Hypocrisy @ Up From The Ground

paINflames

Sep 9, 2003
Bonn, Germany
Visit site
Just came back from Up From The Ground Festival, which was headlined by Hypocrisy!
I must say, I'm disappointed about a Hypo gig for the first time! :OMG:
They should have played 90 minutes, but instead of 25 minutes, they took 55 minutes for their soundcheck, mainly because the crew was too clumsy to bring up their backdrop (!) and a problem with the drums. I don't know what was wrong with the drum kit, but nothing seemed to happen! Just the drum roadie or whoever it was running to the kit, looking at something, running backstage and back again. Then other people joined him, but still nothing seemed to happen.
In the end I was so pissed off about those guys being unable to fix that (there weren't any problems with the kit before as far as I know and all bands played the same kit!).
Alright, finally they hit off with Fractured Millenium, but the sound was a real mess! Just "bass-mud", no highs at all so you could barely hear the melodies and it didn't become any better throughout the gig!
So I was like standing there, listening to a song and thinking "Is this an old song, that I don't know that well? No, I somehow know that rythm... oh, it's Turn The Page, you just don't hear the "high" guitar melodies!".
Later, their guitars got out of tune more and more and some parts sounded really weird, especially the parts with plackback synthies which of course weren't out of tune.
The setlist was basically like at the other festivals this summer. They played the one hour that was left of their 90 minutes with Final Chapter as last song, but then returned for Born Dead and Eraser as encore. I had hoped to see a new song since they also sold Virus shirts, but no...
It wasn't a bad show from Hypo at all and seeing them at night was really a great experience, but it could have been so much better!
Peter didn't say much, last week, when I saw him with Pain at Summer Breeze, he seemed to enjoy the show much more, was more agile and euphoric. Also the audience went crazier at Summer Breeze, but I guess this has to do with the bad sound at Up From The Ground.
All in all, it was really ok and nice to have seen Hypo again, but now I'm looking forward to X-Mas festivals with a new setlist and songs from Virus!

Urgh... That doesn't sound well :erk:

It's not the first time Hypocrisy is doing the thing with not playing all the time they have. I don't remember exactly where, but I think it was Wacken 2002 :Smug:

I cannot wait for the Christmas tour either... That has to be fantastic, and yes - With Virus songs... Beside that, I hope for a new set without all the usual songs.

@paINflames: I agree with you... I was at UFTG as well and I must say I have been disapointed by the show as well... of course because it was shorter than promised but especially because of the sound...
It really bored me to wait such a long long time before they started the gig but I've heard after the show that there were some parts of the drum missing... that might explain why the crew was running everywhere...

Except from that I've had a really great time at Up From The Ground, it was a really good festival, with a good atmospher and a nice audience! I'll be there again next year! That's for sure!!!

hm yes, was not their best show, mainly cause the sound sucked and the gig started with such a delay...
took some pics too, hope I can get them online soon, meanwhile u can check out the pics I took from Peter at SummerBreeze
peter09.jpg

and more at www.photopit.com

I also was there and i was very disappointed about the sound :erk:
The setlist was so fucking killer... Inferior Devoties, Fractured Millenium, Adjusting The Sun, Fire In The Sky, Deathrow (No Regrets), Buried, ...
The urge to kill the one who was responsible for the sound grew up from song to song :erk: :erk:

Hi,

the problem was not the backdrop (yes, we missed a professional device for the backdrop and the one from Hypocrisy is very big, but we brought it up in time --> if everything else would have been ready, we surly would have started without the backdrop).
1.) Hypocrisy's own transmitters (for playing without cables) did not work, so they had to rent some, but one was missing
2.) Some extras (things Unleashed didn't need) had to be constructed to the drums
3.) The two crew guys from hypocrisy did everything alone and they haven't been very communicative. So also we saw them walk on stage, try something, walk off stage, ....
--> We were not happy, Peter wasn't happy, The crowd was not happy.
BUT, we allowed to play till 1.15 (the city allowed to play till 1.00), so only one song had to be cut down (Hypocrisy planed to play 80 minutes and they played 76 minutes).
I can't say anything about the sound in front of the stage, but the Backstage sound was great ( i loved to hear Adjusting the sun). So our monitor man must have made a good job.