Burning Shadows

Rider of Theli

The Hellequin
Mar 1, 2004
Hiram, Ga
myspace.com
it's not often I post about a band I've discovered. Usually Fire breath beats us all to most of them. ;) But I couldn't stay silent about this one. You can stream their entire new release Gather, Darkness! [June 2012] on the front page of their website. And I recommend you do that while reading this...

Formed in 2000, BURNING SHADOWS is the Washington DC area’s premiere power metal band. Inspired by American power metal pioneers Iced Earth and Jag Panzer, BURNING SHADOWS has become a force to be reckoned with. Masterminds Tim Regan and Greg Jones, rhythm and lead guitar, respectively, have been the steel core of the band since its first days. Conservatory-trained drummer David Spencer provides thunderous power from behind the drum kit. Tom Davy joined the band in 2009 on lead vocals, ready to crush the false and slay the weak with a soaring vocal range that simply is not matched in the DC area.

Building on the success of their two EPs, The Darkest Winter (2002) and Amongst the Dying Waves (2005), BURNING SHADOWS unleashed their long-overdue first full-length album, Into the Primordial, in April 2008. Copies of this album have reached fans across the US, Canada, and Europe. In 2010, the band offered to its fans the Oathbreaker EP, the first release featuring lead vocalist Tom Davy, free of charge on burningshadows.com (and still available!). The 5-track release features 4 songs from Into the Primordial with Tom’s vocals and 1 new track, “Oathbreaker,” with drums performed by ex-DragonHeart drummer Peter Hunt. Those who claimed Into the Primordial was “too epic” have been verily dispatched by Tom’s performance on the Oathbreaker EP.

When not conquering the ears of fans worldwide via MP3 players and CDs, BURNING SHADOWS prefers to deal the destruction in person. The band has shared the stage with bands such as Testament, Overkill, Sonata Arctica, Therion, Primal Fear, Twisted Tower Dire, and more. Recent festival appearances by the band include New Jersey’s Iron & Steel Fest and Maryland’s Defenders of the Old Fest. BURNING SHADOWS’s tireless efforts have not been unrewarded. The band fought valiantly at the Battle For PaganFest, earning them the honor of the lone opening slot on PaganFest USA II.

Gather, Darkness! is a tightly woven work that opens with a full orchestral Overture, immediately plunges into the twisted world of the Hierarchy in A Thousand Lies, then sows the seeds of rebellion in To Ruin & Divide, and ensures Sathanas’s victory in Breaking the Sanctuary. From the ominous grandeur of “Hymn to Sathanas” to the gut-wrenching, bombastic climax of “The Infamous Dawn,” Gather, Darkness! traverses a world fraught with chaos and unrest via a soundtrack of tight harmonies, haunting vocals, and a thunderous rhythm section, invoking at times feelings of fear, wonder, despair, wrath and even hope.

•“Fantastic, epic metal with strong, deep vocals and smoking-hot riffs.” – Ancient Spirit [11/12]
•“If audio books were more like this, “Gather, Darkness!” would be a sure fire New York Times Best Seller.” – Sorrow Eternal [8.5/10]
•“The second album of the quartet from Maryland has it all.” -PowerMetal.de [9/10]
•“This Maryland band offers classic heavy metal, echoing the giants of Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and Blind Guardian, and develop it with aplomb.” -Danger Dog [4.5/5]

Gather, Darkness! features artwork by JP Fournier, creator of such iconic metal album covers as Immortal’s At the Heart of Winter, Avantasia’s Metal Opera Part II, and DragonForce’s Valley of the Damned. The album was mastered by the renowned *Bill Wolf, known to DC-area metal fans for his work with Deceased, While Heaven Wept, Absolute Vengeance, and Brave.

my favorite track? ...

...rest assured that Burning Shadows will be performing in metro Atlanta by way of Pathfinder Promotions this year. We are currently targeting the weekend of Nov 9th/10th, so mark your calendars now! \m/

Last edited by a moderator:
Me likey a lot. I live within a hundred miles of DC and have never heard of them. I feel like I'm out of the loop anymore. But might have to make a short road trip. Thanks Rider for the info.

What a great sound. Atlanta needs this band to make an appearance. Hoyt? Glenn? Beuler? Its not happening fast enough.

If you're within a reasonable distance (or even if you're not!) PLEASE come on down to Baltimore this year for METAL QUEST! Burning Shadows will be there, PLUS a bunch of other uhm... "specialty" bands (for all you sword-weilding dragon-riding SOBs!). ;)

Facebook Event!

I put this show together without asking any of the bands to buy or sell tickets, so the success of this event is entirely dependent on people showing up. There's a couple of visitors (Dethleheim, Ender's Game) and locals (Aries, Rare Candy), plus, yes, BURNING SHADOWS, who I asked to play as soon as I got wind of them.

So yeah.. if you can come, please do and support these guys and all the other bands!

Wish it were financially feasible for me to make that trip, but I don't see that happening. I suppose I'll have to wait.