Opeth - New album due out in June

Mikael is a talented enough musician that I'll always check out whatever he releases. However, since Opeth hasn't put out a truly great album since BWP, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Mikael is a talented enough musician that I'll always check out whatever he releases. However, since Opeth hasn't put out a truly great album since BWP, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Heritage is the ONLY bad album Opeth has put out

I thought Heritage was great at points, but some of the transitions were awkward also some of the production was kinda gross.
Overall though, I can listen to it from front to back without getting bored.
I like it about the same as Watershed.

Heritage is the ONLY bad album Opeth has put out

This is how I feel too, I did not really like Heritage. It is not because it was slower or had clean vocals, it is because it was so forgettable. I would put it on and start to enjoy it, but after a couple of songs it would just fade into the background. It was not bad, just kinda bland. I would usually turn the album off before it ended to listen to something else.

One of my best friends is the biggest Opeth fans you will ever find and he dislikes Heritage...

I always claim Opeth as my favorite band but hearing that this release is shaping up as Heritage part 2 was disappointing....

All clean vocals, a bit heavier than Heritage, but more melodies than Heritage.

I thought Heritage was awful, hopefully this is a step in the right direction.

All clean vocals again? Well that just dampened my excitement to near nothing. The only way all clean vox would be appealing is if it was of the same quality as Damnation, and I'm not getting my hopes up for that.

All clean vocals doesn't necessarily disappoint me at face value. Heritage was a poorly written wankfest - so as long as they focus on songs the vocals can be whatever they want them to be for all I care.

I've heard the new one described as "80s hard rock-sounding." If the last one was '70s prog, we have two more after this one to get back to 2000s style Opeth.

Opeth doing Y&T, Quiet Riot, AC/DC, Helix, Whitesnake, Motley Crue, Ratt and Van Halen etc I'm in :headbang:

Damnation.
I wouldn't call Damnation a great album. It has a couple of great tracks, but mostly feels uninspired. With both Deliverance and Damnation, it feels as if Mikael set out to create bookend albums, with no real passion for either. Which if you think about it, makes sense. Part of what made those early Opeth albums great, was the seamless blending of aggressive and melodic passages. To set a goal of separating your whole songwriting process into two equal halves seems like an odd approach. And for those of us hoping for 60 minutes of songs equal to Credence, Benighted and Face of Melinda, it was a mostly disappointing affair.

Part of what made those early Opeth albums great, was the seamless blending of aggressive and melodic passages.

This x 1 billion! This is exactly what made Opeth so great in the first place. This is also exactly why they have become an utter disappointment since Ghost Reveries IMO.

IMO there is only one moment of pure brilliance on Heritage,the 2 d half of Folklore,which is stunning in its beauty when the piano starts....

3 minutes of brilliance does not ever make for an entire CD when the rest is all blah...

now if they come up with an entire CD of songs like Porcelain Heart and Hex Omega I'm interested