Bodom rip-offs? Myth or reality?

WNxScythe

May 16, 2004
What do you guys think about the numerous accusations of just about every melodic finn death band being a bodom rip-off... do you think it has any validity? Personally, I enjoy and listen to a number of these "rip offs", Kalmah for example.

I'm not looking for a flame war here, I just wanna see people's opinions so we can have a *mature* "exchange of ideas" ;)

Haha do I think there's any truth to the accusations? Listen to Imperanon, there's your proof right there. Worthless topic.

The problem with calling Kalmah a CoB rip off is that they do it a hell of a lot better than CoB ever has.

They absolutely don't. Hatebreeder is a very quality power/speed metal album. Everything Kalmah has done has been generic (if enjoyable) power/melo-death.

I think imperanon sound very unoriginal (infact they used to be a bodom cover band). Furthermore, I don't see how these bands can be called melodic death metal since they sound quite different from what i consider melo-death. I think another name is needed to classify this genre.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Haha do I think there's any truth to the accusations? Listen to Imperanon, there's your proof right there. Worthless topic.
Why thank you, you truly are a contributor to the community. :Spin:

There are some bands that could be called Bodom rip-offs like Skyfire, Kalmah and Norther, but they all bring something new to the genre. Is it so different to all the other bands who are rip-offs of Pantera, Slayer, Iron Maiden??? Not really, and sometimes, they can do better than the original. Still, Bodom remains my favorite. I love all their albums. Also, Bodom has evolved pretty much in the last few years... you cannot say that those I listed above continue to sound like them. Does Skyfire's Mind Revolution sounds like Bodom's Sixpounder??? Hell no, but both songs rock.

ubiquitos said:
I think imperanon sound very unoriginal (infact they used to be a bodom cover band). Furthermore, I don't see how these bands can be called melodic death metal since they sound quite different from what i consider melo-death. I think another name is needed to classify this genre.

Melo-death is a subgenre of metal focusing on death metal bands turned slightly more power than other DM bands who focus much more on bludgeoning brutality or technical hooks. Kalmah can be called melo-death because, unlike CoB, they actually have some death metal left in their sound (particularly the drumming and breakdowns). Hope that explanation helped.

I always thought that melo-death were bands like At the Gates, In Flames and friends so CoB never really fitted in that category.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Hah! That's exactly what I thought when I saw this thread. Still, I think Imperanon kicks ass :p

Spirit In Black said:
until those bands release something as good as what CoB has put out they will be called rip offs.....this hasn't happened yet....from what i have listened to
Only Skyfire's Mind Revolution and maybe Timeless Departure might compete with CoB's releases. Kalmah didn't do too much to me, though they are quite good.

AsModEe said:
I always thought that melo-death were bands like At the Gates, In Flames and friends so CoB never really fitted in that category.

CoB are power metal (early stuff was speed, at times, also), not melo-death. Anyone who says otherwise is incorrect, as the power elements (gallopping melodies, fantasy lyrics, choruses, solos, keyboards, etc.) far outweigh any death metal CoB might still have in them.

Erik said:
Fantasy lyrics?

WE ARE HATE CREW FUCK YOU!
WE DON'T CARE WHAT YOU SAY
I AM THE INSANE WAR CHILD!
I PLAY GUITAR!

CHORUS:
FUCK OFF! WE ARE THE BODOM!
YEAH! FUCK YOU! WE DON'T CARE!
I WEAR MAKEUP ALSO

They have plenty of fantastical lyrics. Good imitation though.

Jean-Pierre said:
lmao, you have to admit, that was a good way to sum up Bodom's lyrical content. :D

I think the musical content counte more than the lyrics. they arent too pathetic, and its the music that counts anyway.