Review: Nevermore + Evergrey @ Jaxx

I love Loreena Mckennit. My favorite is probably Lady of Shalott. But I haven't heard tons of her stuff, though just saw that some of her albums are on Rhapsody. Sorry for the distraction from the thread topic >_>

p.s. Heather Dale is another amazing singer.

General Zod said:
And in case anyone is curious (probably not) the intro music Nevermore played was "The Mystic's Dream" by Loreena McKennitt, off the CD "The Mask and the Mirror". It's a brilliant piece of music and my favorite song by her.

Yeah, that flipped me out - great choice for an intro.

It was a pleasure meeting you, and I'm buying you a beer in Atlanta. ;)

Got this from another froum...it looks accurate to my memory.

Evergrey Setlist:
Blinded
End of Your Days
Rulers of the Mind
She Speaks To The Dead
More Than Ever
Obedience
As I Lie Here Bleeding
I'm Sorry
Still In The Water
Monday Morning Apocalypse
The Masterplan
When The Walls Go Down
Recreation Day
A Touch of Blessing
Mark of the Triangle

General Zod said:
First off, a big thanks to eaeolian (Mike of Division) for getting us tickets. While I was a bit too busy socializing, I did have a chance to catch some of Division’s set. They had excellent energy and a tight sound. They impressed me enough that I’ll be checking out more of them in the future.
Thanks very much. I thought it was a pretty good show from us - and then we got absolutely hammered by the headliner!

General Zod said:
Although he had to pull out of the In Flames tour, due to health issues, Jim Sheppard flew in specially to perform this show. I’m not sure if that alone drove Nevermore to up the ante or if it was the energy of the sold out crowd, but Nevermore’s set was just stunning.
Esepcially so given tha Jim hasn't been playing much, so he was rehearsing the songs with a discman beside the stage while Evergrey was playing. His performance was all the more impressive for that...

General Zod said:
Chris is a sensational guitar player and has great energy on stage. And it’s clear to see, he loves playing with Nevermore. The minute and a half that he and Loomis traded licks, was priceless.
That was worth the price of admission alone. Ending with that lick from Malmsteen's "Jet to Jet" solo - which is a b*tch to play by yourself - was just ridiculous.

General Zod said:
Mike (eaeolian) had commented earlier, that it would be interesting to see how Van held up, given that extended sets are hardest on drummers. Suffice it to say, Van was up to the challenge. The man is half beast, half drum machine.
You aren't kidding. He's the engine that drives the band, and he was completely on, other than dropping about four sticks during "Final Product".

As I said before - a pleasure to meet you, and thanks for the beer!

This was certainly the best show I'd seen from Nevermore since the first time I saw them on "Politics", and possibly even better than that. I enjoyed Evergrey, but they were a tad sloppy, and Henrik's (understandable) frustration at his technical issues seemed to be a distraction, as well.

TheWhisper said:
Got this from another froum...it looks accurate to my memory.

Evergrey Setlist:
Blinded
End of Your Days
Rulers of the Mind
She Speaks To The Dead
More Than Ever
Obedience
As I Lie Here Bleeding
I'm Sorry
Still In The Water
Monday Morning Apocalypse
The Masterplan
When The Walls Go Down
Recreation Day
A Touch of Blessing
Mark of the Triangle

That's what I remember. A pleasure meeting you, although I was pretty brain-fried by that point in the show. (Still sober, though. ;) )

eaeolian said:
Thanks very much. I thought it was a pretty good show from us - and then we got absolutely hammered by the headliner!
There's no shame in being out done by Nevermore. And on the bright side, you blew away Evergrey.

eaeolian said:
Esepcially so given tha Jim hasn't been playing much, so he was rehearsing the songs with a discman beside the stage while Evergrey was playing. His performance was all the more impressive for that...
Cool to know.

eaeolian said:
You aren't kidding. He's the engine that drives the band, and he was completely on, other than dropping about four sticks during "Final Product".
Yeah... you can't be a great live band, without a great live drummer.

eaeolian As I said before - a pleasure to meet you said:
My pleasure.

eaeolian said:
I enjoyed Evergrey, but they were a tad sloppy, and Henrik's (understandable) frustration at his technical issues seemed to be a distraction, as well.
I'd say "a tad" is overly generous. But hey, you have to work with these guys again. And I can understand him being frustrated with those problems, as they were somewhat obvious. But the guy is a pro and a talented musician, he's got to work past it.

