Psychotic Waltz: The Forgotten Heros of Progressive Metal?

Metal Immortal

Guardian of the Blind
Feb 11, 2004
Ohio
www.pxiii.com
For those of you who don't know about Psychotic Waltz, all I have to say is "What the hells the matter with you?!" For those of you who do know about Psychotic Waltz, let me shake your hand. We Psychotic Waltz fans are few, and it is a sad thing.

Here's a link that has some of their songs on it. It’s called Dave’s Progressive Metal Pages. I don’t know who the hell Dave is, but I would kiss his feet for making this website. After I sorted out the good bands from the bad ones on that site, I looked into Psychotic Waltz in particular. They were like nothing I had ever heard. They are progressive, but not like Symphony X or Fates Warning. They are more… like Tool, but with more talent.

They have four albums. A Social Grace, Into the Everflow, Mosquito, and Bleeding. A Social Grace or Into the Everflow is my favorite. I can’t decide. I suggest you look into buying one of these today. Like, NOW! Listen to Another Prophet song, and if you can give me one reason for why it sucks, then I will give you a meddel.

I don’t want to press my beliefs on anyone, but seriously. My collection is way better than yours because I have Psychotic Waltz and you don’t. HAHAAHA.

Enjoy that link my sons of Odin. :headbang:

mOSQUITO.gif

Oh dude. This is a picture of the Psychotic Waltz Mosquito owning Linkin Park.

I like Psychotic Waltz.....i got the album Bleeding back in 97 and then worked my way backwards...For its time A Social Grace was really technical. They actually have more than 4 albums...Dark Millenium is another one that has live tracks and covers (Sabbath's 'Disturbing the Priest' and Ozzy's 'Diary of a Madman) and other stuff on it too....and recently i got my hands on a copy of The Strange Mind of Buddy Lackey (singers solo album)...great voice....can't wait for my copy of The January Tree to show up in the mail dammit.

I suggest you look into buying one of these today. Like, NOW! Listen to Another Prophet song, and if you can give me one reason for why it sucks, then I will give you a meddel.

Yeah...they have just all been rereleased with bonus shit

I don’t want to press my beliefs on anyone, but seriously. My collection is way better than yours because I have Psychotic Waltz and you don’t. HAHAAHA.

maybe not :)

I just ordered the repackaged Psychotic Waltz catalogue... 2 albums in each package with additional stuff like demos and dvds. Can't wait to get them!

What I've heard of the band is quite awesome... and they definately seem to be one of those criminally underappreciated trailblazers.

I have all 3 Dead Soul Tribe albums... which are great.

I'd really like to hear "The Strange Mind of Buddy Lackey".

btw... i own albums from all 10 bands featured on Dave's page... and I'd like to give the highest recommendation to Madsword. Their album is nothing short of brilliant.

I love the album Bleeding. I then worked my way backwards as well. I only have cdr's of the first 3, but I will pick up the new versions also. Question, was Devon on all 4 of those albums?

The January Tree should get here any day now....

I got both of the box sets. The dvd is worth having just for the two music videos on it. It may be obvious that they had a small budget, but it still rules.

Their cover of Disturbing the Priest is awesome. It's a bonus track on the Into the Everflow disc.

It's funny, I'd never heard of PW until Dead Soul Tribe came along..I wondered who the hell these guys were, come out of nowhere to kick my ass..come to find out they hadn't actually come out of nowhere..hehe.

Thanks for recommending them, they sound awesome.
I understand your frustration about them being so unknown.
Their rythm section & rythm guitars reminds me often of DHiaDW- Nevermore.

Metal Immortal said:
For those of you who don't know about Psychotic Waltz, all I have to say is "What the hells the matter with you?!"
I don’t know who the hell Dave is
1) What the hell's the matter with me?
2) Who is this Dave guy?
3) Now I have to check out Madsword. :headbang:

It was a hasty comparison, but I do believe that if you like one, you'll like the other.

I need to pick up some Dead Soul Tribe. I didn't hear about them until after I heard of PW.

Their sole full-length album The Global Village is excellent, but it's becoming hard to find these days...I had heard of PW before Dead Soul Tribe, but didn't own anything by them...took me repeated listens to be converted by both bands.

I'm currently getting into Psychotic Waltz (one of the coolest band names ever), I guess. What I really like about them is that their songs rather feel like chapters of a bigger unit. "Into the Everflow" is damn weird, but fascinating, and I'm really interested in the album now... like when you want to know how the story progresses in a book.