Least Favorite

I dont know why so many opeth fans dont like the old works of opeth (Orchid and Morningrise) as much as the new albums.

In my list, Orchid and Morningrise are the best albums of Opeth (Although they dont have a good production) Followed by Still Life and MAYH.

and the least favorite album IMO has to be Deliverance and Damnation.

Trey Parker said:
i don't even count the albums after still life to be part of the opeth catalog

Yea all those other albums were from another band, also called Opeth.

My least favourite: Deliverance.

Deliverance ? I'm always suprised by the unanimity. It's certainly their darkest, heaviest and less accessible, but certainly not their worst. I would give the nod to Orchid, easily.

frycus said:
Deliverance ? I'm always suprised by the unanimity. It's certainly their darkest, heaviest and less accessible, but certainly not their worst. I would give the nod to Orchid, easily.

darkest: no (MAYH, or even Morningrise)

heaviest: no (MAYH)

least accessible: no (Morningrise or Orchid)

worst: yes. (no question)

Anyone who thinks Deliverance isn't the worst is retarded and hasn't listened to enough Opeth. There is nothing subjective about this.

I've always wondered about people saying that Orchid is the least accessible Opeth album, because it clicked with me almost instantly. It's also one that I think non-metal people can appreciate cause it has more of those folk and nature influences than later releases which were more metal. Maybe it's the least accessible if you're already a big fan of DM?

Mumblefood said:

Anyone who thinks Deliverance isn't the worst is retarded and hasn't listened to enough Opeth. There is nothing subjective about this.

darkest, MAYH ? In a theatrical way maybe...
heaviest, MAYH ? The cowbell settles the matter ...
least accessible, Orchid ? In the sense that it's not that good, probably ...

Mumblefood said:

Orchid + Morningrise are waaaay more accessible than Deliverance. Deliverance is heavier than MAYH, the growls are more extereme, and the riffs are more brutal. MAYH is much more melodic and emotional, but not all out heavy like Deliverance is. Thank you.

Deliverance is Opeth's most colossal,heavy, dark album to date. Maybe I am partial to it for those reason's but I think it's more than just that. It's loaded to the brim with classic riffs and even knew things. It has a lot of stuff but still is not aimless. It's more to the point than any other Opeth offering without sacrificing elements and atmosphere. It flows from start to finish with no bullshit at all. The tribal drum section on 'Wreath' to the last four minutes in the song 'Deliverance' Opeth is treading new grounds. The guitar harmonies,riffs are easily some of Opeth's best,most creative and contructed to date. 'Master's Apprentice's is easily Opeths best song EVER.

Why people say it is their worst is beyond me. Why no one is backing the album is strange to me. Deliverance rocks out harder than anything they have done and is refreshing.

Some of you need to stop being pussies and check your ears.

The Greys said:
Deliverance is Opeth's most colossal,heavy, dark album to date. Maybe I am partial to it for those reason's but I think it's more than just that. It's loaded to the brim with classic riffs and even knew things. It has a lot of stuff but still is not aimless. It's more to the point than any other Opeth offering without sacrificing elements and atmosphere. It flows from start to finish with no bullshit at all. The tribal drum section on 'Wreath' to the last four minutes in the song 'Deliverance' Opeth is treading new grounds. The guitar harmonies,riffs are easily some of Opeth's best,most creative and contructed to date. 'Master's Apprentice's is easily Opeths best song EVER.

Why people say it is their worst is beyond me. Why no one is backing the album is strange to me. Deliverance rocks out harder than anything they have done and is refreshing.

Some of you need to stop being pussies and check your ears.

Word up

Although I love Morningrise more than any other Opeth album (ok.. Still Life) i dont like Orchid. I cant identify with it, the sound is harsh and too brutal. Also i dont like the growls. I think Orchid is my least favourite at the time, but im pretty sure that i will love it in some time. Maybe its just one of those albums i need a lot of time to get into it..