Merch merch merch!

I really like the grey jerseys w/ black sleeves and the Symphony X decal in red on the front, sleek and simple. If I see them for a third time live and they have something similar, simple with the logo big on it, I'll get another one.

Busts of each band member. They would go really well in my entryway.

That would be sweet...

I'm a fan of:

Hoodies
Flasks (alcoholic? :lol: )
Shirts
Pendants (for the rear view mirror!)

Now, a note about band t-shirts:
I really dislike when bands just lift their album art wholesale and plaster it square by square on the front of the shirt. I prefer a more decorative design, something that while representative of a particular album or period, stands unique on its own and looks like a great shirt. The last thing I want my chest to look like is a TV set. For an example of 'good' see my avatar or the Scar Symmetry 'A New Form Of Darkness' shirt.

I really like the grey jerseys w/ black sleeves and the Symphony X decal in red on the front, sleek and simple. If I see them for a third time live and they have something similar, simple with the logo big on it, I'll get another one.
You mean this shirt? :)

BTW, this thread made news over at Bravewords...because when Jax talks, the whole metal community listens! :D
http://www.bravewords.com/news/108410

Now, a note about band t-shirts:
I really dislike when bands just lift their album art wholesale and plaster it square by square on the front of the shirt. I prefer a more decorative design, something that while representative of a particular album or period, stands unique on its own and looks like a great shirt. The last thing I want my chest to look like is a TV set. For an example of 'good' see my avatar or the Scar Symmetry 'A New Form Of Darkness' shirt.

I agree with this sentiment. I'd love some t-shirt options with just "Symphony X" written on them... no lightning... no naked women flying around... no cloaked figures peering into other dimensions...

The merchandising Odyssey began many years ago. It's been a long time doing something I quite enjoy. It's been the creative outlet that my normal everyday job lacks. And seeing all these comments means some good has come out of it. It also reminds me that there is so much more yet to do. This will be a bit of lengthy post, but I'm going to try to address some of the many things that have come up and could use an answer or some clarification. It's going on 9 years of dealing with this....

The best thing ever to come of the merchandise section was the plain black hoodie with the blue SX logo. I did buy one years ago, though now it's worn and the jet black color has faded substantially. I did not like the many tie-dye style shirts and sweatshirt variants with zippers and the like. And it just got baffling to see the sports jersey, I mean what?! If that hoodie was released again, I'd probably buy two just to cover myself for the long haul.

I love the mugs, wish I bought an Odyssey one, yet probably will do the same with the Paradise Lost one available currently. I can't justify $15+shipping for a mug. This isn't really a simple project in the traditional merch sense, but I think we all know we need more of SX's material transcribed into sheet. I particularly want to see more of the keyboards. You can't find a midi for everything.

But really though, I'm going to venture that I speak for the majority when I say we need better/more tasteful wearable items. And I'd kill for that hoodie to be available again (and not in a different color; that blue on black was utterly perfect).

This is a post that kills me. It covers a lot of ground merch wise, but for every yin there's a yang.

The blue and silver logo items were available on the website off and on over the years. There was the Black hoodies, the black long sleeve tee version, and there were two short sleeve versions. The two short sleeve ones were printed in navy blue and hunter green. They were among the first logo only designs ever made available through the website. The reason they were phased out was to help work through the backlog of inventory of the Red and White logo tees that were printed up for Gigantour. It's taken some time, but those are pretty much gone...even though they are still listed on the site. I'll see what I can do about getting some of the old ones together again for the site.

Tie-dyes - The blame is all on me for this. I explored this route and I had an enjoyable time doing so. For the record, the "many tie-dyes" that is reference in the above note would constitute as follows: Odyssey print on the partially dyed tee (blue version and purple version) and a swirl dyed logo tee (black version and blue version). The original Odyssey ones were made for the first dates of the Odyssey tour and they sold out on that tour for the most part. Someone must have like them in order for that to happen. The one that is listed on the website is different than the original. The original had a smaller print of the Odyssey cover and is nowhere close to what the current Odyssey shirt (dyed or otherwise) looks like. The one on the website was dnoe in a very small quantity in order to make the old dye pattern availble one more time as there were people who still wanted it. It was during that reprint where there was one new dyed tee made. This was the full purple version of the Odyssey tee with just the sleeve burst patterns. Supplier received the wrong stock to print on and it was a little late to change. maybe 6 of these shirts were done in medium only. Sounds like many, eh?

Zippered hoodies...different strokes for different folks. The first ones were actually done for the band. The second ones were done for the Paradise Lost tour. As for standard pullover hoodies, the only ones done through the site have been the the logo ones and the ones with the Divine Wings of Tragedy print. Yes, I said DWOT. Oh and there was also an Odyssey hoodie that existed for one brief run through the US in 2004. Those sold out on tour and have never been reprinted.

Come to think of it, the baseball tee came out during that same run in 2004. The ones from the tour in 2004 differ from the ones now available. The one that were available during the PL tour lacked a back print.

Mugs - Yes, blame me for these too. The band drinks coffee and it only seemed to make sense to do it. Of course, printing with a full color wrap was also different. I'm very proud of the way both the Odyssey and Paradise Lost mugs came out. They are unique. The mask shot glass was cool too. The downside to the mugs is the pure hell in mailing them out. I wish it were easier, but it isn't. The mug weighs in at 1.25 pounds. It's a solid ceramic item. And shipping it is just expensive. That's the downside to creating something unique like this.

Lastly, at least for this post, the dagger is at the end of the note "I'm going to venture that I speak for the majority when I say we need better/more tasteful wearable items." To each their own, but I've spent all this time doing what had to be done. I've seen it grow from just two t-shirts to something unimaginable. It's been an eye opening experience. One that I have been thankful for and even more grateful for having the chance to do for a band that I love. They gave me a chance that has led to wroking with other people during that time, but I will always be thankful for that first opportunity. I've always tried to focus on doing quality items and going the extra mile to assure that the fans were thought of throughout the whole process. I guess your taste and mine are different, and this is a good thing. Perhaps that's why there has been so much stuff done over the years, to get something to someone who is a fan.

I have to cut out for now, but I'll hit up some other posts later this evening.

FHL
Glenn

WhoFooldU, I don't have a lot of time right now as I'm out the door for work, but I wanted to step in quick and say this. First, thanks for the extremely detailed and intelligent response, and second, let me apologize that the "dagger" at the end of my post. Apparently, I do not speak for the majority...but I will say that I speak for myself, the friends I know in real life, and also anybody I've ever talked about this with on the internet. Though just because I never personally met anybody who liked the tie-dye, doesn't mean that nobody did.

I appreciate the fact that you're willing to accept that different people have different tastes...and I'm more than willing to accept yours if you'll accept ours (and mine)...especially as you're in charge of merchandise ;)

I did get one of those shirts with the red SX logo on front. When I actually had it in front of me, I didn't like it so much; not surprised they didn't go as well as the blue and silver. If the old style made a comeback, I'd definitely buy, both on a normal tshirt and the hoodie.

One more idea: not everything has to be black. What about a white tee with the silver print? Would be kinda nice, IMO. And oh, don't forget the end-all shirts, BUTTON-DOWNS. (yea, like that's going to happen...)

How about Lasse carve some wooden figurines of the band members? :lol:

I agree that something old school should be done, preferably Damnation Game-era. I remember the Divine Wings shirts selling really quickly when they were first made, because I was lazy and put off placing my order for a couple months and my size was no longer available.

I've always thought that some of the artwork in the Paradise Lost album booklet would make some kickass shirts. Particularly the image of the angel with her back to the viewer, facing the demons. It's on the two centre pages of the booklet.

I hate to quote my own post but I'm surprised no one else has shown interest in this. Have you guys seen how awesome the artwork in the PL booklet is? :p

I have always wondered... Why so many t-shirts have the tour dates on the back? I think that's just waste of space! Even if it's a tour where I visited every gig, I still wouldn't give a shit about the dates being put on the back of my t-shirt (rather have it blank).

I second the hoodies request. I think they are very very cool. My friend has a Paradise Lost hoodie (don't remember where he got it) and it's simply awesome. Longsleeved wearables in general are cooler than t-shirts imo.

Oh yeah and I like those wall flags too. Way better than posters.

I'll agree with you on the tour date thing. But, I kno there are people who want that type of stuff. Personally, I prefer a blank back too.

Hoodies...Paradise Lost zippered ones... I think I have a couple that I could help out with if need be. And to the best of my knowledge, there has been at least one long sleeve available at some point during the turing cycle for each release going back to the tour for Twilight.

Wall flags...while I see people suggesting them, the truth it's an expensive product with a prohibitive minimum order. Might not happen for a long while.

Glenn

For shirts, I always look for something other than the cliche black tee...navy, charcoal, even kelly green would be cool. And ringer tees would sweet as hell.

yeah, I hear you on this one. I'm a color fan as well. Check the earlier post in the thread. At one point, there were navy and green logo shirts. Those day could come back.

WhoFooldU, I don't have a lot of time right now as I'm out the door for work, but I wanted to step in quick and say this. First, thanks for the extremely detailed and intelligent response, and second, let me apologize that the "dagger" at the end of my post. Apparently, I do not speak for the majority...but I will say that I speak for myself, the friends I know in real life, and also anybody I've ever talked about this with on the internet. Though just because I never personally met anybody who liked the tie-dye, doesn't mean that nobody did.

I appreciate the fact that you're willing to accept that different people have different tastes...and I'm more than willing to accept yours if you'll accept ours (and mine)...especially as you're in charge of merchandise ;)

I did get one of those shirts with the red SX logo on front. When I actually had it in front of me, I didn't like it so much; not surprised they didn't go as well as the blue and silver. If the old style made a comeback, I'd definitely buy, both on a normal tshirt and the hoodie.

One more idea: not everything has to be black. What about a white tee with the silver print? Would be kinda nice, IMO. And oh, don't forget the end-all shirts, BUTTON-DOWNS. (yea, like that's going to happen...)

It's all good my friend. I'm willing to listen and entertain other thoughts in a rational manner. Just had some pent up frustrations that had to be let out in calmer way. Typing before racing off to work is just the worst. Maybe I just need to avoid the PC first thing in the morning ;)

Also, just so you know, button downs have been available at some point in time. There were some ones long ago on the website. There were also ones made for the band and crew for the PL tour. While the versions that were made for the band may not be available for sale, something else could fill that void at some point in the future.

Glenn

How about kids' items? I remember Glenn saying a long time ago that it costs more to make small t-shirts because it involves a separate print or something, but if there are enough youth XL/XXL shirts made then the people who want adult smalls should be alright.