Cheers and Jeers IX

Magius

Nov 19, 2005
Atlanta
Cheers:
Glenn.
Crew. Special Kudos to Pierpont. Dude was on problems like lightning.
Any and all involved with the stair tape.
Bands. Even the one's I didn't like.
Jax. For the raffle efforts... again.
Sound men. Best year for sound yet.

Jeers:
Nothing for me this year as far as the fest goes. A few minor equipment problems, and of course the notable final one of the night. Oh well. Shit happens
The asshole who broke the arm off of the Law School parking gate, while trying to follow someone else out without paying.
UGA for getting their asses kicked tonight.

Cheers:

Glenn. Good God fucking Glenn. Thank you so much for giving Elvenking a shot, and letting me be a bigger part of your festival. You are by far the #1 class act here in Atlanta.
The guy at the airport who directed me to how to use the MARTA
Elvenking. It should be obvious why.
The other bands as well, you guys rocked.
PPUSA Crew. Problems happen every year, it's how you guys deal with them that make it a non issue. Thank you. Really. Top notch. I agree with Magius, the sound this year was PHENOMINAL. Everything was balanced and crisp. Everything was tight. You guys outdid yourselves.
The Secuirty. They just don't get enough props, these guys are GREAT. I wish every venue could employ security like Center Stage.
Iced Fucking Earth. Jesus Age Christ how did I not like these guys? I was wrong. I will repent.
Pathosray was exellent. I could have sworn their singer was Asian though for a while.
The Announcement for PPX. Fucking. WOW.
The Fans! Thank you guys most for making Elvenking's debut a major success, and it can't be called anything less. I love you guys!
Being a sponsor is awesome, BTW. I didn't use the perks much save for the Camera/Barrier one, but .... it felt good to know I was more a part of the fest than I've been in the past, and I was treated with copious amounts of awesome by everyone.
AngraRULES, MetalRose, The other guy who shared a room with us who I can't think of your forum name, Shaq, Kaosaur, Curufin, Freakychlyde, BABS, Jax, AMBR, HeavenlyCall, and anyone else I got to know just a little bit better this year who I've forgotten to mention. I love you guys to death, I can't wait to see you next year.
People who knew me just because of my Elvenking fandom. It kind of made me LOL every time. "Oh, are you nailz by any chance?" after giving Glenn a hug immediately following their set.
I've got this cool 2008 VIP badge now. :D
Getting the Mic during Pagan Purity!
Saturday night/Sunday morning after party.
Edit: Also, I noticed a signifigant decrease in smoking in the Lobby to about nil.

Jeers:

Damna's mic going out on the first song. Augh. AUGH. I hold no blame or malice towards anyone on the crew at all, to be clear. It was just AWFUL timing. Time to switch to Energizer.
The crowd for Amporphis/Gamma Ray. Could you guys seriously have sucked the life out of the room harder? Guh.
Fucking Atlanta closing the entire food selling portion of the city at 8pm on Friday night never to reopen. What the living fuck? ... you'd think after 5 years of dealing with it I'd have planned ahead. Nope.
All you jerks who didn't say hi to me! :lol:

All and all, this year ranks up there with PPIV for me. The bands on Saturday didn't really do much for me save the closer though. SD was unexpectedly good.

Cheers
Glenn for the sponsorship opportunity. I can only hope to do this again next year for Power Quest! Glenn is all kinds of the man. Just....wow. Thanks so much for all you do.
Elvenking for my favorite set of the festival and for being SUPER nice guys. You made every penny worth of sponsoring you worth it!
Iron Savior, Rob Rock for exceptional sets!
All the other bands, even though I wasn't a huge fan of some of them, everyone put on a solid show.
nailz, 7thsavior, and the other forum folks I met.
Vendors. You guys were very helpful and the selection this year was awesome. Purchased 27 CDs this year and could have easily done another 40 given the money! Special props to Zane for the $3 off on Saturday. You're the man!
Sponsorship perks - they are awesome. If you ever get the opportunity, DO IT!

Jeers
Trying to figure out parking friday. We got there at 10:00AM and I wasn't totally sure how to deal with that but thankfully no boot...no towing so it wasn't a huge deal.
Mic going out during elvenking's 1st song, but again, nothing major.

