Sat

8:00-8:40 Black Casket
8:55-9:35 Mirror Black
9:50-10:30 Sacred Dawn
10:45-11:25 Division
11:40-12:20 Destructor
12:35-1:15 Bavmorda

So whos in :kickass:

I'm there both nights. This is gonna be a hell of a weekend, I haven't seen a lot of those bands, I'm really looking forward to see Eden's Fall, Division and Ottoman Empire for the first time.

Ray, I wish we were going to be in to see you guys on Friday, but we're not going to be in until Saturday noon-ish - we're leaving after work. I do, however, expect to get totally the hell out of hand at the hotel with you guys afterwards...

I think everyone on this board knows that I am gonna be there both nights. I'm checking into the hotel as soon as I can on Friday. After that all bets are off! Ha. I'm not drinking one drop this week to save my liver for the festivities. Definitely looking forward to seeing all of the bands, as a lot of them I have never seen before. See you all this weekend! :headbang:

Well, well, the day is here! For those not blessed with myspace, I just wanted to let y'all know that things seem to be OK down in Lansing. I called the Starway(where I am booked) and things are up and running. They had a power outage last night but all is well this morning. My suggestion to any that can swing it is to head down there before the heavier rains start to fall again later this afternoon. I've got nearly three cases worth of beer...it shall not go to waste. It's time for METAL! See y'all there.

Okay, so the Metal Anthem was lots of fun! I hope it happens again next year. :) Two of my friends each won a pair of Kamelot tickets, too. And one of them nearly jumped John from Eden's fall when she found out he was giving them away. In the end, she did win the tix, though. :D

IMO, Division was easily one of the best bands there, even though just about everyone buggered off after Destructor. Boo!

Oh, and Mike...You still play guitar like...people!

Okay, so the Metal Anthem was lots of fun! I hope it happens again next year. :)

:kickass: YEAH!! The Metal Anthem ruled! Thanks to everybody that made it out despite all the storms, floods and traffic. We will DEFINATELY be doing it again next year. All of the band totally kicked ass and the crowd and the parties were awesome. Other than Tony blowing up one of his Marshall cabinets and Ray getting beat up by the cops in the parking lot, things could not have been better.:loco:

We are still sorting through pictures and video, but hope to put something online soon. If any of you took pictures (or video) and want to send 'em over, that would be very cool. You can e-mail them to info@midwestmetalanthem.com or send me a PM for my mailing address.

Thanks again to all of the bands, friends and fans! You are what this all about and you guys (& gals) rule!!!!:worship: :headbang: :headbang:

Okay, so the Metal Anthem was lots of fun! I hope it happens again next year. :) Two of my friends each won a pair of Kamelot tickets, too. And one of them nearly jumped John from Eden's fall when she found out he was giving them away. In the end, she did win the tix, though. :D

IMO, Division was easily one of the best bands there, even though just about everyone buggered off after Destructor. Boo!

Oh, and Mike...You still play guitar like...people!

so the two paying people got free tickets for another show...very nice.

I'll throw in my $.02:

First off, thanks to Ray for putting this all together. Given the events of Saturday evening, you definitely went above and beyond.

Second, a big "FU" to all the flooding. Man, did that traffic suck, or what?

Third: All of the bands were very easy to work with, as was the venue. We definitely felt at home back at JJ Kelley's. It was great hanging out with everyone after, too.

Fourth: Thanks to everyone who braved the awful traffic and came out. You guys were great.

Fifth: Thanks to C-Lo for providing an additional level of entertainment and showing designated drivers everywhere how NOT to do it. ;)

On to the bands:

Black Casket - Some very nice riffing, and excellent vocals for the style they're doing, sort of a modern thrash/death hybrid. Overall, I enjoyed them quite a bit.

Mirror Black - My second time seeing these guys, first with this lineup. Great semi-technical power/thrash with ripping lead playing and lots of interesting twists and turns in the music. The new guitarist (who's name flew right out of my head, but he's a cool guy) fits much better than Matt did, IMO. Tight, vicious, and unpredictable - a big improvment from teh previous time I saw them.

Sacred Dawn - Nice mix of melodicism and heaviness, with good vox and good original tunes. "Devil Went Down to GA" was fun, and they were really good guys, too. (I was eating and doing merch during their set, so I *know* I didn't pay as much attention to them as the other bands. Sorry. ;) )

Destructor - Nice, solid, traditional thrash metal. Enjoyable, tight, and they were having fun for sure. I don't envy them leaving right after they finished to drive home, though.

Division - I had a ball, even with Lotesto whipping my leg with his belt. Fag. :lol:

Bavmorda - A nice blend of styles, tight playing, and some nice vocals - and serious screams - from Met-Al. Hardly "typical" power metal at all, with all the arrangement twists. Very nice...

Fun was had by all. Getting up and driving back 13 hours on Sunday? Not so much...

Whew, I think I can take a few minutes to recap.

A big thanks to Ray for getting this thing together. It was my first Metal Anthem and I think there was a good mix of bands on both nights. Kudos!

I have to second the big "FU" with Mike on the flooding. If it ever takes me 1.5 hours to crawl 5 miles again I will not be responsible for my actions. I nearly lost it on Friday, so my mood was not the greatest when I initially got to the hotel. It was also at that time that I starting getting phone calls from people about their gear mishaps. I was worried but am glad that y'all got things squared away in one way or another. :)

The highlights for me were The Ottoman Empire and Division. TOE was really shreddin' it up there. I had been waiting to see those guys (and gal) for months.

Division, well, hell. I had met Mike (and apparently Ron too, but I don't remember!) at Chicago Powerfest this April. I've been dying to see Division since. Damn it you guys blew my ass away! Mike, it was so nice to see you again and to meet the rest of the band.

Sacred Dawn, of course, obliterates my ass every time I see them live. I'd also like to say (and I must have told Jose this at least twice) that Bavmorda is just a freaking aural assault. They just attack you right in the face and it's just ridiculous. Wow.

Got to meet Orbweaver's parents...that is really cool that they came to the show! I think I saw both of them wearing Bavmorda t-shirts later in the evening. Awesome.

Thanks to all that partied with me in my room. Rob, C-Lo, Jose and a lot of the bands that played on Saturday...plus others that don't post on this board. I had probably 20-30 people in my room at any given point. We managed to have the front desk call the room twice threatening to call the cops. I finally had to shoo everyone out at 5:30AM. CUH-RAAAZY.

I got back home in one piece yesterday, but standard to metal fest aftermath procedure, my day was spent being delirious and napping on and off.

I did take pictures of all of the bands, but I have not even uploaded them to my PC yet. I hope to get that done sometime this week. I unfortunately did not take any other pics...with the exception of Jose holding some lettuce...ha, don't ask! I'm kind of pissed about that, but my main goal was to get shots of the bands. When I get them all sorted and whatnot, I'll post a link here.