Breaking Benjamin - Dear Agony

arv_foh

Brian K
Oct 3, 2006
Columbus, OH
The production on this disc is top notch... loving the drum tones especially, that snare is nasty

Done by David Bendeth, same dude that did Paramore's discs

I can't say I really care for the music that much though and I used to really like BB

Picked it up today with the new AiC and Paramore as well, only listened once. Musically not as good as Phobia, and the guitars seem almost synth-ish? It's pumping a lot, too... not sure if it's in a good way like that Underoath record or not yet.

Yeah, you can't really fault the production at all. I sometimes find myself wishing he'd use a different snare (I've counted the same snare sample on at least 5 of Bendeth's albums so far, maybe more), but it fits so well and always sounds so good, and the room/OH sound changes it enough between albums that I don't really care in the end.

Yeah, you can't really fault the production at all. I sometimes find myself wishing he'd use a different snare (I've counted the same snare sample on at least 5 of Bendeth's albums so far, maybe more), but it fits so well and always sounds so good, and the room/OH sound changes it enough between albums that I don't really care in the end.

Yeah I noticed it was the same sample as Paramore

I think the production does take away from the music. There is no midrange at all. I have to crank the mids in my car from -1 to +4 just to hear the guitars in the mix, turn the subs down from +5 to +0 because the low end is too massive. The vocals are EQ'd so there is no midrange in them either, they are really thin. The only mids are on the drums which is the only thing I'm liking about this record.

The auto-tune on this record makes me want to kill myself! It's so blatant in some areas.

I love their first 3 records. I've played through Dear Agony twice, and so far, it's not very memorable. But it's better than that new 3DG record which could have been decent if it wasn't for the 80% garbage lyrics.

I got this album! Love it! The production is great on this one!

i heard that single and i really wasnt too impressed in any way at all

might check it out though to see how it is as a whole

I thought the CD was garbage. Phobia was a solid CD with some memorable melodies, riffs and song structures. I don't remember ANYTHING from this new CD, nor do I have much of a desire to listen to it ever again after listening to it a few times through.

I actually like the production of Phobia more, but maybe that's just me. The heavy-ish grooves and what-not actually sound like they have balls.

It's impossible to find it here in Sweden. Does anyone know when it will be out in Europe?

not keen on the production or songs on this one at all, checked it out last night

Does anybody know how they get his vocals to sound so gigantic? I know his voice is unique in itself, but I swear I hear tons of harmonies buried in there somewhere. Am I hearing things? Do you think they use something like that auto-tune harmony thing / melodyne or have him actually sing all of that?

I agree, not nearly as good song-writing as Phobia, but the production is great. gonna give it a few more listens as well, but no songs really jumped out at me as great right off the bat, like "So Cold" and "Breathe" did when i first heard them. I really want to like this band more, but this album doesnt seem to be helping. hopefully this is one of those that grows on ya.

i read somewhere that billy corgan writes all their songs as a ghost writer. anyone know if this is true or someone jealous writing bullshit.

i read somewhere that billy corgan writes all their songs as a ghost writer. anyone know if this is true or someone jealous writing bullshit.

He was credited as writer for "Follow", "Forget It" and "Rain" off off We Are Not Alone Here.

I thought the CD was garbage. Phobia was a solid CD with some memorable melodies, riffs and song structures. I don't remember ANYTHING from this new CD, nor do I have much of a desire to listen to it ever again after listening to it a few times through.

I actually like the production of Phobia more, but maybe that's just me. The heavy-ish grooves and what-not actually sound like they have balls.

AGREE

I really dig it. I can't really complain about any of it. Phobia was really great but this one is definitely growing on me too. I really like Anthem of the Angels A LOT. I like that they are using a good bit of strings too.