Is music inherently linked to emotion?

Emotional responses to music are very much a personal thing. So many things influence them, like past experiences, and memories and images in your mind. Often I'll listen to a piece of music and it will conjure up images of a place I've visited, or a feeling that I may not of had for years, but I know I've felt it before. It's kind of freaky actually.

Music, or good music I should say, is emotionally based I think. That's what attracts people to it I guess.

lyrics are a big part of emotion to me, thats why i will sometimes like songs that are not metal/rock as i can relate/connect to the lyrics. i know that a lot of the lyrics have different meanings to the lead singer, but even though i know that i interprate them the way i want to, so that it is more relavant to me.

Emotional responses to music are very much a personal thing. So many things influence them, like past experiences, and memories and images in your mind. Often I'll listen to a piece of music and it will conjure up images of a place I've visited, or a feeling that I may not of had for years, but I know I've felt it before. It's kind of freaky actually.

Yeah, but I don't think oits solely personal, as most people agree on the mood of a piece of music, and certain pieces just give off that vibe. But I know exactly what u mean, like smells do, you suddenly remember what it was like at that time whatever... It can be really wierd!

lyrics are a big part of emotion to me, thats why i will sometimes like songs that are not metal/rock as i can relate/connect to the lyrics. i know that a lot of the lyrics have different meanings to the lead singer, but even though i know that i interprate them the way i want to, so that it is more relavant to me.

I think to me, its the music that has the effect, not the lyrics. I mean some Anathema songs I find not happy, but definitely not sad, but if you listen to the lyrics they are really depressing! Same with Opeth at times.

I think if the lyrics and music suit each other that can add to the effect the music has, but to me, nearly all the emotion is conveyed through the music. The way I always think of it poetry is lyrics without the limitations of the music, so if you like lyrics solely poetry is the way to go.

YES :D YES :D YES :D YES :D YES you feel, experience the sounds, music is a form of expressing emotion, mood!

Originally posted by Jo
YES :D YES :D YES :D YES :D YES you feel, experience the sounds, music is a form of expressing emotion, mood!

As is all art! I wonder why?

And I've got several acoustic versions of soma, that are so good! But personally I prefer disarm. And to forgive. And Mellon collie. And tonight tonight. AndDaphne descends. Oh fuck it I love all smashing pumpkins stuff :D

Originally posted by godisanathiest

As is all art! I wonder why?

And I've got several acoustic versions of soma, that are so good! But personally I prefer disarm. And to forgive. And Mellon collie. And tonight tonight. AndDaphne descends. Oh fuck it I love all smashing pumpkins stuff :D

yeah to forgive used to be my fav song, and wow those songs u mentioned are my favs, i dont think you'll care but they played a 15 minute version of Ava Adore as the last song, wow that makes that song sooooo special for me. you can always get their last concert on DVD soon, although i suppose its not the same. :cry:

It can also be a sub-conscious kinda thing.... sometimes u listen to a song and u feel good after although u don't know why.. ambient music you feel no emotions but its good anyway

It operates on many levels.

It activates memories and subconscious murmurs of emotion.
It brings forward the first, second, and all subsequent times you've listened to the song.
It induces involuntary movements.
It flows into you, shakes you up a bit, then moves aside for the next hit.

It's integral to my being.

I think the emotion/music feeling is a two way street.

I've heard music that reminds me of past things which make me emotional, but I've also heard songs that to me just are emotional without any past events coming to mind.

That happens in movies also - the basic tear jerker (like Brians Song) or a movie which parallels something in my past which envokes a personal emotion.

Originally posted by hibernal_dream
It can also be a sub-conscious kinda thing.... sometimes u listen to a song and u feel good after although u don't know why.. ambient music you feel no emotions but its good anyway

I don't know, if you bother to listen to a lot of ambient, it inspires emotions in me...

It activates memories and subconscious murmurs of emotion. It brings forward the first, second, and all subsequent times you've listened to the song. It induces involuntary movements. It flows into you, shakes you up a bit, then moves aside for the next hit

I can't help feeling it is more than this. I think its more than an amalgamation of all the emotions you've had while listening to it, or the emotions of the thoughts it provokes, I think it is a part of us, I don't know why, but I think that if someone who'd never heard music before in their life, heard an unhappy song (without lyrics) they would still be able to tell you that it was unhappy from just the music

I think the emotion/music feeling is a two way street.
I've heard music that reminds me of past things which make me emotional, but I've also heard songs that to me just are emotional without any past events coming to mind.
That happens in movies also - the basic tear jerker (like Brians Song) or a movie which parallels something in my past which envokes a personal emotion

Yeah, I'm wondering why some songs show emotion without any past events etc. :confused: its seems strange to me

A lot of times when im really into the music ill get images in my head, sorta like the sound track to movie, but i think music is simply the soundtrack to our lives :)

I have some CD's that are linked to certain times in my life. Some of these periods in my life I would really rather nto remember, so some of my CD's I can't even listen to without feeling completely depressed. Cd's that are hard to listen to include
Borknagar's "The Olden Domain"
and even Blackwater Park is hard to listen to sometimes.
But sometimes music can be linked to great emotions or memories, which is something that I greatly enjoy.

...perhaps the feeling of 'sadness' also may have something to do with the minor scale...it can have a dark inward feeling...

Ive heard some interesting thing lately...that if you listen to music you like, your body sets free the same kind of hormones as when youre having sex ...
so i think music and emotion are very closely linked together

No, in some cases, I guess the person is feeling what the music is "supposed" to make them feel, but I think if you're someone who connects with music more than the average bear, then no. I don't think it's inherently linked to emotion. That person actually hears something in the music that only they can relate to and that's what makes it special to them.