3. Bruce Soord / Jonas Renske - "Wisdom Of Crowds"

4. Enshine - "Origin"

5. Russian Circles - "Memorial"

6. James LaBrie - "Impermanent Resonance"

7. Year Of No Light - "Tocsin"

8. Leprous - "Coal"

9. Nami - "The Eternal Light Of The Unconscious Mind"

10. Riverside - "Shrine Of New Generation Slaves"

I think the most pleasant surprise of the year was the plethora of quality "post metal / rock" releases. I'm still bitter ISIS is no longer around, but Cult of Luna, Palms, Rosetta, Russian Circles and Year Of No Light all had quality 2013 releases in my opinion.

However, I'd only consider the TesseracT and Ihsahn albums to be "standout" releases on the year.

10. Kingcrow - In Crescendo

09. Bad Rabbits - American Love

08. Vangough - Between the Madness

07. The Reign of Kindo - Play With Fire

06. The Dear Hunter - Migrant

05. Protest the Hero - Volition

04. Caligula's Horse - The Tide, the Thief, & River's End

03. Haken - The Mountain

02. Riverside - Shrine of New Generation Slaves

01. Leprous - Coal

1. Persefone - Spiritual Migration
2. Haken - The Mountain
3. Last Chance to Reason - Level 3
4. Disperse - Living Mirrors
5. Fates Warning - Darkness in a Different Light
6. Protest the Hero - Violition
7. The Safety Fire - Mouth of Swords
8. Caligula's House - The Tide, The Thief & River's End
9. Steven Wilson - The Raven That Refused to Sing
10. The Ocean - Pelagial

I'm a little late to the game, but better late than never right? I will admit that I am WAY behind on new releases this year, so I will post my top 10 based on what I actually did have time to listen to.

10. This Misery Garden - Cornerstone: I was originally a fan of this band because of Benjamin Nominet (ex - Sybreed singer). I would describe their sound to be dark and depressing, but with some catchy modern rock thrown in there.

9. Dagoba - Post Mortem Nihil Est: Love these French dudes. Grossly underrated IMO. Groovy, melodic, and heavy as hell this album never lets up. Check it out if you haven't already.

8. Mercenary - Through Our Darkest Days: Nothing much to be said here except that this is really, really solid Melodeth. Nothing too original, but still gets the blood flowing.

7. Amon Amarth - Deceiver Of The Gods: Is there a more consistent band than Amon Amarth? I don't know how they do it, but they consistently put out album after great album. The addition of Andy Sneap is a bonus IMO.

6. Soilwork - The Living Infinite: I will admit that when Peter Wichers left (for the 2nd time) I was very skeptical, but this more than exceeded my expectations. Who releases double albums anymore? Not many Metal bands, that's for sure. There really isn't a stinker on either disc too.

5. Prospekt - The Colourless Sunrise: All these great British Prog Metal bands, where do they get them all from?? There's obvious Dream Theater/Symphony X worship here, but Prospekt actually do it with their own flare and style. Phenomenal musicianship and songwriting abound.

4. Fleshgod Apocalypse - Labyrinth: This took me totally by surprise as I'd never really given these Italians a fair listen. Boy am I glad I did! This is brutal technical symphonic black/death metal. If you like it fast and uber-heavy this is the album for you.

3. Carcass - Surgical Steel: I never in a million years expected much from a comeback album, but holy shit they delivered in spades! I was kinda bummed that Michael Amott wasn't involved, but after hearing this it doesn't bother me at all now! Fucking brutal, awesome death metal.

2. Avatarium - Avatarium: I'll admit I'm not much of a doom metal fan, but there are a few exceptions, this one included. I originally checked this out because I'm a big fan of Marcus Jidell and while his playing is indeed off the charts, it's the singer Jennie-Ann Smith who steals the show. Incredible vocals that at times remind me of Adele.

1. Disperse - Living Mirrors: There's nothing that hasn't already been said by Glenn about these kids. I was so completey stoked to see them next year, and I'm still licking my wounds since Glenn announced their replacement. Just fucking amazing guitar work, beautiful vocals, and atmosphere to boot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great to see a lot of love for Vangough and Soilwork (both made my top 5)

Here is my list https://rateyourmusic.com/list/zzax/my_favorite_albums_of_2013/

I also like to look back at my list from the year before and see if my opinions changed on anything with more time/listens under my belt. Having said that my "2013: 2012 album of the year" would definitely be Eclipse's Bleed and Scream. I had it at 24th last year, but I listened the crap out of that album this year. If I were to re-rank, it would easily be in my top ten. That might happen again this year with a few of my late entries (Jolly and Divided Multitude)

5. Prospekt - The Colourless Sunrise: All these great British Prog Metal bands, where do they get them all from?? There's obvious Dream Theater/Symphony X worship here, but Prospekt actually do it with their own flare and style. Phenomenal musicianship and songwriting abound.

