Glenn Tipton diagnosed with Parkinson's

oldboy

Oct 8, 2007
GLENN TIPTON/JUDAS PRIEST DIAGNOSED WITH PARKINSONS:
Ten years ago Glenn was diagnosed to have the onset of the early stages of Parkinson’s - from then until recently Glenn has lived his life as the great heavy metal guitar player he has always been, maintaining by his own definition a standard of quality and performance that is incredibly important.

Right now Glenn is able to play and perform some of the Priest songs that are less challenging but due to the nature of Parkins...on's progression he wants to let you all know that he won't be be touring as such -

True to the metal spirit of 'the show must go on' Glenn has requested Andy Sneap to fly the flag on stage for him

“I want everyone to know that it’s vital that the Judas Priest tour go ahead and that I am not leaving the band - it’s simply that my role has changed.
I don’t rule out the chance to go on stage as and when I feel able to blast out some Priest! So at some point in the not too distant future I’m really looking forward to seeing all of our wonderful metal maniacs once again”

Rob, Richie, Ian and Scott have this to say:

“We have been privileged to witness Glenn’s determination and steadfast commitment over the years, showing his passion and self belief through the writing, recording and performing sessions with Priest - he is a true metal hero!
We are not surprised by Glenn’s insistence that we complete the Firepower tour and thank Andy for joining us to make Glenn’s wishes become real -
As Glenn has said we also can’t wait to have him with us at any time any place on the road.....
We love you Glenn!”

It's a shame, but understandable. It seems as if Priest is going the way of AC/DC with members having to leave the band for various reasons. I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being JP's last tour.

JUDAS PRIEST ANNOUNCES THE GLENN TIPTON PARKINSON'S FOUNDATION

"...I knew that something was wrong as my co-ordination and speed were affected and have both been slowly getting worse over the last ten years. Accordingly when I was diagnosed it wasn’t really a shock. Rob, Richie, Ian and Scott are playing better than ever and Andy (Sneap) is doing a really great job - they have all given me so much support - It was the band that suggested we start a foundation which although in my name is really a Judas Priest foundation - we are selling t-shirts with the slogan "NO SURRENDER" (a track off the latest album) which is very appropriate considering the determination you have to summon up to get on with life and beat this illness... it’s the sort of thing that always happens to ’someone else'...."All proceeds we receive from you will go to this cause and I urge not just Judas Priest fans but everyone out there to help. If you can't get to the shows you can also purchase t- shirts on line at judaspriest.backstreetmerch.com.
"We will keep you posted on what you have all raised through this tour so remember… Keep The Faith and... NO SURRENDER!!!"
- Glenn Tipton..."

JUDAS PRIEST BASSIST IAN HILL TALKS DECISION NOT TO REUNITE WITH FORMER GUITARIST K.K. DOWNING FOLLOWING GLENN TIPTON'S PARKINSON'S DIAGNOSIS (AUDIO)

Last edited: