Resurrected Power Metal Thread

Jag Panzer - Ample Destruction
Sanctuary - Refuge Denied
Liege Lord - Burn to My Touch
Crimson Glory - Crimson Glory

Yeah, all good bands. What I really like about Helstar (particularly Nosferatu) is the neo-classical elements mixed in with the speed metal, though. Kinda like a more straightforward version of Symphony X with the cheese scraped free.

What are some bands that are 'traditional' metal influenced power metal? For example, i put Hammerfall in this category. I'm not too familiar with Primal Fear, but some of what I've heard sounds like this too.

Just listened to the new Hammerfall, and that shit is fucking good, Almost like a return to form for them. I was thoroughly impressed with it.

Good power metal is seriously hard to come by nowadays, I feel like. So much of it is shit.

I feel like a lot of classic power metal bands took shitty nosedives. I'm a huge fan of older Kamelot, basically Fourth Legacy through Black Halo. Then they released Ghost Opera, and since then... fucking hell, I don't know.

Shit, this new Dark Forest is really good. Thanks man.

Just thinking about what a fucking tragedy it is that Isen Torr never released a full-length. They have an aesthetic that tends more toward trad than typical power metal, but there's some crossover. Their EP was the fucking shit, really wished they would have recorded more.

Man I feel old, this came out in '04.

I can't find anything fucking worth listening to in this genre anymore. I'm so obsessed with death metal right now anyway, I just don't have the urge to hunt for new bands. Seems like most new PM bands sound exactly the same. I do love Cain's Offering and find them better than Strato on every level. Timo should just focus on that full time. Both albums are so good.

...as it seems to have died and I feel like there's not enough love for power metal on this forum.

So, anyone heard the new Firewind yet?
I thought it was pretty average. A couple memorable songs (Mercenary Man, Angels Forgive Me, My Loneliness), a lot of filler. Lack of memorable riffs and choruses. Great solos. The bonus track is a cover of Maniac (from wherever it's from, everyone will recognize it as "that song that that asshole wouldn't stop humming"), and is somewhat out of place but cool.

My unofficial review. Other opinions?

Listenable genre and quite interesting though not really my bag. The high-pitched and falsetto vocals don't help.

Fuck, I am hooked on Dark Forest's newest; gotta give props to CIG for that one. Been listening to it everyday, and it got me through my 5K yesterday, haha.

As far as more well-produced bands, the only ones I still keep up with are Keldian and Orden Ogan. I know that Keldian doesn't find much love here, but I think their songwriting is killer:

EDIT:

this korean EP rules.

Shit, this does indeed sound good. Wasn't expecting those vocals, but they aren't bad...

Reactions: CiG