Fallujah..anyone? Atmospheric Death Metal of the highest caliber

I like some of the songs on the album but the production is horrendous, detracting to the point that I don't listen to it.

I like some of the songs on the album but the production is horrendous, detracting to the point that I don't listen to it.

People keep mentioning the production but I don't really hear what others seem to be hearing with it, sounds like a lot of other modern albums. Then again I'm not really an expert on such things.

People keep mentioning the production but I don't really hear what others seem to be hearing with it, sounds like a lot of other modern albums. Then again I'm not really an expert on such things.

I envy you. It actually hurts my ears and starts to give me a headache.

Like a lot of modern albums? Compressed to the point of distorsion?

Being compressed is a pretty common criticism is it not for a lot of modern stuff? When I listen to the Flesh Prevails I can't say I get a headache or find it a struggle listen to. When I think bad production I think of Metallica's St Anger or Maiden's X Factor, the Flesh Prevails isn't either of those.

If you're interested, there was a very long, detailed conversation about the production here:

http://www.angrymetalguy.com/fallujah-flesh-prevails/

At one point, the guy who mixed it actually jumped into the thread to defend the record. I think what drove this conversation was the DR rating of 3. Most brickwalled records are DR5. This one seems to take it even further. Although this was supposedly a conscious decision by the band, it seems like a poor one. I've always been a stickler for production. And the production here is really bad.

I like Fallujah. It's a good band, is doing something "different" (at least for my perspective) and I like it. About the mixed of the record, I gonna say that is ok for me, because the vocals are kind of in the back, which is good for me since the growls are not my preferred.

It's a mastering issue not a production issue - as I read through that review and the comment section. The mix and production just on this song is just a computerized as any other current metal release and sounds solid overall. Zach Ohren has recorded a few of my releases and I personally have always had issues with his kick drum samples, but this sounds like they are better now. My ANIMOSITY release from 2004 gives me a headache because of the kick drums thunderous tone.

I like it and I've only heard it in my car and the sound doesn't seem to be bad to me.
I'll give it a headphone session over the weekend to see if I get a headache...

It's a mastering issue not a production issue - as I read through that review and the comment section. The mix and production just on this song is just a computerized as any other current metal release and sounds solid overall. Zach Ohren has recorded a few of my releases and I personally have always had issues with his kick drum samples, but this sounds like they are better now. My ANIMOSITY release from 2004 gives me a headache because of the kick drums thunderous tone.

It was both a mastering and production issue iirc. Zach provided a much more dynamic mix to AMG and a few others sites, and when they level matched and listened to the DR 11 (I think it was) vs the album DR 3, they were able to tell the difference but it was not as dramatic as expected. Even if the brickwalling was not the primary reason for the poor sound quality, the album sounds like garbage to me. But it seems the band achieved the sound they were looking for *shrug*

It was both a mastering and production issue iirc. Zach provided a much more dynamic mix to AMG and a few others sites, and when they level matched and listened to the DR 11 (I think it was) vs the album DR 3, they were able to tell the difference but it was not as dramatic as expected. Even if the brickwalling was not the primary reason for the poor sound quality, the album sounds like garbage to me. But it seems the band achieved the sound they were looking for *shrug*
This is the same impression I was left with after reading the thread. Granted, AMG's reviews are more production centric than most review web sites, but I'm definitely in the camp of people who felt that the production/mastering genuinely hurt this
record.

I think it's hilarious that in a digital production age people can bitch about how something that processed (IE, drum editing/sound replacement, guitar re-amplification, vocal editing/alignment/pitch shifting) sounds bad. just from that mp3 the production sounds decent enough to me and no different than a Sneap production, by that I mean all re-amped, sound replaced, auto-tuned, etc. So I guess I am missing the little details which is fine, but again that track sounds fine to me, I assume if I cared enough to listen to the WAV file I might have a different opinion.

I thought I was an audio snob. haha. Guess I am not that bad after all.

I like it a lot, a big surprise for me. It's not going to place high on my album of the year lists, but when I'm in the mood for it on a long drive or something it really hits the spot.

I'm thankful I'm not an audiophile, because it sounds like all that brings you is a lot of headaches when it comes to listening to music. :p

just from that mp3 the production sounds decent enough to me and no different than a Sneap production, by that I mean all re-amped, sound replaced, auto-tuned, etc.
We can agree to disagree on this point. I think the sound clarity, compared to Sneap production, couldn't be at opposite ends of the spectrum.

By the way, I think the music is actually quite superb.

Not sure how I missed these guys. I could have sworn I listened to them once and they reminded me of the "deathcore" style popularized by JFAC, Veil of Maya, Whitechapel, and their ilk. This isn't anything like that - it's actually quite spectacular!