iOS 5

Morgan: The iPhone has a Maps application installed from the start which does navigation for you.

Those saying these features should have come along a while ago, should have learned by now it may take longer but Apple does it with the most finesse when it's finally there. iOS works way smoother than Android, every feature iOS adds that Android has already had, iOS' version feels better/smoother and generally more elegant. Just sayin'... Every time I use my friend's Android phone, which he has to get the latest newest shit all the time, I'm always unimpressed with how it feels to use the OS, seems like it just doesn't respond nearly as smoothly as iOS does. _(o_O)_/ The feel and the screens. Not impressed.

I have an iTouch, and while it's got a Maps app, it only works when you're connected to WiFi.

And agreed about Android vs iOS. My mum just got an Android tablet (not sure how good it is, might affect this), and it just seems slow and clunky, and the touch screen is not very responsive.

today if you have access to a developer's account :)

photoql.png

How do I get an apple developer account and get onto 5?!

Edit: Just realised I am a developer... but I'm not paying the $99 a year fee :(

LAWL! That's the thing... Ancient?! WTF? Since when is it ancient?

3G released in July 2008, it's only 3 years old, off couse I'm still with the 3G, why would I buy the piece of shit 3GS that is exactly the same just a bit faster, the 4 doesn't seem all that special to upgrade, although I'm tempted, but I'd like to buy something that I can fucking tell "damn, that's an upgrade" and not like "yeah, looks almost the same, it's faster. cool."
Seriously, compare them directly (3G vs 3GS or even better 4) and you'll want to kill yourself. Everything is sluggish and slow, the display is WAY inferior, etc. Several friends of mine have either the first iPhone, the 3G or 3GS and they are pretty content overall, but if one of them uses the iPhone4 for a few seconds and switches back to his 3G/1/3Gs, it is unbearably slow and shitty overall. In fact I cannot believe the first iPhone was such a success because it's the slowest thing I've ever seen. Even simple apps like Doodle Jump take 15 seconds to load, while they appear instantly on the iPhone4 ;)

Seriously, compare them directly (3G vs 3GS or even better 4) and you'll want to kill yourself. Everything is sluggish and slow, the display is WAY inferior, etc. Several friends of mine have either the first iPhone, the 3G or 3GS and they are pretty content overall, but if one of them uses the iPhone4 for a few seconds and switches back to his 3G/1/3Gs, it is unbearably slow and shitty overall. In fact I cannot believe the first iPhone was such a success because it's the slowest thing I've ever seen. Even simple apps like Doodle Jump take 15 seconds to load, while they appear instantly on the iPhone4 ;)

I understand completely, but it just seems that Apple puts these iphones out that just have speed improvements and whoever bought the one before gets fucked big time. That's just the thing, I builtt my home tower PC in late 2008 and it still runs today's games smoothly. A phone from the same time is regarded as junk now. Do you understand where I'm getting at?

I do want the iphone 4 though :l but then again 5 is probably coming out soon enough

I have an iTouch, and while it's got a Maps app, it only works when you're connected to WiFi.

Right, but with the iPhone you have 3G/4G service available when WiFi isn't ;) I use the stock Maps application for all of my GPS needs.

Pedro Teixeira said:
the 4 doesn't seem all that special to upgrade, although I'm tempted, but I'd like to buy something that I can fucking tell "damn, that's an upgrade" and not like "yeah, looks almost the same, it's faster. cool."

I had a 3GS before and yeah... big difference. The feel, the weight, the design, the screen, the speed... list goes on.

The thing is, mobile technology is advancing WAY faster than PC technology, so it's not a fair comparison - 3 years old IS ancient in smartphone terms, Android didn't even exist back then! However, my Mom has the 3GS running the newest version of iOS 4, and I've found it to be every bit as responsive as my 4 when it comes to web browsing, pinching-to-zoom, and overall operation (the difference would probably be more noticeable with heavy apps) - however, the real difference is the screen, I mean the 4 has literally double the resolution and WAY greater contrast ratio and brightness/vividness, side to side the difference is ridiculously obvious (and also, the camera is vastly superior on the 4).

That said, if I had a 3GS at this point I'd wait for what's next - however, if I had the 3G, I would ditch it SO fast - at Radio Shack, we offer people $120 off the price of the 4 if they trade in their 16 GB 3G (or $80 for the 8 GB), needless to say I've converted many a frustrated 3G owner that way :D

Right, but with the iPhone you have 3G/4G service available when WiFi isn't ;)

No iPhone has a 4G radio ;) Also, how do you use maps as a GPS without voice-guided turn-by-turn nav? To me that doesn't really qualify as a GPS in the way google maps on Android does (but then again, there's the awesomeness that is Navigon, so it doesn't really matter)

Right, but with the iPhone you have 3G/4G service available when WiFi isn't ;) I use the stock Maps application for all of my GPS needs.

