Here Come The Mummies tonight in Orlando

What the funk? Funk (and its close relatives) is pretty much my favorite form of live music these days; I feel like I've seen more funk bands in the last couple years than metal bands: Bootsy Collins, Trombone Shorty, Big Sam's Funky Nation, Papa Grows Funk, Bonerama, Red Baraat (Indian funk!), Robert Randolph & the Family Band, Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires, Budos Band, Debo Band, Femi Kuti, Soul Rebels Brass Band, Rebirth Brass Band, Lowdown Brass Band, and just last night, Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds. Whew, ok, now, to the point:

Through all of that, I've never detected the existence of any sort of "funk scene". So how is it that there are 3 people at the PPUSA forum who know (and love!) Here Come the Mummies? How did you guys hear about them? Is there some FunkTV channel or something like that? They played in Chicago (well, Joliet) a few weeks ago, and despite my funk fandom, the first time I heard of them was when I saw the listing at the venue's website. Something about their promotion/bio/gimmick gave me the impression that they were a band pretending to be a lot more famous than they actually are, and the venue was far away, so I didn't end up going. I guess I should regret that now, huh?

Neil

I guess I should regret that now, huh?

Neil

Yes. You should have your ass kicked.

The Mummies have been around for over a decade and toured all over the place, with a primary emphasis on the South. They are absolutely amazing musicians and their shows are a total party. Larry D turned me on to them via their dvd.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/726490-happy-halloween-here-come-mummies.html

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/progpower-usa/742127-merry-christmas.html

Yes. You should have your ass kicked.

Ha...I guess I need to start reading the holiday-themed threads around here!

The Mummies have been around for over a decade and toured all over the place, with a primary emphasis on the South.

Yeah, it's interesting to check their past dates...it looks like they have a very regional + secondary-market strategy. They've only been in Chicago a couple times, but have been to Madison, WI more often, and probably have been to Fort Wayne, Indiana 20 times!

They are absolutely amazing musicians and their shows are a total party.

Yeah, I was pretty convinced by their videos when I first checked them out, and that pretty much describes all funk bands, which is why I love seeing them so much.

Big Sam's Funky Nation is probably one of the closer bands to the Mummies (though "Big Ol' Booty" and "Funky Donkey" might be a slightly different form of adolescent sex-humor):

Note the guitarist is wearing an Iron Maiden shirt...connections to metal come up surprisingly often with these bands. You've also got:

Trombone Shorty's 'Suburbia', one of the two metal songs on his first album
Bonerama playing 'War Pigs'
Budos Band's 'Black Venom', named for the trumpet player's two favorite bands, Black Sabbath and Venom

I think the time has come for a FunkPower fest!

Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
I envy the absolute hell out of you.

And I you good sir.. lol.

The show was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Do not miss this band if they come within 100 miles of you.

My friend and I were at the merch table talking to Beebs (Beebs & Her Moneymakers) from the opening act and we heard drums and stuff outside in the parking lot. We thought it was a street musician(s) or so.. but no, it was the Mummies coming in for their gig... through the front door, through the crowd and to the stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
What the funk? Funk (and its close relatives) is pretty much my favorite form of live music these days; I feel like I've seen more funk bands in the last couple years than metal bands: Bootsy Collins, Trombone Shorty, Big Sam's Funky Nation, Papa Grows Funk, Bonerama, Red Baraat (Indian funk!), Robert Randolph & the Family Band, Charles Bradley & His Extraordinaires, Budos Band, Debo Band, Femi Kuti, Soul Rebels Brass Band, Rebirth Brass Band, Lowdown Brass Band, and just last night, Sister Sparrow and the Dirty Birds. Whew, ok, now, to the point:

Through all of that, I've never detected the existence of any sort of "funk scene". So how is it that there are 3 people at the PPUSA forum who know (and love!) Here Come the Mummies? How did you guys hear about them? Is there some FunkTV channel or something like that? They played in Chicago (well, Joliet) a few weeks ago, and despite my funk fandom, the first time I heard of them was when I saw the listing at the venue's website. Something about their promotion/bio/gimmick gave me the impression that they were a band pretending to be a lot more famous than they actually are, and the venue was far away, so I didn't end up going. I guess I should regret that now, huh?

Neil

I stumbled across Glenn's video post of Funky Little Baby and it was all that was needed.