Headphones

korpse pop

Horde of Undead Vengeance
Jun 22, 2005
Suggest me some good headphones that work well when listening to music & gaming, watching movies and other entertainment use and also are decent enough to use as reference when mixing and tracking. Price range around 100 € / ~ $160 but 200€ at max. Now I have 20€ Phillips phones and Koss Sparkplug for mobile use, so upgrade is needed

well we use beyerdynamic DT-100's in college and at the radio station I used to work in. They seem good although I've never mixed on them. I've been told they are kinda industry standard and they fit into your price bracket

Audio Technica ATH M50's - sold my Sony MDR-7506's for 'em, and I can't praise them highly enough, especially compared to those treble ice pick Sony's!

I've been using AKG K240 Studios for years now for mixing and tracking but also back home just listening to music or while watching tv/movies. However, I've been trying out the Beyerdynamic DT250's in the studio for a while now and found that they translate better... They give a more true presentation of the mix BUT are not that nice to listen to for long periods. They go on your ears, not around them (the same as the Sony 7506s). The AKGs are somewhat more hyped, but being that the muffs :)blush:) go around the ears, I can keep them on for hours. If you have glasses on, you'll appreciate that.

Beyerdynamic DT770 are also nice while listening to music, but the lows are massive on those, don't like to work on them. What else.. If you don't want to disturb or be disturbed by others, use closed phones, but note that they don't sound the same as an equivalent open-backed version and are usually more expensive.

So from my experience, for what you're thinking, I say try out the K240 Studios. Try them in the shop if you can, bring some music you know and listen 'em through.

The Sennheiser HD265s are pretty nice. Mostly accurate response throughout the frequence range, low bleed and very comfortable.

I've been using AKG K240 Studios for years now for mixing and tracking but also back home just listening to music or while watching tv/movies. However, I've been trying out the Beyerdynamic DT250's in the studio for a while now and found that they translate better... They give a more true presentation of the mix BUT are not that nice to listen to for long periods. They go on your ears, not around them (the same as the Sony 7506s). The AKGs are somewhat more hyped, but being that the muffs :)blush:) go around the ears, I can keep them on for hours. If you have glasses on, you'll appreciate that.

Beyerdynamic DT770 are also nice while listening to music, but the lows are massive on those, don't like to work on them. What else.. If you don't want to disturb or be disturbed by others, use closed phones, but note that they don't sound the same as an equivalent open-backed version and are usually more expensive.

So from my experience, for what you're thinking, I say try out the K240 Studios. Try them in the shop if you can, bring some music you know and listen 'em through.

Yeah, I was looking at AKG's when I was headphone shopping a little while back, but besides the price, the problem with the 240's was that they're semi-open, which probably sounds more accurate but was a no-no for me since these cans have to be all purpose (isolation as well as monitoring and casual listening). Of course there's the fully-enclosed K171's for the same price, but I felt like saving the $50 and going for the Audio Technicas, which I've read nothing but awesome things about :)

Yeah, I was looking at AKG's when I was headphone shopping a little while back, but besides the price, the problem with the 240's was that they're semi-open, which probably sounds more accurate but was a no-no for me since these cans have to be all purpose (isolation as well as monitoring and casual listening). Of course there's the fully-enclosed K171's for the same price, but I felt like saving the $50 and going for the Audio Technicas, which I've read nothing but awesome things about :)

Did you compare the sound of AKG and Audio Technicas before buying? Note that I dont need isolation since I'm only going to use them in home and maybe for some random control room listening.
I see AKG K240 is discontinued and there's this MK II model on the market http://www.thomann.de/fi/akg_k240_mkii.htm Has anyone tied these and how do they compare to the originals?

Does anyone know if I can reduce the computer noise when pluggin straight into the front panel? Can good phones reduce the noise?

Did you compare the sound of AKG and Audio Technicas before buying? Note that I dont need isolation since I'm only going to use them in home and maybe for some random control room listening.
I see AKG K240 is discontinued and there's this MK II model on the market http://www.thomann.de/fi/akg_k240_mkii.htm Has anyone tied these and how do they compare to the originals?

Does anyone know if I can reduce the computer noise when pluggin straight into the front panel? Can good phones reduce the noise?

The MkII models apparently are nothing more than a face lift, if I remember right what the sales rep told me some time ago. New colors, spare cord, .. something like that. And a price boost :erk:

As for the noise, only closed headphones can reduce noises coming from the outside (can't help with the inner voices! :loco: ). Other than that, reducing computer noises involve silent components, computer "closets" or such.

The MkII models apparently are nothing more than a face lift, if I remember right what the sales rep told me some time ago. New colors, spare cord, .. something like that. And a price boost :erk:

As for the noise, only closed headphones can reduce noises coming from the outside (can't help with the inner voices! :loco: ). Other than that, reducing computer noises involve silent components, computer "closets" or such.

I mean the electric noises which integrated soundcards have, just thought phones impedance and sensitivity might have something to do with them

I mean the electric noises which integrated soundcards have, just thought phones impedance and sensitivity might have something to do with them

Oh! Sorry! Nah.. I've found the opposite, that really good headphones just seem to bring out the details, noises and all! Solution: get rid of the crappy soundcards :)

Holy shit, DT770s are so cheap over there! In America, the Audio Technicas are $150, the AKG's $200, and the DT770s like $230. Damn import tarriffs...but if you don't need isolation, I'd probably go for the 240's.

Holy shit, DT770s are so cheap over there! In America, the Audio Technicas are $150, the AKG's $200, and the DT770s like $230. Damn import tarriffs...but if you don't need isolation, I'd probably go for the 240's.

I found out I can get Audio Technicas for a pretty nice price if I order from US, would you recommend them for entertainment use, or only for studio work?
BTW 230 usd = 148 € so 240's are cheaper in US :D

Hahaha, wow - I guess then I'd say that rather than the DT770s being cheap over there, the 240's and ATHM50s are ridiculously expensive, crikey!

As for the AT's as casual listening, they definitely sound good and aren't at all fatiguing, although they are quite middy, probably in keeping with their purpose as monitors, so I definitely think you'd find headphones that'd sound "better" for listening because of less mids, though they wouldn't be as good for monitoring.

It depends on what kind of sound you are looking for and the type of games you play. "Good sounding" is a very subjective term.

If you play FPS games then you will want something with a lot of precision and sound-stage to provide you with good directional awareness. Open headsets are the best for this.

Why not look at this reddit guide, it is IMO the best guide for headsets: https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/3tu9gl/guide_hea...

It depends on what kind of sound you are looking for and the type of games you play. "Good sounding" is a very subjective term.

If you play FPS games then you will want something with a lot of precision and sound-stage to provide you with good directional awareness. Open headsets are the best for this.

Why not look at this reddit guide, it is IMO the best guide for headsets: https://www.reddit.com/r/Zeos/comments/3tu9gl/guide_hea...
What's with you new guys and replying to 10-year old posts? :erk: