Progressive Rock Bands...

97reb said:
There was the Hawkwind Medley, I believe Hawkwind are considered prog. and technically Star One is probably Progmetal. AMG (AllMusicGuide) has Star One listed as Neo-Prog (whatever that is).

Never trust that infernal All Music Guide when it comes to metal or progressive music.

RENAISSANCE!!!!!!!
Annie Haslem has "the" most beautiful voice on the planet. Period.
....As far as everything else,
YES-Relayer,Close to the edge,Tales from Topographic Oceans,
Drama,Going for the One.
GENESIS-Nursery Cryme,Foxtrot,Trespass,The lamb lies down on
Broadway,Live:'73,A trick of the tail,Wind and Wuthering,
...And then there were three.
JETHRO TULL-Benefit,Aqualung,Thick as a brick,Warchild,Minstral in
the gallery,Songs from the wood,Stormwatch,A,Crest
of a knave,A passion play.
KANSAS-Kansas,Song for america,Masque,Leftoverture,Point of
know return,Two for the show,Monolith,Audio visions,
Vinyl confessions,Power,Freaks of nature,Somewhere
to elsewhere.
RENAISSANCE-Ashes are burning,A song for all seasons,Live at
Carnegie hall,Prologue,Turn of the cards,
Schehezerade and other stories.
RUSH and KING CRIMSON-......EVERYTHING!!!!!!

......That oughta be enough to get you started!!!!!!

NP: CaliforniaGuitarTio (w/Tony levin,Pat Mastelotto)-CTG3+2

interesting thread guys..

I'm not a huge prog fan (yet) but have been downloading some stuff based on what I've read here and other places. King Crimson.. Flower Kings.. just grabbed some Camel mp3s.. good shit all around.

is Crack The Sky considered prog? or more like classic rock? I can never find any of their albums any damn place, but kazaa always seems to have a ton of their mp3s. I'm not sure how widely known they are, they're sort of a semi-local band -- from PA somewhere, but got "adopted" by a Baltimore radio station back in the 70s, and they have a decent fan base here.

My favourite Yes album is not Close to the Edge, it's Fragile.

THATS a fucking masterpiece!! Have you heard the song Roundabout!!?? OMG DROOL DROOL!

Static said:
My favourite Yes album is not Close to the Edge, it's Fragile.

THATS a fucking masterpiece!! Have you heard the song Roundabout!!?? OMG DROOL DROOL!
True, "Fragile" is the one that put YES on the map.
But if you want sheer technical brilliance, then you need to hear
"Relayer".
"The Gates of Delirium" is the greatest 24 minutes ever put to tape!!!!!!
Buy this album now, or forever dwell in Prog purgatory.
Cheers!

NP: RUSH-Vapor Trails :headbang:

Ahhh, yes, Gates Of Delirium is bloody brilliant as well!!! Arghh it's hard to choose...but I'm still sticking with Fragile. Replayer hasn't aged so well IMO, and the production and songs are slightly messier...

Static said:
Ahhh, yes, Gates Of Delirium is bloody brilliant as well!!! Arghh it's hard to choose...but I'm still sticking with Fragile. Replayer hasn't aged so well IMO, and the production and songs are slightly messier...
I can respect that. I started listening to YES in 1983 when I was 12
and I was convinced 90125 was the greatest thing...Boy, was I wrong!!!
I guess, over time, your opinion changes as you get "older".
I've also seen them (RUSH and Iron Maiden) more than a dozen times in the last 20 years and they always continue to amaze me every time.

NP: PRIMUS-Frizzle fry

Reactions: 97reb
Well i've only heard Fragile and Close To The Edge, Close To The Edge is definitely the better of the two. I will be purchasing Relayer soon, I have heard many great things about it.

@CliffEmAll - seeing as you are in Charlotte and I am too, and you are on this board and talking about prog music... do you play an instrument (in a band?) or just a fan of the music. I'd like to find some people to jam with. I play guitar, sing, write songs, mess around with bass and keyboards, and I've had some music theory and lessons on guitar.

Has anyone there watched the DVD Yes Symphonic Live???
And from the prog bands I've listened so far (which are not that much... i'm still a beginner) Yes is without a doubt the most opulent! I've never seen such brightness and such variety of colors and textures in popular music (non-classical). I'm always trying to listen to other bands though, hoping to find one that would surpass my YES.

BTW: EVERYONE please do yourselves a favor. Listen to the Concierto de Aranjuez by Joaquin Rodrigo!!!!! It brings one to tears!!!! It's the most beautiful piece of acoustic guitar with orchestra in the fucking world. I beg for a better one, if one can tell me!

@ Bleakest Harvest - I agree Damnation is quite good, I only hope they don't alienate some die hard fans with it. I personally prefer their clean vocals, although, dudes' CMV (cookie monster vocals) are better than anyone elses.

I dont give a shite who they alienate, alien the twatty 'die hards' all they like. I would have considered myself a diehard before hearing this, but its simply too good to dismiss.

I hope someone here has it, or at least listened to it...
icon_wink.gif

Anyway... I'm rather new with vinyl. I just started collecting and this is one of the vinyl's I picked up so far.

I have listened to it a few times and on a few occassions it seems as though the music skips or jumps a little. I'm not sure if this is just because the head goes over some of the 'tracks' in the vinyl or if the music was recorded with odd beats here and there?

there are no visible scratches or anything. There is something that seems like a smudge though. It's very faint and can only be really distinguished when the proper amount of light hits it. I'm not sure as to what degree a smudge or a scratch will effect a vinyl. How much can a vinyl take as far as say, a fingerprint, or finger smudge or something?

any help or advice will be greatly appreciated...

cheers

Hey Sengir,
That YESsymphonic is "the" greatest purchase you
will ever make.
I saw them on that tour in Atlanta where they were actually going to shoot that DVD (I have a letter from the venue to prove it too!). The sound at Chastain park ampitheatre was too open. No acoustics whatsoever, so the shoot took place in Amsterdam. Considering the results, I'd say they (YES) made a wise decision.
Long live YES....The KINGS of progressive music!!!!!

NP: Spock's Beard- Snow

CliffEmAll said:
Hey Sengir,
Long live YES....The KINGS of progressive music!!!!!

NP: Spock's Beard- Snow

Go listen to 90125 and on... :devil:

I still think King Crimson takes that crown.

And I heartily recommend Renaissance - despite the fact Annie Haslam doesn't have the BEST female vocals ever (that award goes to Anneke of the Gathering).