Zod

Harvester said:
2. They will be sober for their performance (as I will be taking up their slack).

Glenn H.

Glenn - I have no doubt you will take up the alcohol slack!! :) (I saw you at WOMD!!!!:loco:) Several people said this is the rule, not the exception with Evergrey. I know you write the checks, but have they guaranteed you their sobriety?? For the show only, NOT after - no one would ask that!!

Peace,
Chris :headbang:

I know I've said it a million times already but it was an absolutely amazing show. I thought Evergrey sounded great, and minus the sound problems and fuck up with Rulers of the Mind, I have no complaints. I can't wait to see them in the Progpower atmosphere, considering the marriage between the band and the festival, haha! Nevermore was fantastic, as expected. It was great to finally see them headline after all these years (4th time's a charm, eh?); And then having Jim play bass for the majority of the show (Macdonough came on for Dead Heart), and Chris Broderick performing (That axe-battle was UNBELIEVABLE!), it will be a long time before this night is topped. Cheers, everyone!! :)

FataMorgana said:
He posts on the EG forum...he posted a video clip of him proposing on stage. :)

Stacy

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/member.php?u=46205

Oh well. I guess he probably doesn't need mine. I'm sure if he was the kind of guy to arrange to propose on stage with Evergrey, then he was the kind of guy who could get someone to video tape it. Cheers to the happy couple! :kickass:

Evergrey on a sloppy night is still better live than a LOT of bands. And it was the best of the Jaxx shows I've seen, for sure...

It was great to see my usual cohorts, and meet some new ones too. :D

Oh, and I noticed the Loreena McKennitt intro too - and didn't bat an eyelash for some reason. Why I *wasn't* surprised to hear Loreena as an intro to Nevermore, I don't know....

I'm partial to The Highwayman, myself. :p

jaimek said:
Evergrey on a sloppy night is still better live than a LOT of bands. And it was the best of the Jaxx shows I've seen, for sure...

It was great to see my usual cohorts, and meet some new ones too. :D

Hell, yeah! I really had no complaints about the Everygrey set. I was just fucking amazed to see them. So they were a little trashed, oh well. I'm glad they had a good time and played an awesome set, dispite the few minor fuck-ups. I mean Nevermore was tripping over each other on stage, so what are you going to do. Like you said, Evergrey on a sloppy night is still better than a lot of other bands. Not the best Jaxx show I've seen - that would probably have to be Sonata Arctica - but still a great one!
Either way, I'll have the chance to see Evergrey sober and at the top of their game at ProgPower. I have Glenn's word. Rock on! :headbang:

I am not the biggest Evergrey fan, but I saw them once opening for Iced Earth. They seem to be an extremely professional band. Have they previously had issues with not being sober when playing?

Jasonic said:
I am not the biggest Evergrey fan, but I saw them once opening for Iced Earth. They seem to be an extremely professional band. Have they previously had issues with not being sober when playing?
Nope. This was the 5th time I've seen them, and they were dead on each of the previous times. They're usually an excellent live band.

Zod

General Zod said:
Nope. This was the 5th time I've seen them, and they were dead on each of the previous times. They're usually an excellent live band.

Zod

Hmmmm...I didnt really get that they were drunk during their performance. I spoke with them after their set and they didn't seem drunk then and I have drank with them plenty of times. I did, however, witness Tom having to share about 12 shots (in as many minutes) that fans insisted on buying and drinking with him after their set. You could tell he really didn't want to drink or dissappoint his fans. They are all VERY excited about PP...so there shouldn't be any worries there. ;)

Oh well. I enjoyed it.

Joel-RZ said:
Hmmmm...I didnt really get that they were drunk during their performance. I spoke with them after their set and they didn't seem drunk then and I have drank with them plenty of times.
It's possible I'm wrong (wouldn't be the 1st time). In my original post, I suggested that they might have been drunk and asked if any of the other folks in attendance knew for sure. At least one person commented that they were in fact drunk. As I said, mine was merely a suposition based on the fact that they sounded sloppy, Tom forgot whole verses, their energy level was low, and if simply you looked at the way they were holding themselves, they looked drunk. At least that was the assessment of those in my group.

Zod

Apparently you're among the people I missed seeing, Joel. :p

I will agree that it was a very low-energy set, but Tom looked TIRED more than anything, even before people started feeding him alcohol.