New Volbeat...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
I've only spun it once. It's very good. I'm not sure how I'll feel about it after a few more listens. However, one thing seems certain; they're poised for breakthrough success. This disc is varied, colorful and offers more than a few songs that could capture the attention of a much wider American audience.

Predicting that a band, once part of a ProgPower line-up, will attain commercial success will always be a losing proposition. However, I will not be shocked in the slightest if this band eventually ends up with a Gold record in the U.S.

By the way, great cover art...

gangster.jpg

Zod

I'm really enjoying this album. It's got a real fun groove to it and I foresee it going well with alcohol. In fact, it makes me want to drink whiskey. After just a few listens I'm not sure yet how it stacks up to the first two albums, or at least the first which is my favorite, but I hear no sounds of a drop off whatsoever.

I've only spun it once. It's very good. I'm not sure how I'll feel about it after a few more listens. However, one thing seems certain; they're poised for breakthrough success. This disc is varied, colorful and offers more than a few songs that could capture the attention of a much wider American audience.

Predicting that a band, once part of a ProgPower line-up, will attain commercial success will always be a losing proposition. However, I will not be shocked in the slightest if this band eventually ends up with a Gold record in the U.S.

By the way, great cover art...

gangster.jpg

Zod

Sorry Zod, I have to disagree with you. You may know your way around music (I guess), but you seem to know NOTHING about artwork. That cover is terrible. It's even worse than the crappy covers the last few Iced Earth cds have sported. Yikes.

Sorry Zod, I have to disagree with you. You may know your way around music (I guess), but you seem to know NOTHING about artwork. That cover is terrible. It's even worse than the crappy covers the last few Iced Earth cds have sported. Yikes.

I'm digging the cover too. Art is subjective after all.

Yeah. . but most of us are only going to see the cover as a thumbnail jpg anyways, so it doesn't really matter hahahaha. :)

Still... something a little more along the lines of Sin City would have been much cooler imho..

I caught it this morning, and I've already given it 3 spins. I'm not sure why, but these guys just resonate with me.

Zod's right about the breakthrough success. This disc does everything right as far as pleasing current fans while simultaneously opening them up to new audiences.

If Maybellene I hofteholder is too poppy for you, just listen to Hallelujah Goat or Wild Rover of Hell. You'll be banging your head in seconds.

What the hell is there to "know"? If you want to talk about technique or something then that's a different story, but telling someone they know "NOTHING" about artwork just because they really like a particular cover is pretty retarded. Personally, I think it's a cool cover too.

After this post, in combination with your nickname, I will now forever associate you with the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

Based on the band, album title and the cover art, I can say that the image CLEARLY communicates the message/visual they're trying to get across. Isn't that the function of art in the first place?

If it has to be flashy or pretty for you to feel it is acceptable work, then I would say you have much less appreciation for the medium than you may yourself believe.

What the hell is there to "know"? If you want to talk about technique or something then that's a different story, but telling someone they know "NOTHING" about artwork just because they really like a particular cover is pretty retarded. Personally, I think it's a cool cover too.

After this post, in combination with your nickname, I will now forever associate you with the comic book guy from the Simpsons.

Ok, the "NOTHING" comment may have been a little strong....I'll grant you that, BUT..... there is a reason for my nickname. I have spent the last 15+ years as a professional comic book artist for the likes of DC Comics and Marvel. From experience, I think that I can tell when a cover is poorly drawn or not. Like I said before, the concept of the cover is alright, I just think that the execution is severely lacking. My apologies to Zod if I offended him.....but somehow, I doubt it since I've seen him get pig-piled on in other threads and watch him just shrug it off. I promise to work on my posting etiquette so as to not offend in future threads.:loco:

No offense. But much of what is in Marvel and DC is poorly drawn. Many comic book artists are terrible. Some are amazing. But most have a strong inability to draw consistently, and a lack of understanding of body proportions.

Art is still subjective. Personally I like the artwork, even if I can see its influences.

No offense. But much of what is in Marvel and DC is poorly drawn. Many comic book artists are terrible. Some are amazing. But most have a strong inability to draw consistently, and a lack of understanding of body proportions.

Art is still subjective. Personally I like the artwork, even if I can see its influences.

Bad proportions? Never?
sncape.jpg

And check this thread out for some really bad copying. You can tell when he's not copying by how crappy the character looks.