indie punk/indie rock

rms

Dec 14, 2006
Buffalo, New York
Kinda feel like listening to shit like the smiths, but pretty clueless as to any bands around that genre. thinking of getting joy division/interpol/sonic youth...what else? is this mort's area? i forget <3

Hmm, well definitely get Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation. Dinosaur Jr.'s Bug is essential as well. While not the same as those bands also get Siouxsie and the Banshee's Juju as well.

this is mort's and omni's field if she gets back I can get some good stuff by people I know have a taste in muzak

I'm also quite interested in these recommendations.

I blame /mu/ and Neutral Milk Hotel for making me want to stay away from this genre.

appreciate the recommendations so far. Really like Cocteau Twins, Dinosaur JR, Siouxsie, my bloody and the jesus...will check out ur other bands listed Ron

anyone got anything else for this? Looks like that dude Ronnie was banned and he knew what he was talking about...siouxsie is definitely the best ive heard out of the bunch

Whoever bumped this, thank you. This is exactly the kind of stuff I want to get more into. More post-punk/dream pop though, like The Cure and This Mortal Coil.

If you're into lo-fi black metal then I think a good place to start is shit like the early Sacred Bones Records releases. They used to put out a bunch of really good left-field post-punk stuff and experimental stuff. The new stuff is really fucking killer but certainly much more refined and different. Night People also has a slew of cool bands that you'd like a lot if that fractured sound is what's up with you. You mentioned Interpol so I'd throw out Blank Dogs and Crystal Stilts. For Joy Division, I'd recommend you go to the classic post-punk bands of that era. The Fall, This Heat, Gang of Four, The Cultural Decay, 13th Charm - all those guys would be up your ally. Also, read "Rip It Up and Start Again: Post Punk 1978-1984" by Simon Reynolds for a kaleidoscopic view of the entire movement during its pinnacle. For Sonic Youth, go right to all the No Wave bands. DNA, Teenage Jesus & the Jerks, Swans, The Contortions are where it's at in regards to bands that are similar to Sonic Youth.