Riverside Discussion

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
I thought I would do something a bit different and dedicate a specific thread to each band and sticky it for a bit. This will give those that are unfamilar with the band a chance to read other's thoughts, ask questions, etc. instead of digging through a huge amount of threads at the moment.

Great idea, and a good band to start with. I am really not at all familiar with Riverside so any insight by anyone into this band and their music is appreciated. I do want to hear them, and i think they are an awesome pick for PP not only due to their sales figures but also to their appeal to allot of my friends here on the PP forum.

Well, since they're one of my favorite bands I thought I would give some input here. 'Out of Myself' is the first album I heard from these guys and I still think it's the best place to start for those new to the band. It will give you an idea of what Riverside is all about and has some of my favorite tracks such as "The Curtain Falls" on it. 'Second Life Syndrome' comes next, and is easily my favorite offering from these guys. Heavier than the predecessor, more varied, and with a myriad of standout tracks such as "Volte-Face", "Dance With the Shadow", and "Second Life Syndrome". The latest outing, 'Rapid Eye Movement', is somewhere on par with 'Out of Myself' in my opinion, but maybe not quite at the same level. It is however an excellent album and shows the more psychedelic tendencies of the band. My favorites on this one are "Parasomnia", Schizophrenic Prayer", and "Cybernetic Pillow".

You really can't go wrong with any of these three albums though, just an amazing band, through and through.

l'm curious to see how they go over. They definitely have some "lighter' material than would be expected at PP. But heavier stuff does exist within their repertoire. Riverside & Andromeda will seriously be holding the "prog" torch.

Riverside is one of my favorite prog-rock bands, as is Porcupine Tree. To me, Riverside sounds like they have been influenced a great deal by Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Tool, Muse, and classic prog-rock bands. Yet they have their own style. I love all their albums, and they can rock out fully, and change to mellow and ambient on a dime. They are a very cool band. :headbang:

The bass player/singer is awesome, and plays and sings well. The guitar player is godly. The drummer is precise yet funky, and the keyboard player (second one?) does a nice atmospheric job. The whole band is top notch.

So, for me, Riverside injects a lot of real Prog into ProgPower. I eagerly look forward to seeing them live at PP 9. Great job Glenn!! :kickass:

The new album is a fantastic progression for them and I'm enjoying it immensely. That said, it will be interesting to see how the material translates into the live realm. Given where they're currenly slotted, I think it could be a great change of pace type set and since they are extremely over with a large number of the PP crowd, the atmosphere should be off the charts. Looking forward to it if I can make it out.

Jason

Riverside is great. Glad to see a Polish band in the mix. There are a lot of cool bands out of Poland.

When they break into 'Concieving You' at PPIX I'm gonna shit my pants!!! :D

I've been boning up on the 3 bands that I didn't really know much about (Elvenking, Volbeat, and Riverside), and I am hooked on Riverside. I totally dig their sound, although I'm not into any of the other bands that get spouted as Riverside's influences (Porc Tree, Tool, Opeth, etc).

I ordered the new album from The End a few days ago...very much looking forward to their set. Even though I have a feeling it will be a bit laidback, it will be nice to get into some serious prog at the festival.

An interesting choice for a slot...I have a feeling that Glenn took a chance based on the forum members who were "the squeaky wheel".

New fan here...

Rock on!

:err:

Im afraid to check Riverside out because so many people love them. I don't wanna be that one person that comes on here saying "I don't get it" or "I didn't really like it". Can someone aim me towards the heaviest thing (in progressive terms) they can dish out before I try looking for myself?

Im afraid to check Riverside out because so many people love them. I don't wanna be that one person that comes on here saying "I don't get it" or "I didn't really like it". Can someone aim me towards the heaviest thing (in progressive terms) they can dish out before I try looking for myself?

There are no cookie vox on the albums, if that is what you mean...

Check this video, it is the "hardest" one I saw after a 5 second search on utube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIgJJwox8iA&mode=related&search=riverside%20mega%20katowice

Coward.

I'm one of those guys who hadn't heard of any of the bands lined up for IX (except for Jon)... but I kinda like the appeal and hunt for discovering the new bands. With that said, I am really digging Riverside. They've quickly catapulted to the top of my "must see" list.

Admittedly, I am new to PP for VIII, but frankly was "bewildered" at why the fest is called ProgPower when I heard so little prog being performed. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it immensely - so much so that I am now a die-hard and have already reserved my hotel for next year - but with Andromeda, Pathosray and now Riverside, I think the "ProgPower" monicker makes a little more sense

Martin

Well last year there was Threshold, and Redemption as the main prog bands (and at times Communic, and I'll say AF is proggish due to the compositions, but maybe the overal sound doesn't make people think prog). I've always considered Virgin Steele to have their progressiveness as well.