Poll: Would an Open Air Festival work in the USA?

Would an Open Air Metal Festival work in the USA?

• Yes.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • No.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I like nuts.

Votes: 12 21.8%

• Total voters

urinalcakemix

man who plays drum
Jun 7, 2003
Wallingford, CT
Visit site
With the recent threads comparing the metal scenes between the USA and Europe, and with Europe having significant summer festivals featuring 20-30 top metal bands, it makes me beg the question: Do you think an Open Air type Metal festival would work in America? I mean, we HAD Woodstock, and we HAVE Bonnaroo, and the bands that play Bonnaroo arent exactly platinum selling artists, but they get 80,000 people every year.

I think theres a chance it could work, but there'd have to be a LOT of bands, multiple days, and a lineup that surpassed Wacken. Location, timing and whatnot would be a concern, considering how big the US is.

So, lets discuss!

You mean have something like the USA Festival we used to do back in the early 80's??

It's an interesting question. I think your first problem becomes one of flying bands over to the states. If this is going to be Open Air, you'd most likely be holding it during the summer months. Most of the bands you'd want to perform, are from overseas. Airfare is very expensive to the US in the summer, as summer is the peak travel season. The cost in travel expenses alone, would be significantly larger than what the Wacken promoters have to shoulder. Second, many bands plan their tours around the many European summer festivals. So coordinating a trip to the US, that is not part of the tour, would create logistical issues for many bands.

All of that said, if you could guarentee a large crowd, I imagine there'd be a lot of interest from bands looking for exposure to the US audience.

Zod

Yes. If the proper bands were signed. Most of the Europe large fests sign a few 'pop' bands to bring in extra numbers. That can be done in the US as well. Ya know, just put the Rolling Stones on the roster >_>.

Maybe, but I don't think it will ever be the same as the European festivals. Having just been to my first, I was so surprised how different it was over there. Not nearly all the rules and regulations we're accustomed to and yet, everyone was really pretty damn well behaved. After seeing some of the bullshit antics people have done consistently at Ozzfest and Gigantour, I'm afraid too many people just don't have the right attitude here for typical European festival atmosphere. Not only that, the whole camping experience here doesn't seem to work. The last Woodstock was a debacle, (as was the first), with no water and facilities and everyone trying to make a buck off the captive audience. I was paying something like $4/beer at Sweden Rock. It's like $7 at the Art Center and $9 at B.B. Kings.

This country is too trendy to get a festival similar to Wacken or Bang Your Head with real Hard Rock and Metal. We get Ozzfest and Sounds of the Undeground, as far as big commercial ones, and more than half of those bands just yell and scream and couldn't play a guitar lead to save their lives.
Thats what we have to unfortunately deal with. Small festivals like ProgPower I wish could get to that type of level while keeping with the real talented bands. But like I said, commercially the radio and promoters choose not to recognize its importance. We are out numbered by the sheepeople.

So at this rate, when the European countries get all the true Metal festivals where the fans clearly come out in droves to see, why would bands come to the States over the summer when their bread n butter is elsewhere?
Maybe it would be feesible if several States had a festival, or there was two or three roaming tours that could hit several spots along the country.
like when they did the Monsters of Rock, in 88 I think?? or Clash of the Titans. Then it could be successful.

i really think there are enough traditional Heavy Metal fans in this country to pull off a successful festival. Problem is the majority need convincing, its the sheepeople syndrom. Thats why we had to deal with crap like Nirvana in the 90's and more imposters like Limp Dick, Korn and now System of a Down, or Linkin Log and noisey metalcore like As I Lay Dying, Black Dahlia Murder, etc.
Thats what the public was told is the new face of rock and not bands like Strato, Gamma Ray, Pagans Mind, Edguy, Brainstrom, Evergrey, Bodom, you know the drill.

Im sure if any of us on this forum had the money we would host a festival where you could see on the same stage from Maiden and Dio to Overkill and Destruction, to King Diamond and Witchery, Strato to Brainstorm, to Motley Crue Y&T and Whitesnake to Pagans Mind and Evergrey and everyone in between.

I think if the right people produced it and promoted it would work. You might have to think alittle out of the box to get it done, but i think it is well worth the thought and effort required to do it. With that said, someone mentioned that it would have to be in the summer months, that is not exactly true, if you had it in a state or town where the weather stays warm until later in the year. Ticket prices. Did you see the rice for OZZFEST??? Ridiculous!!!!!
Refreshment prices at some of the venues??? Again Ridiculous!!!!!! And the antics of the concert goers??? Well that is something that I for one am not in know of so i won't comment but i believe it can be controlled.

Case in point: In 1994 on the 25th anniversary of the first woodstock, here in El PASO, or more so Fort Bliss we had a concert featuring 4 bands BOC, Foreigner, Dobbie Brothers and Ted Nugent. Granted not big metal,but no the leass great bands, well it was planned for 5,000 people and 24,000 showed up, no problem the outdoor venue would hold about 40,000. The big problem was getting the extra beer and soda trucks there, but it was done. Price of the beer and sodas $1.00, tickets were $7.50, it was great and there were no problems and in fact they have one every year. Tickets today are $10.00 beer is now $2.00 and it averages 10,000 people every year.
Enough of my rambling, i just wanted to say YES it could be done.

Dragonforce right now is probably the largest selling metal act in the states... and here is what it was as of a few days ago:

In three weeks of release, the act's "Inhuman Rampage" has sold 23,000 units in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan, and rests at No. 7 on Billboard's Top Independent Albums chart.

This to just give an idea of 'fan bases'.

Without huge groups that would pull in older motorcycle metal fans (like adding Motley Crue, and such), it wouldn't work. But as I said, with the proper mix to get max pull of various genres of metal, it could. I doubt it could rely on the same lineups that some of the European fests have.

The only way it would work is to indeed book a band like Iron Maiden and then fill the roster up with a few other 80's metal bands. Only then could you add names from "our" music to fill out the roster such as Dream Theater, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Dimmu, Lacuna, and a few other crossovers.

The cost alone for a show like that could easily go over 1/2 millon because you are indeed competing with the Euro fests and having to pay the summer costs of travel. Hell, the insurance alone for this thing is something I couldn't afford.

Glenn H.

Harvester said:
The only way it would work is to indeed book a band like Iron Maiden and then fill the roster up with a few other 80's metal bands. Only then could you add names from "our" music to fill out the roster such as Dream Theater, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Dimmu, Lacuna, and a few other crossovers.

The cost alone for a show like that could easily go over 1/2 millon because you are indeed competing with the Euro fests and having to pay the summer costs of travel. Hell, the insurance alone for this thing is something I couldn't afford.

Glenn H.
I realize the headliners would have to be big names - such as Poison, Whitesnake, Priest, Maiden, and fill it out with quality bands, but it seems like thats what a few Euro festivals do - Graspop 2006 had GnR, Alice in Chains and Whitesnake as the big guns. If there was a way to get starting costs off the ground, it could have some great possibilities. With the power of the interenet, and forums and word of mouth, it would be possible to reach a LOT of people without sacrificing a LOT of time and money.

Harvester said:

A la Sweden Rock...

--Mike

Who pays for these? From a glance on the outside, it seems that they tend to have the money fronted by a major sponsor, and then many other corporate sponsors. Private investors doesn't seem very realstic.

Most of the Euro rock- and especially metal festivals aren't put up and organized by commercial promoters who only care for profits, but are founded and run by volunteer organizations of hundreds of dedicated fans who only wish to make the ends meet, not to get rich, that is the power behind the success.

For example a ticket to Wacken for 3 days is 70 euros and you'll get to see 55 bands, Tuska presented 32 bands in 3 days for 72 euros. both are run by local fans and only have a minimum numbrer of hired personnel.

People will come from quite far if they feel that they get a good roster for their money and don't get robbed with overpriced food drinks and merchandise.
At Tuska people are even allowed to bring their own drinks to the area, but still they sell alot of beer at bars, because not everyone bothers to carry their own in a rucksack. That freedom makes people relaxed and happy which makes Tuska the most peaceful festival in the country, says the police. Not a single fight in three days at the festival area in many years.

I agree totally with Glenn's two statements
1. You need the bankroll at the beginning to even start, why??? Up front money that has to be paid to not only the artists but to the venue or arena. Travel cost, lodging meals, backline costs, lighting, sound, rigging security, and so forth.

2. Insurance!!!!! It's insane the price of liability insurance. That is a big turn-off for something like this you maybe talking $100,000 or more just for a few days.

could it be done??? again yes it could with the right amount of up-front $$$$$.

All this talk of open air festivals makes me want to watch my Armegeddon Over Wacken Festival DVD. Think i'll watch it tonight with 5.1 CRANKED!! :)

Maybe they could do it with less bands... There is a fest going on in Brazil in october..Open air 25.000-30.000 expected...All but 3 bands (sepultura, Massacration and Mind Flow) are from Europe/USA... And Flying bands down there is even more expensive than flyng European bands to the US...

That's the line-up:

Sepultura
Stratovarius
Black Llabel Society
Saxon
After Forever
Nevermore
Primal Fear
Massacration
Gotthard
Mindflow

I know a line-up like that woudn't draw 25 thousand in the US.. But maybe add a headliner or 2 or 3 LOL ....