Chris Squire diagnosed with leukemia

Met-Al

Oct 12, 2004
This is some rather disappointing news. I know he's not getting any younger, but let's hope this isn't the way he goes. It goes without saying just how influential this man and his music is. It'll be weird seeing Yes without their sole original member this summer, but I have nothing but respect for him for insisting that the show goes on.

Founding YES bassist Chris Squire has been diagnosed with a form of leukemia called acute erythroid leukemia. As a result, he will be forced to miss the group's tour this summer for the first time to receive medical treatment in Phoenix, where he resides. He will be temporarily replaced by Billy Sherwood, who played guitar and keyboards as a touring member of YES in 1994 and as a full member from 1997 to 2000.

"This will be the first time since the band formed in 1968 that YES will have performed live without me," the 67-year-old Squire said in a statement. "But the other guys and myself have agreed that Billy Sherwood will do an excellent job of covering my parts and the show as a whole will deliver the same YES experience that our fans have come to expect over the years."

YES's co-headlining North American tour with TOTO will kick off on August 7 in Mashantucket, Connecticut.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/fo...-diagnosed-with-leukemia/#Jzja6M6rWrbyHZPB.99

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Quite the bummer. I played the hell out of that live "Yesshows" album when I was a youngster, and I always voted for Squire in those Circus Magazine polls. Truly one of the greats...!

Yep yep. Chris's bass work on "The Fish" in Yessongs was one of my favorites back in the day, What a talent to be lost to the likes of cancer. Really sorry to hear this.

Yikes. That one's NOT good. :-(
I love Chris Squire. His bass playing is unique and his singing voice is fantastic. I'm going in August to see the Yes/Toto tour. Chris can never be replaced, but I'm sure Billy Sherwood will still do a great job as a fill-in. He's a very talented guy. But, of course the main thing is for Chris to get well and stay well.

I love Chris Squire. His bass playing is unique and his singing voice is fantastic. I'm going in August to see the Yes/Toto tour. Chris can never be replaced, but I'm sure Billy Sherwood will still do a great job as a fill-in. He's a very talented guy. But, of course the main thing is for Chris to get well and stay well.

Yes was one of the top ten most influential bands in my life personally. In fact, Bill Bruford's playing on 'The Yes Album' is what made me want to take up playing drums. That said, Tales From Topographic Oceans was STILL a self indulgent snoozer. :-D

He who hesitates is simply slower than most.

Wow !! Sad news. I wish him all the best. I am a guitarist "by trade" I guess you could say, but am a multi-instrumentalist and play bass as well. Chris is absolutely one of the best bassists ever to grace this earth.

Bryant