Cool on Leaves Eyes

Sweet! Leaves Eyes are great - been listening to them for a while and am very excited to hear they're added to PP XI! Never seen them live, so I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Not sure what drama I missed over the last few days, but I'm on the side that's glad to see them added! :D

I'm guessing that Leaves Eyes will be touring with one of the ProgPower bands and would basically have been in town or something anyhow thus is probably 'cheaper' for Glenn than what it would normally cost. But still, very cool to have an extra 'free' band for the crowd. Hopefully it also = more sales :)

My guess is they'll be touring with Kamelot, and we'll be seeing Liv Kristine sing "The Haunting" with Roy Khan. The two bands have toured together before, and Liv sang that song with Khan before.

And like everyone else, I wonder what happened in the announcement thread after I went to bed. Apparently something to do with the band's English, which is a shame. It's not nice to make fun of people who don't have English as their first language, especially if they're performing in it.

I'm not much of an LE fan, but the two albums I do have, I didn't notice anything odd about the English.

I think it is a great addition. While not my favorite fem fronted metal band, they do sound good. I saw them live a couple of years ago and they did fine. And adding another female element to the festival is a good thing in my book.
:headbang:

I for one am excited about that addition. Going to be a late night! I haven't caught them since they opened for Blind Guardian, and most of the tours they are on either haven't come here or haven't had other bands I'm interested in. But for what this band does, they are one of if not the best. Thanks Glenn.

I'm actually surprised I have been able to hold your interest this long based on your increasingly diverging tastes.
For as much as I've grown to appreciate more extreme genres, Prog and Power always make up at least half of my Top 10. As of now, my Top 10 (without putting much thought into it):

Futures End
Pathosray
Redemption
Voyager
Amorphis
Fairyland
Drudkh
Dreadnaught
Fen
Hypocrisy

As for your comments in the other thread, they were fine. I deleted the entire thread (including the positives) so it was a level playing field. There is a big difference between criticism of their music as opposed to making fun of a non-English band's use of the language.
Ahhh... completely missed that.

Zod

I'm actually surprised I have been able to hold your interest this long based on your increasingly diverging tastes.

As for your comments in the other thread, they were fine. I deleted the entire thread (including the positives) so it was a level playing field. There is a big difference between criticism of their music as opposed to making fun of a non-English band's use of the language.

Knowing many non-English speakers, many of which being in bands themselves, and myself being one who has been studying the English language for some time, I have to say that anyone who does this is a high caliber asshole (and chances are, probably doesn't know English very well themselves!).

BTWZ Zod, props for the Fen and Drudkh nods. They put out some stellar albums this year.

I'm going to wait to see what the Thursday line up looks like. But if it lacks a Pagan's Mind or a Vanden Plas, we'll likely use our ProgPower vacation days elsewhere.

Zod

I'm gonna have to say I'm right with you, there. With EVE Fanfest (yeah I'm a big nerd, thanks) right around the same time as ProgPower, there's really only a few bands that could play that would keep me from going to Iceland instead.

And your Top 10 all rate pretty highly on my list as well and I think Glenn would probably apply the same description to me. My personal feeling here is that we've gone through just about the whole list of interesting bands in these genres to see, barring one that just don't work out or are cost prohibitive. Circus Maximus is pretty much the main reason I came this year, which is fine...they were the reason I came to ProgPower in the first place! I just don't really have a compelling band like that this year. Nocturnal Rites & Tarot come close but it's not the same pull. I guess the point that I'm trying to drive home here is that a lot of people I know who've come to ProgPower and then stopped love bands like Mercenary and Amorphis. There isn't really a band like that to pull us (as in that crowd of people) in, I feel. Maybe it's really just an insignificant number of people, I don't know, but with most of the interesting bands on the list having been gone through, I can't imagine not having a few more of those kind of bands on the lineup.

Anyway, I'm not here to criticize. I'm not the promoter and I fully understand and respect the decisions that Glenn has made here, but I'll just probably have to sit this one out.

I'm gonna have to say I'm right with you, there. With EVE Fanfest (yeah I'm a big nerd, thanks) right around the same time as ProgPower, there's really only a few bands that could play that would keep me from going to Iceland instead.

I wonder if the guy who recently busted up one of the largest corps will be going there.

I can't imagine that fanfest is all that much fun to be honest. Though the company does have operations near Atlanta now. Maybe they'll have a US one some day.

I've never listened to Leaves' Eyes, but I didn't like Theatre of Tragedy. How do the two bands compare?

Night and day. They are two totally different genres altogether. ToT was dark, gothic metal (at least until they went all dance-club like), Leaves' Eyes are more folky, with a lot of northern European influences.

Aside from Liv Kristine's vocals, they really have nothing in common.

I wonder if the guy who recently busted up one of the largest corps will be going there.

I can't imagine that fanfest is all that much fun to be honest. Though the company does have operations near Atlanta now. Maybe they'll have a US one some day.

Actually, everyone I play with tells me that Fanfest is a friggin' blast. It's got as much of a party atmosphere as ProgPower, apparently.

And yeah, the CVA breakup is serious lulz, but it's been suggested it may have been an illegally accessed account.

I'm not sure what went on in that thread after I left my own comments (which I didn't think were all that derogatory). Given that the band's last CD didn't sell six billion copies, I'm guessing their fully aware that not everyone on earth is a fan. Regardless, the addition of Leaves Eyes merely made me realize how little this year's line up, as a whole, interests me. I'm going to wait to see what the Thursday line up looks like. But if it lacks a Pagan's Mind or a Vanden Plas, we'll likely use our ProgPower vacation days elsewhere.

Ditto on all counts. Sorry if I seemed "snide", as that was certainly not my intention. I think it's a relatively well-known fact that I am rather... shall we say selective?... and usually don't particularly like the majority of the roster. This year seems to be a particularly bad year for my tastes, but good for seemingly almost everyone else.

Shaye

Actually, everyone I play with tells me that Fanfest is a friggin' blast. It's got as much of a party atmosphere as ProgPower, apparently.

And yeah, the CVA breakup is serious lulz, but it's been suggested it may have been an illegally accessed account.

Time to move this discussion to the Lounge please.

I've never listened to Leaves' Eyes, but I didn't like Theatre of Tragedy. How do the two bands compare?

I liked ToT and dislike Leaves Eyes so maybe it's the band for you. ;)
They're not really much alike despite both being termed gothic metal. Of course, ToT has been more in the industrial rock and futurepop genres since 2000. I got into them when I was listening to a lot of electronica because VNV Nation did a remix of Machine. This was before I even really got into metal. All LE's songs have nordic themes and there's a lot of beauty & the beast vocals. Kind of a less symphonic and more refined version of early Within Temptation. Best I can come up with.

Honestly, maybe PP will change my opinion of them as part of the problem I've had both times seeing them as an opener is that her voice does not project and Alex constantly yelling over her to get the crowd hyped only made matters worse. Maybe someone at the soundboard who will actually adjust her vocals so they're audible will help.
I joke about the accents and banter but it's the only thing I even like about seeing them live so far.

I LOVE old Theatre of Tragedy, like Velvet Darkness They Fear, but do not like what theve been doing since then. Leaves Eyes will be a cool addition to the line up though! Not my favorite but I do dig a lot of their songs! Should be awesome to see them live...

Apparently lots of people have not seen their latest DVD concert called "We Came With the Northern Winds" ...... its absolutely fabulous.

Now - I'm not a huge fan of the band on CD .... most of their material is "samey" and lackluster. I'm not sure if its due to the productions (they don't record a lot of bass) or Liv's vocals (she is up and down on disc) .......

However -- their live show headlining the "Femme Metal Voices" is first rate and incredible. From the stage presence, to the sound, to the visuals (of which I'm sure they wont have at PP), if they repeat this intensity, it will be an incredible show. Lots of bands don't translate well onto CD from a live stage show, and Leaves Eyes unfortunately is one of them ..... that said, if they do what they do best (play live) they will slay at ProgPower.....

Can't wait to see them -- great choice Glenn !!!!!

From the stage presence, to the sound, to the visuals (of which I'm sure they wont have at PP), if they repeat this intensity, it will be an incredible show.

They'd BETTER bring the damn boat!!! Seriously, what kind of a show DOESN'T have a full size Viking longboat on stage??? :headbang:

I gotta say I have never seen them live and I enjoy them on disc so I am ready to see them. Though my initial reaction was, why? But the Kamelot opening slot makes sense

Yeah, they don't do that much for me. Liv's vocals aren't anything that stand out for me and the music isn't anything special. I can sit through it, tho, and probably enjoy the set. It is mostly a "meh" addition.