Periphery gets props from Guitar Edge magazine

iekobrid

Authorized XSr™ Dealer
Feb 2, 2006
Doogie Howser, MD
" Hey Friends!

With the holiday season upon us, the Guitar Edge staff thought it would be appropriate to give the gift of guitar goodness. What is that, you ask? Guitar goodness involves an enormous selection of guitar tab, top artist interviews and more gear information than you can shake a stick at.

We hope you enjoy this week’s edition of Guitar Xtra. Also this week, we bring you an exclusive Guitar Edge video from Periphery — the band behind one of the most anticipated debut albums in a very long time. The guys run you through their amazing gear and show you why three guitarists are better than two.

\m/ Rock On!
-Guitar Edge[.com] "

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally, someone who realizes it's TC Electronic, not Electronics :D Cool vid, really interesting compressor/dual noise-gate setup - I never thought of it, but it seems to work great! Gotta say, Misha and Alex's tones both sound pretty scratchy to me (can't say about Jake, since he doesn't play solo'ed), though I'm guessing since this is from the camera mic it's hardly a fair way to judge it. And goddamn they're tight, seriously impressive :headbang:

I didn't really understand the compressor/dual noise gate thing. Anyone care to explain that? It sounds useful and maybe it's possible to set it up in your DAW with a few plugins! Seemed to work very well.

The idea is basically to make the dynamic range of the guitar signal smaller so the cutoff point of the noise gate can be set higher and faster without killing sustain, and it seems to work! However, they use the Axe-FX for recording, right? Am I the only one who thinks it's a little backwards to use a digital modeler for recording, and massive, complex, power-hungry, and probably less reliable tube/MIDI FX rigs for live playing? :confused:

No, I thought the very same thing. Seems entirely counter-intuitive, but perhaps it's about maintaining an image? Most of the guitarists I know with racks of that kind are trying to make a statement beyond just tone...

No, I thought the very same thing. Seems entirely counter-intuitive, but perhaps it's about maintaining an image? Most of the guitarists I know with racks of that kind are trying to make a statement beyond just tone...

Yep. Probably. Also it might be depending on the venues they play, with insufficient monitoring and such. Nice video though.

That's a hell of an investment for image, and if monitoring were a concern, they could always do the AxeFX-power amp-cab route...

Not to imply that they are undeserving, but what i thought when I watched the vid is "Money doesn't seem to be an issue for this band."

Haha, yeah, it's not only investment I was thinking of, but also the complexity and thus unreliability - but hey, I guess it clearly works for them!

It's not an image thing, it's a tone thing - they're recording the album an apt; I'm sure if they had the means to, they'd record the real rigs - they sound fucking MASSIVE live.

Not sure about the other guys, but I know Jake has a bit of a hookup at Mesa/Boogie, among other places, considering who his uncle is.