High Spirits - Commercial NWOBHM

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
Not even sure where this band are from exactly but they sound very cool. They have a very NWOBHM feel to me but at the very commercial catchy end. I like the dude's voice a lot. Both songs are very cool with differing tempos.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBqTQcEZWyc&feature=related[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iHRAnIA2Yw&feature=related[/ame]

This band has been talked about here a few times....they are from Chicago. Amazing stuff. They are one of the best live bands out there too. Pure engergy. The singer / main songwriter is Chris Black who is also in Pharoh / Dawnbringer / Superchrist. The Drummer who is actually super talented is in many bands such as Zuul and Wolfbait. I highly recommend this disc to anyone who likes good music. One of the freshest things out there with much replayablility. This is not an over produced disc like more people on this forum are used to....this is part of the charm.

I mixed this album. Chris Black played everything on this disc. He was intentionally going for a raw 80s underground sound, which I think he got. There was no abuse of auto tune or pro-tools editing, which was a nice change! :D

I also have no issues with the drum sound. This is great stuff. Would like to see these guys live, given Bob's statement above.

They remind me quite a bit of the NC band Widow now that Widow has a male singer. And the album covers are a bit similar too:

24990.jpg

The only reason this didn't make my end of 2011 list is because I received 'Another Night' the very last week of the year and didn't have time to listen to it.

If today I were to go back and make my best of 2011 list, it'd look something like:
1. High Spirits - Another Night

2-10. Everything else

It's just a masterpiece. Modern day classic. I've never listened to a record like this one where, on my second listen through, I was able to hum along with each and every hook. It's that damn infectious. Here are a few quotes from some other PP board members about this great record.

"This is awesome." - Harvester

"Hahahaha everyone is going to like this now." - J Golden

"Shut up" - Everyone else

"Good but needs more doom" - Jasonic

They remind me quite a bit of the NC band Widow now that Widow has a male singer. And the album covers are a bit similar too:

24990.jpg

Speaking of Widow, have you guys checked out the incredible new release, Life's Blood yet???????

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50Za_Yp2rOQ&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of Widow, have you guys checked out the incredible new release, Life's Blood yet???????

also, WIDOW only used a female singer on one album. their debut, Midnight Strikes, which i released on Tribunal in 2003, but have since reissued on Divebomb is a nice throwback album as well with no female vocalist.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Good but needs more doom" - Jasonic

LOL!!!
I never said that you goof!!!!

I like High Spirits lots. This is another great disc.
Nothing wrong with straight old fashioned rock and roll, which this is.

This is the closest thing to MCA years Diamond Head out there, and that's fine with me.

I have only seen them once and they were great live.

Bob strokes them enough so I will end this here.

This is the closest thing to MCA years Diamond Head out there, and that's fine with me.

Speaking of DH MCA years. Not sure if any of you guys read Decibel's blog but they have a great feature called "Justify Your Shitty Taste" and they did DH's Canterbury, which i personally LOVE despite being super commercial sounding.

check it out here (and then click on the tag to see what other albums they have done. good stuff!)