Head-bangers, beware of injury, rocker scientists warn

mtndewqueen88

Mark the Music
Aug 24, 2004
Atlanta
http://www.sciam.com/blog/60-second...ead-bangers-beware-of-injury-rocke-2008-12-17

Anybody ever been in pain after a particular good concert? Gojira both times in Atlanta have left me smarting.

There was also a time when a crowd surfer in a tiny crowd at the Masquerade fell on my neck/shoulders and left me completely tensed up for over three weeks, but I guess that's not really what they're discussing in the article.

Makes me wonder how Tomi from Amorphis feels with those dreads to swing around!

Yep.... A few years ago I saw Exodus twice in a row.... After the second show my neck felt like an eighteen wheeler ran over it.... As Luck would have it, I narrowly avoided the 300lb stagediver at the first show....

It's called....a good massage therapist. :D

The other thing you guys can do, if you are sober enough, stretch your neck for a good 20-30 minutes. Particularly the muscles that attach up the back of your neck (they're the ones stopping your head from flying forward, similar to whiplash). Drink lots of water, and do some ice before you go to bed and after you wake up. Numb, then stretch till they warm up. :)

I could really use a stylish neck brace built into my leather jacket. Because that's all I'll wear to concerts these days. Don't want the kids making fun of me.

It's called....a good massage therapist. :D

The other thing you guys can do, if you are sober enough, stretch your neck for a good 20-30 minutes. Particularly the muscles that attach up the back of your neck (they're the ones stopping your head from flying forward, similar to whiplash). Drink lots of water, and do some ice before you go to bed and after you wake up. Numb, then stretch till they warm up. :)

Too funny... I'll be sure and "do some ice" before I go to bed next time.... :lol: