Endbound-new quality melodic power metal

mel_progson

Dec 10, 2006
Oz
Awarded points - catchy tune, good production, prog elements, band members wearing gold paint.

Deducted points - they're not in a warehouse in their video.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, well, well..... Looked what arrived in my mail today (Thanks Lance! :) ). I've not listened to it all the way through, but was listening to it in the truck while running errands (mostly getting landscaping blocks for this new retaining wall me and my neighbor built in my front yard) and I really like what I heard. However, what else also came in the same package is the new Lost In Thought CD as well, Opus Arise, and it is friggan INCREDIBLE! THAT is what I got cranking on the ol' Klipsch rig right now! :D

I really want to throw this one on the system now that the Lost In Thought CD ended, but getting pretty late here and don't want to risk pissing off the neighbors (and believe me, that system is more than capable :Smokedev: ). Maybe tomorrow evening.....

I really want to throw this one on the system now that the Lost In Thought CD ended, but getting pretty late here and don't want to risk pissing off the neighbors (and believe me, that system is more than capable :Smokedev: ). Maybe tomorrow evening.....

How'd you like Lost in Thought?

How'd you like Lost in Thought?

I thought it was friggan INCREDIBLE! And believe me, it sounds awesome on the high-end rig as well! Will be interesting to take this down to Richmond this weekend and play it on one of my buddy's even higher-end rig.

Really is a well put-together package. Heavy, yet melodic, but still has all the cool hallmarks of prog metal as well (being technical without being pretentious).

Has anyone heard this FULL release yet?? If so, what are your thoughts? I know it's out, but I haven't picked it up yet, just wanted some opinions on what to expect, as I only heard the one song posted, and I LOVED that song.. My fear is that it might be the only good song :(....
Perhaps if Glenn's heard it, he will post his thoughts, as his taste seems to be pretty close to mine...

This review listed below wasn't too positive about the cd....http://www.metalkaoz.com/album-reviews/1124-enbound-and-she-says-gold.html

Thoughts on that review posted? Accurate? Inaccurate?

I am finally getting around to actually listening to this thing all the way through on my big stereo system (not just a few tracks here and there in the car)...

So far, really like what I am hearing, but I am only the second track in.

I'll edit this post (or make a new one, if necessary) to give you my thoughts once I get a chance to hear it all the way through.

EDIT: Okay, I just listened to this all the way through.

As for the review, okay, it is not as heavy as other albums around. That I can agree with. If you are expecting Powerwolf from this, than you are looking in the wrong place. However, I just don't agree with the whole "AOR" comments in that review, though. It is certainly melodic and not as heavy as some other bands/albums, but still plenty heavy enough to qualify as "melodic power metal" in my book. The closest comparison that I can think of is something like Borealis. In fact, the first track kinda reminds of Borealis. The production on this album is also extremely good, though. It sounds awesome on my big living room stereo rig. However, for some reason my Denon 5 disk CD player decided to be a dick on the last track and started skipping (I guess it doesn't like Michael Jackson covers ;) ). I put the disk in the Elan Via!DJ music server (which also has a CD player built-in) and it played fine there, so it is not the disk. I hope this is not a sign of my beloved Denon starting to crap out. Anyway, I digress...

I do agree on one point in that review, though. The cover of Michael Jackson's "Beat It", although cool as it was, certainly would not be missed if left off.

I personally really like this album. I also call Bullshit on the review of giving it a 5 out of 10. This album is at least a good 8 or 8.5 out of 10 as far as I am concerned. Granted, I think that new Lost in Thought album and even the new Serenity album are better, but this is still an excellent buy if you like this kind of music. I still recommend at least checking it out, especially if you can find it for a good price.

In fact, if you have an eMusic account, you can actually get it $5.99. However, the eMusic version doesn't have the Michael Jackson cover, but no real loss there in my opinion, though.

Thanks Steven for the review! Looking forward to getting this.....
The singer for Enbound reminds me a little bit of the singer from a now defunct band called "Heed"... What an amazing voice he has.

I may have to skip Lost in Thought though. I've been hearing Dream Theater comparisions, and while that's quite a compliment, I'm totally burned out on DT style of
Prog, so I better skip it....

I really enjoyed that song. I am surprised. I thought I was just about done with this type of music.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BjFx569lUs&feature=related[/ame]

My verdict on this is, I like a couple of songs, but most of it's too light AOR for my taste.....Good musicians though.