D.S.O! WOW!!!

Never liked 'em, but I stayed for the entire set and have to set it was enjoyable to WATCH, but there's no way this circus-tent nonsense will find a way into my cd player...although to be fair, they are excellent musicians, highly talented, etc.

Never liked 'em, but I stayed for the entire set and have to set it was enjoyable to WATCH, but there's no way this circus-tent nonsense will find a way into my cd player...although to be fair, they are excellent musicians, highly talented, etc.

"circus-tent nonsense"? ouch :( wow. ok, it is your opinion, and you are welcome to it...

as a fan of DSO, i thank you for giving them a shot and for having some nice things to say about them :) and for not writing them off without giving them a chance!!!

I wouldn't hold it against anyone if they didn't like DSO. It is definitely different stuff and not for everyone. To be honest, I couldn't get into Freak Kitchen when they were here. I found their set entertaining, but nothing that would cause me to buy a CD. I can see people feeling the same way about DSO.

As for DSO, I haven't been able to get the new CD out of my player. It isn't a perfect album (the songs in the first half are very challenging at times), but I'm enjoying it. Then again, I'm usually a fan of genre mash-ups in general.

About two years or so ago, Ken Golden handed me a CD and said, "you need to hear this". That CD was the first DSO disc. It instantly became one of my favorites of the decade, and I have been talking it up since, playing it for anyone that was in my car or whatever. I kept telling people last year before the announcement that the band I wanted to see on the video was DSO, and when they were announced, I was thrilled. I had been anticipating this for a full year.

They complete exceeded my expectations and delivered not only the performance of the weekend, but one of the best performances I have ever seen.

I was somewhat worried, given the vast negative reaction that the band had been gettin here, that I might be alone in front of the stage during the set. But when the crowd started chanting "DSO! DSO! DSO!" right before the curtain opened, I was happy that other people were going to be into them. And then they started playing. Holy fuck, they were amazing. Such energy, and you could tell they loved the crowd reaction. I thought the set list was perfect, and despite the fact that I did not hear the new CD before the performance (and I still haven't, having just returned from Japan), I really enjoyed the new tunes. Seriously, other than Freak Kitchen, I cannot remember having this much fun at a show. And I am so glad I finally took advantage of one of my sponsorship privileges and stood in front of the stage for their performance. I was jumping around and yelling and generally looking like an idiot (though, given who I am and what I look like, looking like an idiot comes pretty naturally) and not caring what anyone thought, as I was having a great time.

And I was energized by the people at the barrier, who were FUCKING INSANE throughout the set. Seriously, your energy level was amazing, and you made the show even more fun. I only know a few of your names (I talked to jbrille the next day, when she was sporting her awesome "Three Cats" shirt), but you people were awesome. And I almost teared up when everyone was singing along during the quiet parts. I sometimes think I'm alone in enjoying the music that I do, so it was cool to see so many other people connecting to it. It was also awesome to look to the other side of the stage and see Reverend Su (who rules, BTW) and someone else dancing. As I told her later, when (and notice I said "when", not "if") DSO plays again, we are SO dance partners!

After the set, when I went back stage to turn in my front-of-stage pass, I hugged Glenn and thanked him profusely for bringing in this band. I cannot wait to see them again. I have never met any of the bands I've sponsored over the years, but I made it a point to go wait in their autograph line (something I've never done at any previous PP) to thank them for putting on such a good show. I ran into the bass player in the lobby that night, and we had a nice conversation about music and Sweden, a country that I've visted three times and really love. All the band members were super-cool, and I'm glad I got a chance to talk to them.

Oh, and to anyone that wasn't a fan originally, but gave them a chance, I say "thank you". I'm not always a fan of every band that plays this (or any other) fest, but I always give every band a chance live. Sometimes I am surprised (I had not heard one note of Sabaton before they started playing, but they totally impressed me), sometimes not (so not going there!), but I think it's important to give everyone a chance to impress. I cannot tell you how many people came up to me later and said something like "I was only going to watch one song, but they were so good I watched the whole set!". So glad everyone had fun.

So yeah, I really liked them. And as I've told many people at this point, DSO and Freak Kitchen MUST play the same night at a future PP! How much fun would that be?!?

dt

Thank you, thank you very much for sponsoring them. You made my festival. I was one of the crazy people in the front. :D

You're insane.

They shared Performance of the Weekend honors with Crimson Glory, IMO.

Late I know, and maybe it was because I was busy trying to get some pictures, but ... it didn't click, and I really, really wanted it to. I think it would if I gave the entire set my full attention.

And I was energized by the people at the barrier, who were FUCKING INSANE throughout the set. Seriously, your energy level was amazing, and you made the show even more fun. I only know a few of your names (I talked to jbrille the next day, when she was sporting her awesome "Three Cats" shirt), but you people were awesome. And I almost teared up when everyone was singing along during the quiet parts. I sometimes think I'm alone in enjoying the music that I do, so it was cool to see so many other people connecting to it. It was also awesome to look to the other side of the stage and see Reverend Su (who rules, BTW) and someone else dancing. As I told her later, when (and notice I said "when", not "if") DSO plays again, we are SO dance partners!

After the set, when I went back stage to turn in my front-of-stage pass, I hugged Glenn and thanked him profusely for bringing in this band. I cannot wait to see them again. I have never met any of the bands I've sponsored over the years, but I made it a point to go wait in their autograph line (something I've never done at any previous PP) to thank them for putting on such a good show. I ran into the bass player in the lobby that night, and we had a nice conversation about music and Sweden, a country that I've visted three times and really love. All the band members were super-cool, and I'm glad I got a chance to talk to them.

Oh, and to anyone that wasn't a fan originally, but gave them a chance, I say "thank you". I'm not always a fan of every band that plays this (or any other) fest, but I always give every band a chance live. Sometimes I am surprised (I had not heard one note of Sabaton before they started playing, but they totally impressed me), sometimes not (so not going there!), but I think it's important to give everyone a chance to impress. I cannot tell you how many people came up to me later and said something like "I was only going to watch one song, but they were so good I watched the whole set!". So glad everyone had fun.

So yeah, I really liked them. And as I've told many people at this point, DSO and Freak Kitchen MUST play the same night at a future PP! How much fun would that be?!?

dt

you are too kind :oops: we will TOTALLY be dance partners the next time DSO are in town...

and i would love to have me a set of Freak Kitchen, Mustasch and DSO...i'm just sayin ;)

::happy dance::
and thank you again for sponsorship - The Su is VERY happy :headbang:

dt

Thank you so much for sponsoring them! This was the band I was most excited to see by far. I pouted at my friends until they let me up on the barrier for the show, and I had such a blast jumping up and down and "dancing." I so wish that I could have been up front swing dancing too ;)

Thank you so much for sponsoring them! This was the band I was most excited to see by far. I pouted at my friends until they let me up on the barrier for the show, and I had such a blast jumping up and down and "dancing." I so wish that I could have been up front swing dancing too ;)

we TOTALLY would have loved you up there with us...The Su likes to dance with the hot chicks ;)