Really, there were no major drawbacks for me this year. This would be my one of my top progpowers of all time and I can't WAIT until next year.

Cheers-Everyone and everything this year
Jeers,me ending up with a room out in Smyrma,but even then,I only paid $29 a night in a great hotel,and also allowed me to be sober for an entire ProgPower for the first time,which is now a Cheers as for the first time at a Prog Power I don't feel like my 18 wheeler ran me over on the Sunday after Prog Power(other than being a little sleep deprived)
and the only other jeer is my anual losing my voice

Cheers:

The Beautiful bartender girl on the bar! (the one on the left) Goog God. I haven't seen someone so beautiful since.... fuck, I'm speechless.
Elvenkings set was awesome. (Except for the gay dude with the swords and the horrible asian looking groupie girl who was blowing their dicks at the signing table and ruined the experience for me, at least)
Feeling the happines in S.U.E. and Pathosray.
During the S.U.E., glenn caugh 3 mexicans with cameras right infront of me... it was so funny because glenn is awesome. That made my day!

...one word... MUSTASCH! Fuck, did I enjoyed their set! Awesome, simply awesome! Drinking free whiskey, and just jumping the shit out of me during Double Nature.Seeing glenn's happyness after their set was great hahah

The Down side:
Problems with the Mic and guitar but, WTF, nobody's perfect.
Glenns issue with the camera. Glenn you need to relax a little, bro!! :)

Cheers:
Elvenking, Riverside, SUE and Mustache
Mustache's singer obvious joy about playing in the US.
Rob Rock & JOP aren't my standard fare of music but awesome sets overall.
Orphaned Land being announced for PPX.

Jeers:
Headliner setup times. At least Amorphis started on time but the rest of the night had been rolling on 15 minutes ahead of schedule so their setup time went from 45 to an hour. Iced Earth was even worse. JOP ran a little late but IE didn't go on until after midnight so they took at least an hour and a half for setup. I was on the verge of falling alseep until I got my second wind right before Dracula.

Drunk guy in the white shirt during Iced Earth set. I wasn't in the pit but he was pissing off a lot of people down there and a fight was pretty close to starting a few times. Quite a bit of pushing was going around at several points during the set.

Laser's Edge for taking all my damn money *shakes fist* :)

All I can think of sitting in the airport waiting for my flight :-/

Drunk guy in the white shirt during Iced Earth set. I wasn't in the pit but he was pissing off a lot of people down there and a fight was pretty close to starting a few times. Quite a bit of pushing was going around at several points during the set.

I remember that! I remember thinking how at any other metal show that pushing would be pretty ordinary.

C:Anyway, had lots of fun, enjoyed the bands I was there to see, and some of the others as well, hung out with some cool new people, and got to catch up with some I don't see often.

J:It's too bad how Iced Earth's set had to end, but great overall. Oh, and it sucked how I couldn't find any Tankard or Municipal Waste CDs at any vendor. That's it.

I saw that happening from the seats :lol: Iced Earth were playing a song I wasn't familiar with, so I was watching the situation for entertainment, hehe. He was ridiculous.

Cheers:
1) The main lead-guitar for Rob Rock. Holy shit, that man was on fire.
2) Chris Oliva ... errr .... JOP's guitarist ....
3) see other threads .. I've gushed too much already

Jeers:
1) Soundman for Iced Earth. A guitar solo starts and I can't hear it. I immediately look over to the soundguy: nothing happening. Near solo's end, he finally walks over and pushes a slider. Hey, the guitar is higher in the mix now. Great! Oh wait .. solo's over :Smug: Happened for the entire set.

2) Jon's amp rig taking a dump. I don't know what he was using since they had the amps hidden away, but there seemed to be a few rectos that they could've slaved into his setup. Just confused as to how a headliner could have no backup ... *sigh* and during my 2nd favorite song of theirs, no less.

3) Piet's guitar cabinet not mic'ed properly or something. Throughout most of the set, it was difficult to hear his guitar clearly. The other guy was coming through fine. Fourth song from the end or so, I see a tech walk over and move the cab mic: Piet comes roaring through the mix :headbang: Though, his feedback-prone setup became moreso after that, hahaha. If only that had happened much much sooner. Oh well, still a damned good set.

jeers:
someone pissing in a bottle during a show and throwing it on the ground. what the fuck?

