KEITH EMERSON, ELP keyboardist, R.I.P.

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER KEYBOARDIST KEITH EMERSON DEAD AT 71

"...Emerson, Lake & Palmer keyboardist Keith Emerson has passed away at the age of 71. The following announcement was made via the band's Facebook page and official website.

“We regret to announce that Keith Emerson died last night at his home in Santa Monica, Los Angeles, aged 71. We ask that the family’s privacy and grief be respected.”

Carl Palmer has posted the following via his official website:

“I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson.
Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz.
I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship, and dedication to his musical craft.
I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did, together. Rest in peace, Keith.”..."

I really don't know what to say. This is THE band that introduced me to prog music. I went out after hearing their S/T and started seeking out this marvelous music which was being called "progressive rock". To this day, 'Tarkus' is one of my all time favorite discs. Sad. R.I.P. Keith. You were one of the icons.

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that Keith Emerson was a huge influence on me musically, both as a musician and as a fan. When I was a junior high kid learning to play keyboards my teacher introduced me to ELP's music and had me learn Touch and Go. ELP(owell) was the first big rock concert I attended in 1986 at the tender age of 14. Three decades later his influence stands out as starting one of the most enjoyable parts of my life.

RIP Keith

What a terrible loss! ELP were a major influence on my musical tastes and interests. Keith was one of only a few keyboard players, including Jon Lord RIP, who could tear it up and torture sounds out of their instrument with the very best of guitarists. Beyond the bombastic progressiveness for which he is most recognized, Keith was a complete musician, accomplished in many genres including classical and jazz. I was fortunate enough to see ELP with Deep Purple and Dream Theater all on the same bill at Blossom Music Center outside of Cleveland. The song Trilogy captures the diversity, emotion, and wildness of Keith’s talent that I will always cherish.

That just sends chills up and down my spine. The mold is broke. RIP Keith…

This is the first gut punch I've had in a while. ELP was the first band I ever connected with, and Keith Emerson was basically god. I'm lucky that I got to see them a few times in the day...it was like going to church for me. RIP Keith.

That just sends chills up and down my spine. The mold is broke. RIP Keith…

Thanks for playing that Lane. Made me queue up the entire disc for a full listen. What a haunting and powerful song! You can easily hear the sound which influenced this entire generation of prog rock and prog metal musicians right there in one tune. Killer stuff.

All the more tragic now that we know he took his own life. *shakes head* Just...don't...understand...

I remain a deeply saddened fan. :-(

All the more tragic now that we know he took his own life. *shakes head* Just...don't...understand...

Wait.. What? (Looks it up.) Crap, that just makes it worse.

Emerson was my introduction to prog keyboardists, before I even knew what Prog was or even ELP. To say he had a heavy influence in my listening habits is an understatement.

How awful is this....?

ELP star Keith Emerson 'shot himself because he could no longer perform perfectly for his fans'

'Keith wasn't feeling well on Thursday night. He had bronchitis so I tucked him up in bed,' said (girlfriend Mari) Kawaguchi, 52.
'He was sleeping when I left and I thought he was sleeping when I got back, but then I realized what had happened. He was gone. I am still in total shock.
'His right hand and arm had given him problems for years. He had an operation a few years ago to take out a bad muscle but the pain and nerve issues in his right hand were getting worse.
'He had concerts coming up in Japan and even though they hired a back-up keyboard player to support him, Keith was worried.
'He read all the criticism online and was a sensitive soul. Last year he played concerts and people posted mean comments such as, 'I wish he would stop playing.'
'He was tormented with worry that he wouldn't be good enough. He was planning to retire after Japan.
'He didn't want to let down his fans. He was a perfectionist and the thought he wouldn't play perfectly made him depressed, nervous and anxious.'

Greg Lake says he feared for ELP star Keith.