I've checked this out once or twice, but never gave it a true chance. I think I'm going to have to revisit.

4. Fleshgod Apocalypse - Labyrinth: This took me totally by surprise as I'd never really given these Italians a fair listen. Boy am I glad I did! This is brutal technical symphonic black/death metal. If you like it fast and uber-heavy this is the album for you.

I'm going to have to check this out when I get home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fleshgod Apocalypse... they remind me of a cross between The Project Hate MCMXCIX and Kataklysm, with a touch of Behemoth thrown in. I dig the video imagery, but the song just didn't hook me. I like where their heads are at, but just didn't get drawn in.

Prospeckt... as I said earlier, I made a pass or two at this one at some point, but probably with half an ear. Prog really hasn't been my thing lately, so I wasn't expecting much. But this is pretty sweet. Definitely need to spend some time with this.

Not to be a dick or anything - but can you guys who have Sunbather up on your lists seriously tell me what's so good about it? I'm legitimately curious. I never got the hype - as I feel like it's a frankly unoriginal sounding record that tons of other bands have done before countless times years ago with the major difference lying in aesthetics and imagery.

I think the most pleasant surprise of the year was the plethora of quality "post metal / rock" releases. I'm still bitter ISIS is no longer around, but Cult of Luna, Palms, Rosetta, Russian Circles and Year Of No Light all had quality 2013 releases in my opinion.

However, I'd only consider the TesseracT and Ihsahn albums to be "standout" releases on the year.

Have you heard the new 65daysofstatic? It's up your alley - Explosions in the Sky style post rock with electronic elements. Absolutely incredible.

Not to be a dick or anything - but can you guys who have Sunbather up on your lists seriously tell me what's so good about it? I'm legitimately curious. I never got the hype - as I feel like it's a frankly unoriginal sounding record that tons of other bands have done before countless times years ago with the major difference lying in aesthetics and imagery.

I don't listen to stuff like this much. For reference, probably the only band I've heard that comes close to sounding like Sunbather is Agalloch, so it definitely was something fresh. What made it really stand out for me was just how memorable each song is. Every song is FILLED with bad ass riffage, beautiful post rock melodies and lead to emotional climaxes. I mean, what else do you need? The album floors me every. damn. time.

I couldn't agree more.

I've never seen an underground album get more hype than Sunbather. Even Rolling Stone and Spin have it as their #1 Metal album of 2013. Granted, few give a shit what those publications think about Metal. Still, how did a band on Deathwish end up #1 on everyone's list, especially with an album that's so completely pedestrian?

When I look at the various "underground" Top XX lists from 2013, I can't help but think they're being compiled by a battalion of recent college grads, sporting mutton chops, wearing Def Leppard shirts ironically, and genuflecting at every release that drops from Profound Lore, Seasons of Midst, Relapse and Southern Lord. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the way some of these bands are pushing boundaries. But many of them are just garage bands who lack any discernible songwriting ability.

I couldn't agree more.

I've never seen an underground album get more hype than Sunbather. Even Rolling Stone and Spin have it as their #1 Metal album of 2013. Granted, few give a shit what those publications think about Metal. Still, how did a band on Deathwish end up #1 on everyone's list, especially with an album that's so completely pedestrian?

When I look at the various "underground" Top XX lists, I can't help but think they're being compiled by a battalion of recent college grads, sporting mutton chops, wearing Def Leppard shirts ironically, and genuflecting at every release that drops from Profound Lore, Seasons of Midst, Relapse and Southern Lord. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the way some of the bands are pushing boundaries. But many of them are just garage bands who lack any discernible songwriting ability.

:worship::worship::worship:

I couldn't agree more.

When I look at the various "underground" Top XX lists from 2013, I can't help but think they're being compiled by a battalion of recent college grads, sporting mutton chops, wearing Def Leppard shirts ironically, and genuflecting at every release that drops from Profound Lore, Seasons of Midst, Relapse and Southern Lord. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the way some of these bands are pushing boundaries. But many of them are just garage bands who lack any discernible songwriting ability.

