Songs of Moors and Misty Fields

Tenhi is more towards shamanic/ethnic music and there are elements of world music too, their songs are very layered and soothing. I'd go for "Kauan" first as well if I were you, it's the one with the most folkish undertones. Also Tenhi has the best vocals in the field of wintry acoustics, their stage chorals have blown me away.

Tenhi are good, though I don't think much of Vare, but I like their debut. I think I used to like Kauan a lot more than I do now though, because I put it on recently and it didn't do much for me, though that could just be down to my mood of late.

As for Naervaer, they play some pretty weird stuff. I can't normally be bothered with music that is too experimental and out there, but this band do have some fantastic songs. The song "En Som..." of their debut 7" is one of my very favourite songs ever actually.

Dark One said:
I cannot believe I have yet to experience this album. It's just one of those releases I always meant to check out but just got lost in the neverending shuffle of recommendations.

Buy it blind. I guarantee it.

Ellestin said:
Tenhi is more towards shamanic/ethnic music and there are elements of world music too, their songs are very layered and soothing.

Yeah, it's too much on Vare for my liking. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that album in a health spa or yoga session.

I'd go for "Kauan" first...

Spot on.

Oh and don't forget the phenomenal EP, "Airut:Ciwi". Simply stunning, that is. No other band has made the digeridoo sound so f'ing haunting. Listen to it in pitch blackness.

J if you are not convinced by this album yet, just put on "Mourners", my favourite song on the album (and of all time). Specifically, wait for the section from 6:02 to around 7:54. This includes the build up to what is the most heart wrenching guitar solo I've ever heard. I've heard this song hundreds of times, and that solo still brings a tear to my eye.

Doom said:
J if you are not convinced by this album yet, just put on "Mourners", my favourite song on the album (and of all time). Specifically, wait for the section from 6:02 to around 7:54.

Oh shit, I should really go to bed now, but I have to check this back first :p

you know some other great autumnal bands?

pearl jam
swans

in fact those are probably my two favorites for this time of year, along with agalloch of course. yeah i know i'm alone. :loco:

Songs Of Moors is essential listening, The Mantle may hold dominion over autumnal metal and will be in my top five albums for eternity, but even its most haunting moments are rivaled by the impossibly beautiful moments throughout Empyrium's masterwork...

Somehow I haven't got any Agalloch, heard some songs and wasn't interested, maybe I should check them again.

If J. is interested about Tenhi, get Kauan, that's a really great album. Väre has good stuff on it, but also some world music-elements, that I didn't care for. I can't wait the demo re-release they'll make later this year (or maybe early next, I can't remember) and of course the album too.

MFJ said:
Quite true.

Where at Night
Songs
Weiland
Wintersunset

See, I separate "Where at Night..." and "Weiland" away from the pack, but even between those two, I HAVE to go with "Weiland".

Why?

One word: "Waldpoesie".

I'm with jaykeely on this. Waldpoesie is pure greatness, i could die during that song and it would be a great way to go. Empyrium had everything going on that album. weiland > at night > songs > winter.