Do you listen to more or less metal than before?

deffinately less metal ... i love some metal, but i also like indie rock and some german hiphop stuff (=very open minded indeed^^
5 years ago, i couldnt live without a slayer riff or something. but this music is too ... generic to touch me. i dont know why, but it is so ;)

metallica - first 5 albums
megadeth - rust in peace
dream theater - all, it's a guilty pleasure

I can go with Metallica up till the S&M effort (Load/Reload were quite subpar tho), I actually liked that one. But they should have retired after that.

As far as Megadeth goes, I gave up on them after the Risk disaster.

With Dream Theater I started to lose interest after SDOIT. I did enjoy a couple of songs from TOT and SC, however.

Definitely less...I could say I only listen to 3 or 4 metal bands frequently, Including Opeth, Katatonia and....and.....errrr......I forgot the rest....

maybe it's because I helplessly relate the music genre with the "metalhead" style; I got tired of being one; following stupid behavioral rules to show off your vision of the world and life, influenced by the music.

For me, the "style" has ruined the music genre, so I don't feel comfortable anymore listening to metal everyday, as i used to.

Sometimes, and somehow, after a couple of beers, I feel the NEED to listen to some metal, but that's it... :(

Maybe now I'm a simplER man, who enjoys listening to good music, without labels nor genres. I could say I'm more of a "wide-spectrum rocker".

Or...I'm sick, or maybe crazy.

My meal listening reached it's peak like a 1.5 years ago and now I listen to it a bit less compared to other types of music. I don't really think about it like that though. I just listen to what sounds good to me.

Well.....
Power metal - used to like bands like Helloween, Gamma Ray, Blind Guardian (I still listen to them), Sonata Arctica, stratovarius :)erk:), but not anymore.
Symphonic metal - only Nightwish (and that not too often)
Black metal - except Negura Bunget and Burzum, I don't listen to anything else
Death metal - early In Flames, Dark Tranquillity, Soilwork, but rarely
Thrash metal: Megadeth, Slayer and early Metallica
Gothic: only Moonspell
Progressive: Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Queensryche, etc.
Doom: Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Anathema.
Heavy metal: Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio.

I'm more into Faith No More/ Tool stuff.
AND Nine Inch Nails.:heh:

Less and less, wondering where it goes.

Yeah, to me it is like metal has been slowly but surely on it's way out. Ultimately what probably happends is that one ends up liking only one or two styles or a couple of bands.

Actually I think I've been listening to less and less music, not just metal. I only listen to music while going to school and coming back, which accounts for approx. 1.5 hrs per day, and I go to school about three days per week. Playing is much more fun, you can learn about the intricacies and details of a song ten times better by playing than listening.

I spend lots of time listening to all kinds of music. I'd say 60% of it is metal which is much less than I did in the past.
There's a lot of good music to choose from out there. This forum & the online community in general has really opened my ears.

^^ That kinda funny. I realised sometime ago that when I learned a music on guitar, it seemed to ruin it. Like if because I knew it so deeply, there was no mystery or anything really attractive with the song. Am I the only one here? And the paradox is that I feel the need to learn these songs. :err:

^^ That kinda funny. I realised sometime ago that when I learned a music on guitar, it seemed to ruin it. Like if because I knew it so deeply, there was no mystery or anything really attractive with the song. Am I the only one here? And the paradox is that I feel the need to learn these songs. :err:

yea, i got the same problem. benighted and hours of wealth are two good examples.

i have long phases were i listen to a lot of metal and phases were i listen to other stuff, eg. jazz, or electronica. atm i'm in a discovery phase, finding out about new stuff every other day. half of it being metal, but also acoustic stuff or whatever sounds good.

Have a lot of bands on my iPod but only listening to these with any regularity...

Death: Bloodbath and Morbid Angel
Black: DSO and Bathory
Thrash: Metallica and Testament
Doom: Krux and Esoteric
Heavy: Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden
Extreme Prog: Opeth, Enslaved, and Cynic

The rest of it is really just me putting on some random metal when I want metal but don't want to get bored of the above favs too quickly.