Healthy Session Strategies for the Young AE

joeymusicguy

Sep 21, 2006
indiana
www.myspace.com
Ok, so there's a lot of you out there who are recording the local bands of your area, and you're probably experimenting with different ways to maximize your time, money, and effort with your sessions. There are several logical ways to go about putting together an EP/LP. Multi-track recording in the digital age has enabled us to structure the recording process into parts, usually one musician at a time. The first and probably most common way to go about a session for young engineers is the most logical one. Let's examine the structure of how to carry out the tasks necessary to work through recording the talent's material:

1. Step by Step

This one is obvious. You'll record things in order of importance or in order of completeness. Logically, drums come first. They're the beat, tempo, and back bone of our "session" or song. Next could come bass or guitar. A lot of bands who have their own feel and vibe will probably prefer bass next, but I digress for a moment to talk about why bass next, is a bad idea. No bass is perfectly intonated, but bass is usually played as a monophonic instrument. This supports the idea that if guitars are playing polyphonic material, their intonation is more sensitive than that of a bass. Why? Lets say for example we've recorded our song on drums, and finished the guitars next. Now we'll record the bass. The first thing we might encounter somewhere in the song is a chord that has its root played in several octaves. If this note is somewhat sharp in the guitar tracks, and the bass plays the same note in this situation, we could have a problem. But it's not that big of a deal to slightly sharpen or flatten the tuning of the bass for a moment and punch that note in. If the bass was already recorded before we went to track the guitar, and we arrived at the same spot with this troublesome root... we might have to change the tuning of multiple strings on the guitar, only to realize the other notes in the chord no longer harmonize pleasantly...

I know what you're saying, "but we can tune the bass". Well just like life, software isn't perfect. You're always going to encounter some type of situation where it won't be possible to make the fix. And if you're recording real live tones, you might not even get the same sound when you come back to the song to punch in a bass line.

The step by step method poses other problems... Lets imagine that we have all the songs scratched, clicked, and ready for the drummer. And lets assume the drummer is top notch and nails all of his parts in one day. If the drummer played an ep or lp worth of material, you can almost bet that it will not be possible to edit / quantize all of those songs he tracked in the same amount of time it took him to track it. This leaves the band waiting, bored, and restless. This might be desired though, so you should keep this on your mind. The band might like a rest, considering the recording process is really stressful for everyone involved.

But where this problem starts to evolve is next.... Guitars... Now you begin to record all of the guitars to each of the edited songs, and you run into a few problems. The strings get old fast take after take, and replacing strings causes several intonation shifts through out the recording process. Also, the guitar players get very little rest and have to track their parts all day for multiple days. This gives the musicians no down time. Some may handle this situation well, others may not.

But lets take this further and get to the point... We've tracked all our songs, one person at a time, and now we have an ep / lp worth of songs completed musically, next is vocals... And now you're going to require the talent to record all of those songs, day after day, hour after hour and you're going to hit a brick wall... why? because humans are human.

Our vocal chords are not built to handle multiple hours of stretching and use. Most vocalists find a very comfortable spot in their live / touring situations by performing half an hour to an hour each night, or ever other night. This poses a problem for you, the AE. Because you've tracked everything, and the only thing left to do is vocals, you're going to automatically strain the vocalist and his vocal chords just by design of how you've structured your recording sessions.

This brings us to a new idea of how to structure the recording session:

2. Linear

Linear! That's right. Let me explain. By linear, we mean, one person at a time but one song at a time. In example, we recorded all of our scratch and clicks, and then we record the drums for one song. Next, we edit the drums, and the band just hangs out for a while (or even for a day, however long it takes, you might even be able to track and edit the song on drums in one day). Next, guitars. Guitars are done and guitarists get a break to think about whatever and talk to friends and family. A little vacation from the stress. Next bass, and we get all of our intonation spot on because we came after guitars. Then, we do a little cleaning and editing and get the music all tight, and finally record and edit the vocals. Now we have one song finished, and the whole team is feeling more accomplished. The time this should take should equal the same amount of time it takes to do it the other day, it's just more spread out. And if you're any sort of ADHD, you'll find this very fun because each day you're not doing the same annoying task of editing 10 songs of drums for hours and hours, or tracking guitars for a week. You're doing different duties each day, and it helps spread out the tasks for the talent. It will also give you an edge on the rest of the record because if you had any downfalls in the first song, you'll be able to improve upon those in the next song, and maybe even have time at the end to go back to the problem areas to correct them in other songs after learning from your "session by session" mistakes.

You can even take this concept further and proceed to mix and maybe even master each time you complete the song you're working on. The choice is yours to experiment with!

I conclude, take a good hard look at how you structure your sessions, and you'll live a happier life, young AE =]

The End

I think this is a good idea, its made me think. However i think the drums we be easier done at the start. Just due to having to pack up and set up drums/mics repeated times. but the rest is a really good idea.

Cheers

Well at least with Joey's workflow, drums can be left set up in the live room the whole time with all the mics ready to go since all the guitar/bass/vocal tracking is done in the control room.

I would be a little worried about continuity of sounds between each song, but really I don't think it's too much of an issue if you can leave the kit and drum mics set up. Vocals are easy to do in multiple sessions and still keep the same sound and guitars and bass are just DIs which are always going to be consistent as well using the same player/guitar/new strings...

Might try this on a session some time soon just to break the monotony like Joey was talking about. 12 songs worth of drums makes me want to kill myself by day 3.

It's cool to mix things up, definitely!

But it's not always working out with individual scheduling. Like when everybody in the band has a day job and the drummer's only got two days he can take off or a weekend whatsoever.

All positive responses guys, and the whole thing is made to make you think.

For some of you drum programming AE's, it will be much less painful to program each song, one at a time and going through the entire cycle of that song until it's finished. Programming a whole record in one go, is very painful.

But the idea to track the drums all at once, and then carry on with the linear method is also a strong way to do things. You could even throw the drum editing into the cycle. but considering drum edits usually take a few hours, you'd have to do something else on that day, too.

It's cool to mix things up, definitely!

But it's not always working out with individual scheduling. Like when everybody in the band has a day job and the drummer's only got two days he can take off or a weekend whatsoever.

Good point, and with most young AE, you can't expect everyone around you to take the recording process as serious as necessary, because as you mentioned, its just not always an option.

The recording of the drums can happen all at once, and then the linear method can be carried on. What's really important to focus on in this is the editing. You must include the editing for each thing, every step of the way. This is so you don't end up with tons of monotonous editing at the end. Take it from me, it will cause you to make poor decisions. Not being excited about fixing someone's pitch can cause you to make lazy corrections that could hinder the performance or melody.

Excellent post - This is actually pretty much my exact approach, as long as the band's schedule permits it. It might take a bit more organization and slightly more time, but it's much easier on everyone's mental health.

Dude thats a really good idea if the capability is there. I used to be a Nazi about consistency, and this method probably would have worried me a bit, but lately I've been into just treating songs individually, so they all have their own vibe. If the option were there to leave the drums set up while doing the other parts this would be a much more fun way to work, for everyone involved.

I suppose if drum setup was an issue, I guess the drummer could be forced to do all his shit, then you could edit one song, track guitars, bass and vocals, edit the next song, track guitars, bass and vocals, so on and so forth. Hrm...

I do sort of a hybrid of this. I have a lack of space, that sucks. :lol:

So drums have to be done in one shot for however many songs are being done.

But after that I break it up but doing guitars, then bass, then vocals on each and your right Sturgis it does seem to feel more productive somehow.

im not sure on using this method for tracking an entire ep.
but i would like to try tracking all drums to an ep/album in one go, then going for the linear method.
once you got something to go from (drums) it could improve studio moral quite considerably. not just sitting there day in day out tracking the same instrument.
i may even try this method with mixing also.
going through a whole record mixing one instrument at a time, rather than each track at a time.
anyway all interesting ideas.

cheers
jam

i think it's safe to say it depends entirely on the band/project. Joey, you obviously do lots of long full lengths, we're as someone on my level is more often (in my experience, anyway) doing a bands first 3-5 song demo/EP.

great information thanks so much!:)

just a question that I had earlier today...

assuming your going to track a band note by note/riff by riff, guitar wise...could you record guitars first (then edit and quantize) and record drums or bass to the edited guitars, then vocals last?

I usually do the the way you mentioned, but wondered if this way may cause problems or anything if someone has already tried it.

Thanks!

Good post, good to hear an alternative view of running a session. There's certainly advantages and disadvantages to each way of running.

While it is cool to get the session broken up I'd hate to be sending the drummer out when he's on a roll. Obviously that's just something you have judge at the time.

It's certainly a good idea to do vocals throughout the session instead of all at the end. Vocalists get fatigued very quickly especially in this genre of music.

Personally I save editing for after the recording session is over. If the drumming isn't tight enough to track the guitars and bass to then i pull the drums back in the mix and bring up the click, getting the guitar/bass-ist to focus on the click for timing. I've been lucky though that I've not yet worked with a drummer who is completely awful.

All in though I can certainly see myself using this method of working more in the future. Only problem is that when tracking guitars you can't use an amp, unless you want the drums resonating along with them (assuming everything is in the one room) so you have to track DI's and re-amp later. Though for an E.P. this would probably make more sense to be honest.

great information thanks so much!:)

just a question that I had earlier today...

assuming your going to track a band note by note/riff by riff, guitar wise...could you record guitars first (then edit and quantize) and record drums or bass to the edited guitars, then vocals last?

I usually do the the way you mentioned, but wondered if this way may cause problems or anything if someone has already tried it.

Thanks!

This is actually a good way to do things if the drummer can't play to a click.