Similar?

TaKen

Der Meister
Dec 16, 2003
texas
www.myspace.com
I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I'm looking for more melodic death bands. My favorite bands are Kalmah, Dark Tranquillity, Darkest hour. I know of the big names, Amon Amarth and In Flames and such, but are there other great ones that aren't too heard of? Thanx

Well, good old Children of Bodom, Soilwork, Skyfire, Suidakra, Norther, Insomnium, Eternal Tears of Sorrow and many many more. There are some start with!

Infernium pretty much nailed the best ones.

Arch Enemy is pretty good, Mors Principium Est is worth a look and so is The Wake. Dimension Zero is pretty good too.

Ensiferum is a little different, in that they play folk-metal, but they are definitely incredible. Sinergy is another good one.

Did you know of these bands?

Embraced (Not THE Embraced, thought both bands are melodeath. Embraced has loads of pianos and keyboards in their songs)
Enter My Silence (Finnish melodeath, only one album)
Disarmonia Mundi (The new record is amazing, sounds a lot like Soilwork, but it's ten times better)
Centinex (It's more like death metal, but the new stuff has some melodies also)
Dissection (I think this is a well-known band. If you liked early In Flames, you'll love this stuff)
The Duskfall (Mediocre melodeath, pretty well-known also me thinks...)

Some more bands to try out:

Elenium (progressive melodic death)
Omnium Gatherum
Imperanon (very COB-like)

Try Immortal Souls too they're pretty good.

If you're into ultra heavy death metal you might wanna check out Crimson Thorn.

Probably have already heard of some / most of these, but they're worth checking out.

Amaran
Catamenia (black metal)
Divine Souls
Edge Of Sanity
Eucharist
Gates Of Ishtar (basically pre-The Duskfall)
Ebony Tears
Hatesphere
Julie Laughs Nomore
Lothlorien (be careful there are like 3 different bands that have this name, this one is from Sweden, they have one album "The Primal Event")
Mithotyn
Nightrage
October Tide
Quo Vadis (Quebec)
Sacrilege
Sins Of Omission
Stormlord
Terror 2000
The Crown
The Everdawn
Theory In Practice
This Illusion
Throne Of Chaos (Menace And Prayer specifically)
Vehemence (melodic brutal death metal)
Violation
Watch Me Fall
Within Y

Cephalion said:
Omnium Gatherum

I was gonna say that! One of my favorites.

Arsis
Omnium Gatherum
Insomnium
Disarmonia Mundi
Disillusion
Ablaze My Sorrow
Etheral Collapse
Infernal Method
Symbyosis

Enmity said:
Probably have already heard of some / most of these, but they're worth checking out.

Amaran
Catamenia (black metal)
Divine Souls
Edge Of Sanity
Eucharist
Gates Of Ishtar (basically pre-The Duskfall)
Ebony Tears
Hatesphere
Julie Laughs Nomore
Lothlorien (be careful there are like 3 different bands that have this name, this one is from Sweden, they have one album "The Primal Event")
Mithotyn
Nightrage
October Tide
Quo Vadis (Quebec)
Sacrilege
Sins Of Omission
Stormlord
Terror 2000
The Crown
The Everdawn
Theory In Practice
This Illusion
Throne Of Chaos (Menace And Prayer specifically)
Vehemence (melodic brutal death metal)
Violation
Watch Me Fall
Within Y

Not to be picky, but isnt Theory in Practice technical death?

Arise
At the Gates
Augury
Before the Dawn
Beyond the Embrace
Blood Stain Child
Callenish Circle
Construcdead
Darkane
Dark Age
Daysend
The Defaced
Enforsaken
Esertor
Eventide
Fallen Angels
Furia
Gardenian
Hypocrisy
Into Eternity
Source
Summer Dying
Thornado

I haven't listened to all of them, so I can't confirm some of them but most are definately melodic death or melodic black.

J Mann said:
Not to be picky, but isnt Theory in Practice technical death?

:)

They are, but I think that their style would appeal to people who like melodic death, their songs are technical, but they do have some very melodic passages. There are a lot of bands on that list that aren't melodic death but I think that they have elements that are shared with melodic death metal bands. I like the melodic death style so I figured I'd throw out bands that appeal to me and are similar (in one way or another).

Have you ever wondered why so many metal bands have so unimaginative names? Just check it out:

InsomniUM
EleniUM
OmniUM GatherUM
EnsiferUM
SilentiUM
Mors PrincipiUM Est

There must many other similar names as well, but I can only recall those. Come on, don't these latin names start to resemble each other a bit too much? :p