Kristoffer Gildenlow OUT of Pain of Salvation

Soundscape

Sep 16, 2002
Maplewood, MN
allmediareviews.blogspot.com
We are sad to announce that Kristoffer is of now no longer a member of Pain of Salvation. After having been the band's bass player since 1994, he has now kindly been asked by the other members to leave the band. The separation derives from growing difficulties to function together as a band since Kristoffer moved to Holland a few years back.
The band's own statement:
"We are a band who loves to play music together, and who values being a real band rather than a project that functions on distance. Being a tight unit welded together musically and personally is an important part of the band's soul; and constantly being decimated while composing, rehearsing, and even recording, simply proved impossible in the long run.
Kristoffer has grown to become a tremendous bass player during the years with Pain of Salvation and it is with sadness that we now see him go, but since this logistic situation will not change within the coming years, we unfortunately see no other choice."
painofsalvation.com

KristofferGildenlowKyleandJohanLangellfingersup.jpg

this is really too bad. I'm sure they'll be able to find someone soon as PoS are a well respected band around the world and in Sweden. But it is somewhat of a shock...having met Kristoffer and emailed him. But if things don't work logistically..I mean ya gotta do what is best for "The Team"...hopefully he'll continue with music as I have always liked his playing. He brought the funk side to PoS..or atleast a large part of that.

This in a way is similar to how Erik Rosvold left Zero Hour. He wasn't available or committed to the band fully. I suppose that's a bigger thing than some band members realize at some point..in some cases atleast.

Also ironic as this comes just days before a very significant anniversary for me (and others) related to PoS.

I guess news like this makes me even more grateful to have seen him 3 times with PoS at PP.

Kyle

yeah I saw that, the bright side of this is that maybe they'll tour more often since they'll be more a group and not dependant on Kristoffer's availability, but that i just the silver lining. It still sucks hard..

Soundscape said:
this is really too bad. I'm sure they'll be able to find someone soon as PoS are a well respected band around the world and in Sweden. But it is somewhat of a shock...having met Kristoffer and emailed him. But if things don't work logistically..I mean ya gotta do what is best for "The Team"...hopefully he'll continue with music as I have always liked his playing. He brought the funk side to PoS..or atleast a large part of that.

This in a way is similar to how Erik Rosvold left Zero Hour. He wasn't available or committed to the band fully. I suppose that's a bigger thing than some band members realize at some point..in some cases atleast.

Also ironic as this comes just days before a very significant anniversary for me (and others) related to PoS.

I guess news like this makes me even more grateful to have seen him 3 times with PoS at PP.

Kyle
Yes, that does suck! Especially since he is not only an AWESOME bassist, but was an integral part of the backing vox. And leaving a band that you've been in with your brother for so long has to be strange (although it could be part of it).

I, too, am glad to have seen them three times at PP! I stood right in front of Kristoffer @ PP1 too! I don't think we'll ever be seeing them again in the US. COnsider ourselves lucky.

BlindPanzer said:
yeah I saw that, the bright side of this is that maybe they'll tour more often since they'll be more a group and not dependant on Kristoffer's availability, but that i just the silver lining. It still sucks hard..
I think the big problem with them touring here has NOTHING to do with Kristoffer and EVERYTHING to do with his cantankerous brother. :(

Rick Pierpont said:
I think the big problem with them touring here has NOTHING to do with Kristoffer and EVERYTHING to do with his cantankerous brother. :(

I didn't mean it that way. I know that it's mostly because of DG that they don't tour here and I agree with his reasoning, I just think that if they tour more often (europe, south america) it'll make them a better band altogether.

This can't be true. Siblings can't do that, you're stuck together FOREVER.

Trust me, I've got 3 of them that I can't get rid of (ha ha).

This is PoS, not Oasis!

I think people need to remember that Pain of Salvation is a band, not a communist regimen run by Daniel. If the band wanted to play out in their own city or country on the weekend, they could not even do that due Kristoffer being in another country. There were four members other that had a voice, not just one.

I don't know the story, but I don't think you can lay the blame all on Daniel just because he is his brother.

Glenn H.

exactly. You can't really be a band if you have to buy a plane ticket everytime you want to practice or play a gig or two.

That is terrible news. I hope the dynamic of the band isn't altered that much with a new bass player. They were headed in such a great direction with their writing. :cry: Regarding the touring, hopefully they will figure that thing out, but, a huge thanks to Glenn for getting them to PP for us to experience. (3 times!)

It's funny...even though the press release strives to be as objective and neutral as possible, you can almost read some bile and bitterness between the lines...

Maybe not...but it could be interpreted a few ways...interesting statement...

Rock on!