Cheers: Everything about everything. Awesome job crew! So few technical issues and all solved immediately. Amazing sound throughout the weekend (seemed like it was a new sound guy? Saturday was perfect!) Bands kicked ass. Not a single lackluster set.

Residence Inn : What a great place to stay. Loved the suite. Love the fact that I stayed at Marriotts almost every time on work travel this year so I had enough points for 2 free nights :)

Jeers: This goes for whoever I saw at the hotel this morning trying to figure out how he was going to fly home after getting robbed. Luckily you can fly without ID, just a pain in the ass. Not sure if it was a ProgPower guy but that really sucks.

---

About Iced Earth. They ran their own show. Own sound guys, own equip. So not anything related to PP crew (afaik).

2) Jon's amp rig taking a dump. I don't know what he was using since they had the amps hidden away, but there seemed to be a few rectos that they could've slaved into his setup. Just confused as to how a headliner could have no backup ... *sigh* and during my 2nd favorite song of theirs, no less.

The problem was that it wasn't his rig as he thought. They replaced everything (cables, amps, etc) and nothing worked. It happened during the last song (there was nothing scheduled after that tune). Obviously, Jon was upset about it as he didn't understand why his crew couldn't get it working (their crew, their equipment) and called it a night. We only lost one song.

Turns out the problem was that his guitar fried. My crew guys can explain just how rare that is in detail.

I don't understand why someone would spend all this money on a ticket, make all the travel arrangements and financial planning for this, only to break one of the clear cut rules like digital photography. Why would someone even think a risk is worth it after putting all the effort into going?!

The problem was that it wasn't his rig as he thought. They replaced everything (cables, amps, etc) and nothing worked. It happened during the last song (there was nothing scheduled after that tune). Obviously, Jon was upset about it as he didn't understand why his crew couldn't get it working (their crew, their equipment) and called it a night. We only lost one song.

Turns out the problem was that his guitar fried. My crew guys can explain just how rare that is in detail.

I haven't seen a guitar fry in a long f'ing time. Its really rare for the pickups to just die (or any other part). Hell Eddie Van Halen has been playing on mostly dead pickups for years! (So nearly dead, that when a guy took it apart to understand how he gets the sounds he has thought he killed the guitar because he was getting basically no voltage from the pickups.) And some pickups, without repair, are still working from beginning days of electric guitars!

This was my first Progpower,Glenn and if I'm alive it will not be my last!!! You are the man and I enjoyed getting to meet you and thank you in person on Thursday night.If there were more promoters like you,the music industry in this country wouldn't be so screwed up.

He probably jolted something loose during Stormrider :lol:

Thanks for clearing that up, though. That is some rare shit, and I hope Jon was able to shake it off later and realize that he played the Hell out of that set.

Seeing masterful lead-work with JOP followed by masterful rhythm work with Iced Earth .. I'm still amazed

Cheers to Glenn - always always always amazing. thank you again - you kick ass :headbang:

Cheers to Tommy and the Crew - seriously, you all do an amazing job keeping things running as smoothly as possible, and with smiles (at least for *me* there were smiles :loco: )

Cheers to the security guys - they always do a great job, and give my fragile ego a boost as well ;)

as for jeers...none about the fest. it wasn't perfect, but what is, truly?

however, i will jeer myself, because i met some fantastic people this year, and i told you - i will not forget your faces, but i WILL forget your names...so please understand for next year - i'm just a little challenged like that.

and i will jeer centerstage for denying us our Strongbow this year :(

thanks again to Glenn :worship:, the Crew for making it happen and the great fans who make this fest worth coming back to

Cheers:

Rob Rock. Just....wow.
Blanche for being my friend, and for taping our ad to her boobs.
Big Mike and Tracie for letting us squat in their room.
Queso, for adding latin spice to our evenings.
Brent, for wearing shoes to this festival. His precious.
Deron, for allowing degenerate & indiscriminate spamming. From us that is.

Jeers: None really. It was a really good year!