I mean it's a fact that Deafheaven broke out to completely different crowds and that's fine. In fact it's beyond admirable if you ask me. But my thing is that this isn't a ranking of "most successful" bands of 2013, but top albums of the year and to me Deafheaven didn't bring anything new to the table. I'm glad they're doing well, I'm glad people like it, and I'm glad Jake is making money, but I also don't get it either.

I agree with you though, although I generally like much of the stuff those labels release, but maybe not all of it, and the stuff I do not like falls under the category you describe.

LOLL. Thank you Sir.

I mean it's a fact that Deafheaven broke out to completely different crowds and that's fine. In fact it's beyond admirable if you ask me. But my thing is that this isn't a ranking of "most successful" bands of 2013, but top albums of the year and to me Deafheaven didn't bring anything new to the table. I'm glad they're doing well, I'm glad people like it, and I'm glad Jake is making money, but I also don't get it either.

I agree with you though, although I generally like much of the stuff those labels release, but maybe not all of it, and the stuff I do not like falls under the category you describe.
Deafheaven is a solid band, who's doing their own thing... so good for them. It's just odd the way (so many) people have jumped on this bandwagon.

I'm surprised that more don't like the Ocean disc...

Bird and buildings - Multipurpose Trap
The Ocean - Pelagial
Leprous - Coal
Thought Chamber - Psykerion
Progenesi - Ulisse : L'Alfiere Nero
Chrome Hoof - Chrome Black Gold
Mirthkon - Snacks
Caillou - S/T
Unit Wail - Retort
Anciients - Heart of Oak
Grand General - S/T
Keep It Deep - Hatching
OMB - SwineSong
Vulture Industries - The Tower
Theater of the Absurd - The Myth of Sisyphus

I couldn't agree more.

I understand the need to not like this album, but it is pretty damn good. And I'm not one of those "recent college grads, sporting mutton chops," and I don't even own a Def Leppard shirt. However, their blending of black metal-style vocals with just this gigantic wall of sound, a la My Bloody Valentine, is something that is just not out there right now. Yes, there are bands like Agalloch and Altar of Plagues that are giving black metal a refreshing new look, but I have yet to hear anything that sounds like this. One listen to the song "Vertigo" off of Sunbather will prove that.

I do have a problem calling it black metal, as I truly think that black metal is more than just a sound. Granted, many of the original bands took the lifestyle to a whole new level, but it was more than just blast beats and screeching vocals. I was never a huge fan of black metal, but I do understand their importance in the history of metal overall and appreciate what those bands have brought to the table. Without it, bands like Deafheaven would not have the fresh sound they have.

I understand the need to not like this album, but it is pretty damn good. And I'm not one of those "recent college grads, sporting mutton chops," and I don't even own a Def Leppard shirt. However, their blending of black metal-style vocals with just this gigantic wall of sound, a la My Bloody Valentine, is something that is just not out there right now. Yes, there are bands like Agalloch and Altar of Plagues that are giving black metal a refreshing new look, but I have yet to hear anything that sounds like this. One listen to the song "Vertigo" off of Sunbather will prove that.

I can't really hear anything that Deafheaven's done that Alcest, Wolves In The Throne Room, Nachtmystium, Enslaved, Drudkh, and Agalloch (off the top of my head) haven't done a million times better.

I understand the need to not like this album, but it is pretty damn good.
I have no "need" not to like this album. I saw the band a few years back and enjoyed their live performance. I'm happy for any band who can take their career to the next level. My issue is with the near unanimous praise of this album, by everyone, at every level of music media. There's nothing spectacular or game-changing about this release. As Aeonic points out, this has all been done before and done better.

However, their blending of black metal-style vocals with just this gigantic wall of sound, a la My Bloody Valentine, is something that is just not out there right now.
The list of bands blending Black Metal with other sub-genres is endless and not new.

Yes, there are bands like Agalloch and Altar of Plagues that are giving black metal a refreshing new look, but I have yet to hear anything that sounds like this. One listen to the song "Vertigo" off of Sunbather will prove that.
I've listened to the album a number of times, and none of the tracks stand out.

Keep in mind, I don't care if someone here thinks this belongs in their Top 10 of 2013. Everyone has unique tastes and responds differently to music. As I said, my only issue is with the absurd size of the bandwagon.