Guitar Hero

oldboy

Oct 8, 2007
I am planning to get a gaming console and a "Guitar Hero" game for Crhistmas. Anyone has a reccomendation as to which of the versions of "Guitar Hero" is more appealing for a power/traditional metal fan?

Check out the song lists, which are easily available online with a simple google search. I recommend getting XBOX 360 though, as the PS3 GH Guitar will not work with PS3 Rockband, but the same games are compatibale on XBOX 360

Guitar Hero for XBOX360 is the way to go. If you really like it, then you'll most likely want Rock Band and like someone mentioned you can use the guitars for both games which is nice. Much better set list too, and you can battle people on XBOXLive, which is really fun.

Rock Band is not fun on guitar, period. Get rock band for drums and vocals, and the fun of playing it with 4 friends.

[This relates to the PS2 version]

In terms of power metal, you're not going to find it, save for Dragon Force in GH3 and Dio in 80's Edition. For Metal in general, I'd go with GH2, followed VERY closely by 80's Edition. You get Shout at the Devil, Cherry Pie*, Them Bones, War Pigs, Madhouse, Laid To Rest, Beast and the Harlot (if you're into that sort of thing...), Institutionalized (again, if you're into that sort of thing...), Hangar 18 (!!!!!!!!), The Light That Blinds, Six, Thunderhorse, that Push Push (Lady Lightning) song that's strangely addictive, and Trogdor (for sh*ts and giggles).

If you're interested in what the others have to offer:

Guitar Hero: Thunderkiss 65, Iron Man, You Got Another Thing Comin', Symphony Of Destruction, Ace of Spades, Cowboys From Hell, Bark At The Moon, and The Breaking Wheel

80's Edition: Metal Health, Balls To The Wall, 18 And Life, No One Like You, Holy Diver (!!!!!!!!!!), I Wanna Rock, Ain't Nothin' But a Good Time, Round And Round, Wrath Child, Electric Eye, Seventeen, and Caught In a Mosh

Guitar Hero 3: Paranoid, Rock You Like a Hurricane, Black Sunshine, Before I Forget (... if you're into that sort of thing), Raining Blood, The Number of the Beast, One, Closer (don't know if I should include this one), My Curse (if you're into that sort of thing), Take This Life, and The Way it Ends

*Yes, I'm including Hair Metal

I hope this gives you a decent map of the different versions. I'd personally go with GH2 or 80's Edition, then Guitar Hero, then Guitar Hero 3. And I'm giving you a suggested order because face it: You're going to want to buy them all :D

It looks like the '80s version is the place to start for me. I do not have a console and I am considering a playstation 2 because of budget issues (and GH is pretty much all I would use the system for). I'll probably then get GH2, but you are right I may end up getting them all.

III Is cool, there are quite a few cool songs on there....

Playing rAINING bLOOD BY sLAYER is quite an experience....

Number of The Beast by Maiden is really a fun one!

I just recently bought a PS2 almost exclusively to play Guitar Hero, mainly because it is the only platform that has all the Guitar Hero games. Personally, I listen to a lot of genres, so some of the non-metal focus doesn't really bother me. Maybe you will learn something new in the process.

Jason

I may seriously consider getting the PC version of Guitar Hero III for the simple fact that you know people will be hacking that one to put their own songs in! That would most likely mean seeing all kinds of tracks in the prog/power genre.

BTW, you could watch the complete South Park Guitar Hero episode at this sit!

Hell, I'd like to know which version they are playing that has Kansas "Wayward Son" in it!. Literally wore that tape out from listening to it so much back in the day!

I may seriously consider getting the PC version of Guitar Hero III for the simple fact that you know people will be hacking that one to put their own songs in! That would most likely mean seeing all kinds of tracks in the prog/power genre.

BTW, you could watch the complete South Park Guitar Hero episode at this sit!

Hell, I'd like to know which version they are playing that has Kansas "Wayward Son" in it!. Literally wore that tape out from listening to it so much back in the day!

That would be Guitar Hero II

It looks like the '80s version is the place to start for me. I do not have a console and I am considering a playstation 2 because of budget issues (and GH is pretty much all I would use the system for). I'll probably then get GH2, but you are right I may end up getting them all.

Right now you'd probably be best off going into a Target and getting the special edition of Guitar Hero 3 for PS2 that includes two guitar controllers with the purchase. The 80s one comes up as $100 for the bundle and I know that GH3 is selling for $110 with the 2nd guitar plus you get a free $10 Target gift card with that purchase. Seems the price went up though as I remember Target having it at $90 with the extra guitar when it was first released :(.
You can also now buy a Guitar Hero 1&2 pack for $60.

I really suck at these games. The funny thing is that if I play GH then the next time I play guitar for real, I REALLY suck. More than normal, as a matter of fact!

I really suck at these games. The funny thing is that if I play GH then the next time I play guitar for real, I REALLY suck. More than normal, as a matter of fact!

A likely excuse.

WE all know it's because you were spending tooo much time playing Heroin Hero and trying to catch that dragon! :lol:

(Sidebar: "Heroine Hero" would be a neet name for a band or something.)