Heavy Metal in Baghdad

If they're any good at all, The End needs to sign them immediately. :)

I like how the article refers to the "venerable" Testament. Almost makes you think the writer might have a clue about metal.
Maybe.

Snagfilms.com is currently showing the entire Heavy Metal In Baghdad film (US residents only).

"The film documents Iraqi band ACRASSICAUDA's struggle to finger-tap their way to freedom. Playing heavy metal in a Muslim country has always been a difficult (if not impossible) proposition but after Saddam’s regime was toppled, there was a brief moment for Acrassicauda in which real freedom seemed possible. That hope was quickly dashed as their country fell into a bloody insurgency. From 2003-2006, Iraq disintegrated around them while Acrassicauda struggled to stay together and stay alive, always refusing to let their heavy metal dreams die. Their story echoes the unspoken hopes of an entire generation of young Iraqis. "

There's some interesting stories out there about Iranian metal bands trying to play in the underground. As soon as those 'clubs' are found the culture police come around and shut it down.

I'll check this out at some point.

This movie and Persepolis really opened my eyes to the fact that neither Iraq nor Iran are monolithic cultures, and there are other points of view in both countries besides the extreme religious/political views we already know about.