SABATON....Holy Sh*t!

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
Our favorite Swedish war metallers have had some tribulations over the past month or two, for sure. Before their lineup changes, I posted a topic about my skepticism toward a Swedish language album...which they've decided to do in English as well. All of that aside, every bit of doubt I had about this group of Swedes (or Joakim and Par at this point) is GONE! These dudes fucking ripped us to shreds in Kansas City last night!

I'll also say this: a local band called Alsatia opened the show. They were fantastic. A band from the midwest that sounds like Sonata Arctica in their prime? YES PLEASE! They have an album coming out in the summer; I expect it to make a splash.

Ancient Creation, another power metal band from KC played quite well also, with a nice mix of songs from their three albums.

But it was all about Sabaton last night. Sadly, I'd say 100 or fewer people were actually at the show. It was a small crowd. You would not have believed it was that small by the reception we gave Sabaton. And their performanced matched every bit of energy the small crowd had.

They pounded through catchy hit after catchy hit: Ghost Division, 40:1, Price of a Mile, Midway ("we wrote this one about you guys!"), etc etc. And in between just about every song, a thunderous "Sabaton! Sabaton!" chant erupted from all the crowd. It was amazing to see the band so taken aback by how loud such a small crowd could be. Joakim even said we were louder than a crowd three times our size. But the band were awesome...every bit as energetic as they were at ProgPower, and dude didn't even rip his pants!

So yeah, go to this tour...they're gonna blow your mind...again. The new dudes learned the entire set in three weeks, so they received my high praise post show for how well they performed. The new songs sound awesome too! :headbang:

Glad you enjoyed the show! I've only seen them twice but everything you said about them holds true at those two shows I saw. They are fireballs of energy on stage and probably the most appreciative band I've ever seen. There could be 10 people in the crowd and they still would be thanking everyone over and over.
I'm still pissed about the Tampa show being cancelled. If anyone hears of a rescheduled date, please post here.

Even though there was a small crowd at the opening date in San Antonio,they kicked major ass, and the new guys played spot on. So they didn't miss a beat by bringing in new members. Anyone who has a chance to see them or has been hesitant because of the new line-up, owe it to yourself to not miss this tour.. \m/ \m/

I echo William's review. Another awesome display of power by the almighty Sabaton. They left us all in a sweaty heap, but I now have a souvenir pair of Joakim's trademark sunglasses that I caught from him....nice!

but I now have a souvenir pair of Joakim's trademark sunglasses that I caught from him....nice!

Hold on to those - my son will wear his pair to bed at least once a week.

I hate that they are not coming to Atlanta, but I console myself by thinking it is just one more city that gets to see them for the first time.

I saw them on Wednesday, it was fantastic. They TORE the place up, shortest 90 minutes of my life. It looked like one of the longest for Joakim though, he wasn't used to the Denver altitude and looked like he was ready to pass out by the time Metal Crue came up! :lol: I'm so pumped they played "Price of a Mile", they hadn't played it on either of their previous tours, and it's one of my all-time favorites! Anybody who has a chance to see this show further down the line, DO IT!