Funeral Songs for a friend

zinescene

Feb 11, 2002
Michigan
www.myspace.com
My best friends son tragically passed away in an accident last weekend and the family asked me to put together some songs for his funeral. He was a big metal & classic Rock fan. I thought I'd share the list....The family was very grateful and I was pretty proud of this last disc I made up as a tribute to my friend. The 1st 4 songs were songs they played at the funeral at the families request. The remainder was dedicated to him.

Ironically, I don't fancy myself as a big Country fan but have to say the Brad Paisley duet with Dolly Parton was one of my favorite songs.

1. Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven
2. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
3. Kid Rock - Born Free
4. Brad Paisley with Dolly Party - When I get Where I'm Going
5. Queensryche - Silent Lucidity
6. Kansas - Dust in the Wind
7. Eric Clapton - Tears in Heaven
8. Great White - The Angel Song
9. Jars of Clay - All My Tears
10. Evanescence - My Immortal
11. Within Temptation - Memories
12. Alter Bridge - In Loving Memory
13. Megadeth - A Tout Le Monde (Set Me Free)
14. Creed - My Sacrifice
15. Ozzy Osbourne - See You On The Other Side

There were some others that didn't make the CD
Pink FLoyd - Wish You were Here
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Sevendust - Angels Son
Motley Crue - Home Sweet Home

Sorry to hear about your friends son passing, that was a nice thing to put together for him. Big Props for that!

In Loving Memory from Alter Bridge I played alot after my mother passed away. Mark Tremonti wrote that for his mother after she passed, such a great song!

Bear

I will third the Spirit Carries On. Listened to that a lot when my aunt died and it still chokes me up. Also have always wanted Led Zepplin's 'In My Time Of Dying" to be played at my own funeral.

I had the Dream Theater song on my original list and removed it. Just dont like that song. Really liked the Iced Earth song though and the Gamma Ray song. Shoulda posted for suggestions. Some good ones.

Sorry if I posted to many videos. Your post had me thinking when I read it. Some other idea's and non-metal songs that come to mind are:

Sara Evens....I Could Not Ask for More
Chantel Kreviazuk....In this Life
Theory of a Deadman.....Heaven (Little by Little)
Carole King.....So Far Away

Please excuse the Anime video as it is the only album version of Poe's Fly Away I could find. Beautiful song.

Last edited by a moderator: