New Barlow & Vidales/Van Williams project

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I was pretty jazzed when I read this yesterday....

Former ICED EARTH members Matt Barlow (vocals) and Freddie Vidales (bass, guitar) have joined forces with ex-NEVERMORE drummer Van Williams in a brand new project which is currently working on original material. A short taste of what is to come can be heard in the YouTube clip below.

Commented Barlow: "Well, though we are still in the early stages of progress, we are really excited about what we are hearing thus far. We hope that you have patience with us as we continue with this creative process and search for a record label that will help us bring our music to you all in the best way. Thanks for all your support.... More to come!"

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds awesome. Especially Van Williams on the drums. Everytime I saw Nevermore, Van was the focus for me. That guy plays with such enthusiasm & is so goddamn fun to watch.

It seems like when Barlow says "I'm retiring from the music business...", he actually means "I'm leaving Iced Earth to do something else [that doesn't involve my blue uniform]..."

Good to see Vidales doing something after leaving Iced Earth.

I would assume him rejoining Iced Earth was done under the impression touring would not be so fluent. Once rejoining IE the demand was picking up and that's just not something that was feasible for Barlow long term. I'm sure this project will be more time beneficial for Barlow without impeding on family and career time.

So he probably just quit the idea of being a part of such an active touring participant of the music industry vs. something less intense and way less demanding that he can do his own way on his own time with little pressure.

But all that will be for naught if this project partakes in an active touring regiment. Festivals and one offs are doable, but month or more long tours will put him right back in a similar boat.

This sounds awesome. Especially Van
It seems like when Barlow says "I'm retiring from the music business...", he actually means "I'm leaving Iced Earth to do something else [that doesn't involve my blue uniform]..."

Matt has only retired from Iced Earth, with his most recent departure. His statement last year actually says that he will continue to create and perform in his own capacity - i.e., what his career will allow him to do, as opposed to playing nearly 200 shows in a year, which is what Iced Earth has done on the Dystopia tour cycle.

This sounds very Iced Earthy from the small sample. I'm hoping they don't just slide into an IE sound purely because that's how people know Barlow. I love old IE, but I'd hate to see this turn out to be an IE clone with Barlow at the helm. Either way this is promising for sure.

This sounds very Iced Earthy from the small sample. I'm hoping they don't just slide into an IE sound purely because that's how people know Barlow. I love old IE, but I'd hate to see this turn out to be an IE clone with Barlow at the helm. Either way this is promising for sure.

I agree...Barlow is Barlow, but I don't want the music to sound like an IE cover band. Hopefully, it won't.

~Brian~

Two thoughts:

1) It's hard to tell how similar it will be from a slow intro. Jon has a VERY distinct riffing style and while there will likely be certain similarities, I doubt Freddie will try to directly copy Jon's writing and riffing.

2) Even if he does, I wouldn't necessarily complain if it's done well. Savage Circus didn't bring much new to the table, but I enjoyed the heck out of them. I'd prefer that this new band forge their own style, but they could do a lot worse than drawing heavy influence from Stormrider/Burnt Offerings-era Iced Earth.

Matt will be singing an extensive passage on the new Artizan album 'Ancestral Energy.' I have the pre-production he recorded for me right here :Smokedev:

This shit is wicked and we will hear his entire range....super dynamic piece.

The album will be out in April.

Ty

Sounds like a great idea to me! I think the demand for a band like IE to tour is just too much, hopefully these projects are going to be more accommodating to his schedule, I'll just be happy to hear more of his voice, it would be a terrible loss for metal to lose a voice like that!

The name of the band is Ashes of Ares. Freedy Vidales from Iced Earth is the guitarist.

Here is a clip:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N_A1Y7VDxk&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

I think it sounds pretty killer.