Right.. but that's what I was getting at in my post? Maybe you misread, I'm confused. I was planning to get an iPhone sometime this year, but might hold off now until next year since they do 'big' updates every couple of years it seems, the iPhone 4 being the last one, and I can't see anything major happening to the iPhone 5 (which hasn't even been announced).

You have an iTouch or an iPod Touch? :Smokedev:

I have an iTouchMyself.

But seriously, it looks like a kinda meh update. Some cool stuff in there, but not much that you couldn't already get alternatively. I was going to get an iPhone5 this year, since my iPod touch has been great, but I want a GPS built-in because my geographical knowledge is nil. Might consider waiting though, since they seem to do 'major' updates every 2 years, and this isn't one of them.

navigon has the maps built in and you don't have to have internet access to use them

navigon has the maps built in and you don't have to have internet access to use them

Oh thanks I'll check it out, at least to tide me over. I always prefer Google Earth over a map (makes it way easier to visualise), and I'd like a proper GPS to direct me in the car too, and generally having internet on the go would be awesome. The only thing I'm worried about is the battery life, as it is I have to charge my iPod every day, and it occasionally dies if I'm watching a lot of movies or whatever, but its a much bigger issue if your iPhone dies and you can't call anyone.

Oh thanks I'll check it out, at least to tide me over. I always prefer Google Earth over a map (makes it way easier to visualise), and I'd like a proper GPS to direct me in the car too, and generally having internet on the go would be awesome. The only thing I'm worried about is the battery life, as it is I have to charge my iPod every day, and it occasionally dies if I'm watching a lot of movies or whatever, but its a much bigger issue if your iPhone dies and you can't call anyone.

It's kinda expensive but I think it's WAY better than the regular maps app

Ah, the way I took your post, Morgan, was that you thought the iPhone didn't have any navigation - I understand now. I'm actually pretty impressed with my phone's battery life, I'm never like "fuuuuuu it's about to die." I have a car charger and a charger in every room I am in most of the time, just habit to plug it in whenever I'm just chilling somewhere and there is a charger.

I understand completely, but it just seems that Apple puts these iphones out that just have speed improvements and whoever bought the one before gets fucked big time. That's just the thing, I builtt my home tower PC in late 2008 and it still runs today's games smoothly. A phone from the same time is regarded as junk now. Do you understand where I'm getting at?
Yeah man totally! I'm already crying because when the iPhone 5 comes out I will realize the 4 sucks donkey penis and everythings shinier and brighter and faster on the new one :lol: :wah:
It really is ridiculous how fast they develop, and most people can't / won't afford buying the newest phone at any time. Personally I wish to get every 2nd new generation, so I'll skip the 5 and buy the whatever-comes-next-iPhone. If I have the cash that is.. but my contract will be renewed in June next year and it's probably smarter to buy a new Phone for the discounted price then,.. ah we'll see.
I do want the iphone 4 though :l but then again 5 is probably coming out soon enough
Yeah at this point I would definitely wait for the 5 if I were you - the iPhone4 has been around for some time now (it's ancient :lol: j/k) and the new one will blow the shit out of the current iPhone if you believe the rumors (bigger screen, no antenna problems, even better camera, a usable flash because it's on the other side of the phone and not directly beside the lens thus making all pictures with flash unusable)

The latest update (the iPhone4) is 349 days old, the average is 256 days.. so the new one will have more than a year of new technology -> it's gotta be better.
http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iPhone

Ugh, I still don't understand people's fascination with the 4's antenna... I've NEVER had a problem with it...

By the way, can you please explain to me how the flash on the 4 makes "all pictures with flash unusable"? Because my photos with flash come out perfectly fine...

Ugh, I still don't understand people's fascination with the 4's antenna... I've NEVER had a problem with it...

By the way, can you please explain to me how the flash on the 4 makes "all pictures with flash unusable"? Because my photos with flash come out perfectly fine...

^same

bugs so far in iOS5 beta 1:
I don't get words with friends notifications
Sound is weird. Really quiet, even with the volume turned all the way up. Conversations are fine. Just notifications sounds and such from the phone.

Haha me neither. Still, it occured to some people in a way they couldn't answer calls so resolving this once and for all is a good feature imo :lol:
Well, all pictures I take with flash are 3/4 blue. I don't know exactly what's wrong but I guess it's from the flash being too close to the lense. There's a huge blue shimmer over most parts of the picture, coming from the flash's direction and it's there everytime, so it can't be the lightning situation or the way I hold the phone.

Very strange man, I even had an aftermarket back cover on my phone that replaced the OEM glass one from Apple for a while. It didn't have the flash diffuser in it and the pics still came out totally fine when using flash. \_(o_O)_/

Huh, I figured that was the reason they changed the design (placing the flash on the other side) :D What you said made me realize I have one of those thin protection films on the back, that might be the reason for the shimmery thing.. it was very handy until I got the speck pixelskin protection, and saved it from several huge scratches when I dropped it at an open-air gig :lol: brb, getting the film off and checking out if the problem is gone