Dream Theater Live

Different animal altogether. SDV is a lot more painful and personal I think.

That's kind of a moot point. An enormous amount of Alice In Chains' 'Dirt' is based off of Layne's drug problems but that doesn't stop the band from playing it live even after Layne no longer being around. SDV is a Dream Theater song - credited to Dream Theater (with songwriting credits to Moore of course). DT owns the song though, not Moore. They can and should play it more often because it's always been one of my faves.

Fire breath nailed this review. Just saw the DT gang in Pittsburgh with the same set list. I have liked their newer material, but their live performance has cultivated new interest on my part. This is my sixth DT show and each one has been very good.

I made a playlist of this setlist and I have to say: nice. One third new album, one third Awake, one third Scenes from a Memory, and Space Dye Vest? Weirdly, that's probably my favorite Dream Theater song, despite being so far from the norm.

It's 100% Moore but it's still a Dream Theater song. Also I agree with you that they'll never put out anything as good as the first 3 albums. Octavarium came close in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of Moore's original demo (with Moore on vocals) on cassette somewhere….haven't listened to it in years, but I do remember that it's absolutely unchanged from the version on "Awake", so it was definitely 100% Moore's song. Oddly, I have no idea where I got the tape….I"ll have to go see if I can find it and re-listen.

Craig

Dream Theater were Incredible at The Tower Theater in Philadelphia on Thursday, March 27! I was happy to see a Metal/Rock show there! Last time I saw a show there was The Doors with Ian Asbury on Vocals.
When I arrived to the Tower and needed to hit the Men's Room, they had a make shift area out side with guy selling beers outside of it. I thought that was funny!
Dream Theater Brought it. That was my second time seeing them live. First Time was on 2005's Gigantic Tour from Megadeth!

Amazing show last night in a near 100-year-old gothic style theater I had not been to before. First row, mezzanine, center section. Amazing view of everything there was to behold on stage.

Wonder if anybody's ever figured out how many notes Petrucci plays per song/album/show? I lost count at about 70 million. :OMG: