Power Metal is Cheesy? It's not the only one...

OrbWeaver

BECAUSE FALCONER
Jan 15, 2007
Illinois, USA
www.myspace.com

Candlemass - Bewitched.

Killer voice, killer solos, DANCING ZOMBIES!!! :lol::lol::lol: Let's not forget the vocallist and his amazing over-acting skills.

Any doom metal fan on this board is no longer allowed to scoff at power metal for being cheesy. This video is AMAZING in its cheese factor. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Every genre has their holier-than-thou attitude though. I will agree the power metal fans are more extreme. Look at the ProgPower board. After 10 minutes on that forum you want to kill some people. Every genre has it cheese factor. Watch most black metal vids. lets face it...our genre of music has lots to laugh at. Same goes with any type or style. Think what any average person who doesnt listen to metal would think by seeing photos of King Diamond, Running Wild, Alestorm, Turisas, Immortal, Manowar, and a zillion others. Then again....look at any rap act or country act or any popular rock act.

I think the difference is that even though those other genres (rap/country/pop) do some "silly" things - oversized bling or suped up SUVS, tall cowboy hats, whatever - it's still somewhat "acceptable" in pop culture so that removes the cheese to some degree. Go to work dressed like the guys in Manowar and talk about your Sword collection and your planned trip to Fairyland and it's hard for people to take that seriously.

Along this same line, I don't get why people - metal and mainstream - can enjoy the epic fantasy movies (LotR, Stardust, etc) but many don't appreciate the same themes/topics when put to music.

I love power metal...the cheesiness isn't what bothers me. It's the section of the fanbase with a holier-than-thou attitude that bothers me.

You beat me to it. I have all the Hammerfall cds, I can listen to Rhapsody all day and Manowar is one hell of a band and I don't care about all the "cheese" related to them. However certain types of people in the fanbase I can do without.

Every genre has their holier-than-thou attitude though. I will agree the power metal fans are more extreme. Look at the ProgPower board. After 10 minutes on that forum you want to kill some people. Every genre has it cheese factor. Watch most black metal vids. lets face it...our genre of music has lots to laugh at. Same goes with any type or style. Think what any average person who doesnt listen to metal would think by seeing photos of King Diamond, Running Wild, Alestorm, Turisas, Immortal, Manowar, and a zillion others. Then again....look at any rap act or country act or any popular rock act.

That's mostly the prog metal fans, not the power metal fans.

And the point of this thread wasn't to start an argument (though it seems people here will get their undies in a bundle over ANYTHING) but to enjoy dancing zombies of doom, and get a good laugh.

And poke a bit of fun. But apparently some people are over-sensitive.

It didn't seem - to me at least - that anyone was overly sensitive, just stating their opinions. I thought the point of any thread was to engender discussion on the topic at hand?

Either way, I did get a good laugh out of the video.