Maybe getting a tattoo - need advice on runen !!

haayema

A.A. Collector
Jul 10, 2008
The Netherlands
Me and my little brother are considering a tattoo in runen.
It should say "Brothers" of "We are brothers".

I did a little research myself and found out that there are several types of runes which were used during various time periods by various tribes/people/countries. A few examples are Elder Futhark and something called Long Branch, which is supposedly some kind of Younger Futhark.

I would like to use the runes the Vikings from Scandinavia would have used in their days. So I want i historically correct, so to say :) There are some converters online, but I do not trust them enough. I know some people on the boards have great knowledge about runes, so I would highly appreciate your input!

This is what "Brothers" is spelled in Old Futhark and Long Branch:

Looking forward to your reaction!

:kickass:

I will not claim myself to be any kind of authority on runes. I’M NOT! But I do know most runes by memory, and I have done quite a lot of research online, reading rune stones.
The thing is, that a thousand years ago, there doesn’t seem to have been any sort of general agreement on how the rune should look, which one to use, or even how words should be spelled!
However, one thing that is certain, is that most rune carvings found in Scandinavia are of the Younger Futhark. Maybe the Elder Futhark was just not ever that well known in it’s time, or the objects didn’t survive the test of time, as they were older.

For some reason the people back then at some point decided that having only 16 letters were better than 24 (as in the Elder Futhark). I personally find this very strange. Especially many of the vowels disappeared, and you just have to use another letter to replace it.
For instance, there is no “o” in Younger Futhark, so you might use “u” instead. And there is no “e” so you might use “i” or “a” instead. Also, there is no “v” or “w”, which makes it hard to spell “viking”, so you spell it “uiking” instead.
I found a few rune stones which use the word “brother”.
Please note this when reading the rune inscriptions on Wikipedia:
“Latin transliteration” is letter for letter translation.
”Old Norse transcription” is what they meant to write, had they not been forced to replace letters with others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_runestones#Vg_197
On this one from Sweden, “brothers” is spelled bruþr (That is “bruthr”. I do not know if this word is really plural or singular, as I do not know any old Norse grammar).
Bruþr is ᛒᚱᚢᚦᚱ
2edcw89.jpg
<- Runes are written here, they might not be visible on phones, tablets, or some computers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_runestones#.C3.96land
On this one, also from Sweden, “brother” is spelled bruþiR (That is “bruthiR”. Note that upper case R is not the same as a lower case, but I do not know why).
BruþiR is &#5842;&#5809;&#5794;&#5798;&#5825;&#5862;
qrkhli.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingvar_runestones#S.C3.B6dermanland (scroll up to U Fv1992;157)
Lastly, also from Sweden, “brother” is spelled bruþur.
bruþur is &#5842;&#5809;&#5794;&#5798;&#5794;&#5809;
2gumcjp_th.gif

As you can see, there really are no standards when it comes to runes! :loco:

----
Your Elder Futhark example spells “BROTHERS”, it’s all there. I’m not really sure about the “s”, I believe it’s from the younger, but I might be mistaken there. But as I said earlier, there was no definite way of how they wrote their runes back then.

The Younger Futhark one says “BR&#260;THARS”. The “&#260;” seems to be more related to “a” than “o”, but since there is no actual “o”, “&#260;” could work. Though using two u’s might be a little more authentic somehow.

In conclusion, there is no real “correct” way to spell it. If you are going for something as authentic “Viking” as possible, you should probably stick to Younger Futhark, as this is what they were known for using.

That said, I personally prefer Elder Futhark. I simply think it looks better, and you’ll have a better chance of using accurate letters. Amon Amarth use Elder Futhark exclusively in their artwork as well :worship:

(Though writing this post has actually made me realize that the missing/replaced letters in Younger Futhark are really quite charming!)

Thanks Puje, your post is realy helpfull.
So if I understand correctly, when using Younger Futhark, one should write Bruthurs instead of Brothers ?

And BTW, I cannot see the runen you wrote using Google Chrome.

I added the runes as images so everyone can view them.
I would either go with Bruthurs or Bruthirs. Both seem to be equally correct :)