“I have to be honest and say that his death didn’t come as a shock to me,” he said.
"The situation with Keith didn’t happen suddenly, it had been developing from as far back as the Works Vol 1 album (1977). At that point, I began to see things happening with Keith which didn’t look or feel right.”
Lake did his best to help his friend – “when you’re close you always hope tomorrow will be better” – but eventually he became “impossible” to work with.
“I think its a very difficult thing to actually describe what depression is,” he said. “We all know what it looks like, people’s moods become very black. But it’s more complicated than that. It changes someone’s personality.
“Also, Keith got into substance abuse, which made it worse and the whole thing just spiralled. He lived, in the end, this very lonely existence of someone who was deeply troubled, He loved music – that was his main purpose in life. But the music he made after ELP never bore fruit in the same way as it did in the early days.”
Lake is proud of the work he and Keith did in Emerson, Lake & Palmer, particularly the trio of 1970s albums (Tarkus, Trilogy and Brain Salad Surgery) which catapulted them to multi-million selling international success.
“I was always searching for those early days, I was always looking for that spark of effervescence that we had during the making of all those great records.”
The pair last worked together two years ago when they played a festival in London. But by that point Emerson was also beginning to suffer from an affliction which made it hard for him to play the keyboards.
“Part of Keith’s problem was that, especially in later years, he’d begun to develop a degenerative disease that affected his hands. He lost control of some of his fingers.”
Lake is reluctant to link this illness too firmly to his death.
“I’m sure it was a component. But I have to say to you that a lot of people are given bad news like that and you don’t take your life because of it. I’m not a doctor but I saw someone who became increasingly confused, desperate and depressed. It happens to people. All I would say is that if anyone does have feelings like that, of being so desperate that they think it’s better off not to wake up tomorrow, then please, go and talk to somebody - the doctor, your friend, anybody. Talk to them and tell them what state you’re in. If Keith had taken that path he might still be here today,” he said.

GREG LAKE IN "DEEP SADNESS" OVER LOSS OF ELP BANDMATE - "I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER KEITH EMERSON AS A REMARKABLE MUSICIAN, COMPOSER AND HIS GIFT AND PASSION TO ENTERTAIN"

"To all ELP friends and fans all over the world, I would like to express my deep sadness upon hearing this tragic news. As you know Keith and I spent many of the best years of our lives together and to witness his life coming to an end in the way that it has is painful, both to myself and to all who knew him.
As sad and tragic as Keith’s death is, I would not want this to be the lasting memory people take away with them. What I will always remember about Keith Emerson was his remarkable talent as a musician and composer and his gift and passion to entertain. Music was his life and despite some of the difficulties he encountered I am sure that the music he created will live on forever.
My deepest condolences go to Keith’s family.
May he now be at peace."

Last edited:
STEVE HACKETT AND MARK STEIN TO JOIN CARL PALMER’S ELP LEGACY DURING SPECIAL TRIBUTE SHOW

"...Legendary Genesis guitarist and solo artists Steve Hackett and Vanilla Fudge keyboardist and vocalist Mark Stein will both join Carl and his band for the tribute show in Miami...
...To honor his late friend and former bandmate, Palmer, in association with Audio One, will present a special show: “Pictures At An Exhibition- A Tribute To Keith Emerson” which will feature music by Carl Palmer’s ELP Legacy band with special guests, cinematic images, and performances by The Center For Contemporary Dance, who will interpret the music of Emerson Lake & Palmer in contemporary dance segments combined with backing from Palmer and his band. The tribute show will be staged one night only, Friday, June 24th, at Miami, Florida’s historic and intimate Olympia Theater.

Tickets are available at the Olympia Theater...."

KEITH EMERSON TRIBUTE CONCERT SET FOR MAY 28TH

"...The "Official" Keith Emerson Tribute Concert will be held Saturday, May 28, at the El Rey Theatre in Los Angeles, California presented by Goldenvoice. It will be a retrospective of Keith's entire career from the Nice, to ELP, to the Keith Emerson Band and Three Fates Project. Many of the artists who were close friends and have worked with Keith will be performing some of his most famous works...."