SSD starts delayed, everytime!

AboutBlank

Nov 27, 2009
Berlin, Germany
Using SSD pretty often right now and this bugs the hell out of me.

SSD "needs" a few seconds to start playing it's samples, it starts after some bars. I'm using other VST'is without any problem.

Cubase 7.5(64bit), SSDrums running from an SSD(Os is also SSD, talking drives right now ;)), on a AMD 8 Core PC(8 GB Ram).

Some ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure I understand the problem. I'm running a decently spec'd machine and my drum samplers always take a few seconds to load all the samples.

Maybe it was explained bad.

Not the time to load new samples is my problem, the delay when I hit play in my DAW is. If I start a part in a song everything starts right now, except SSD, it joins after some bars...

I was thinking same as bryan_kilco, but with actual problem I can't think anything, because I haven't noticed like that (Reaper and FL Studio).

Is your buffer set super high?
IIRC I think that can mess up the midi since it's basically the midi "tracking" the drum sounds.

Just some shots in the dark but check the VST audio system driver in Cubase to make sure it didn't default to something other than your main driver. Or try the old preference refresh :( almost fixes all the problems with cubase I've ever had. http://www.pendlebury.biz/sbprefs has a walkthrough on it but I usually go Start > Run > type %appdata% > Steinberg > move the appropriate Cubase folder to desktop > relaunch Cubase and it will rebuild it's pref files then see if the error still exisits. If it does then you know it's not your preferences and then you can delete the new Cubase folder that was created and move yours back from the desktop and have all your old preferences back. You may have already tried it but I'm not sure what else it could be instead of a driver or pref problem :( sorry man.

Is your buffer set super high?
IIRC I think that can mess up the midi since it's basically the midi "tracking" the drum sounds.

Yeah, super high, indeed, 1024, will check tomorrow with lower buffer, but non the less, if this is the problem I'm screwed, VTM and VBC are challenging the f... out of my machine...

Just some shots in the dark but check the VST audio system driver in Cubase to make sure it didn't default to something other than your main driver. Or try the old preference refresh :( almost fixes all the problems with cubase I've ever had. http://www.pendlebury.biz/sbprefs has a walkthrough on it but I usually go Start > Run > type %appdata% > Steinberg > move the appropriate Cubase folder to desktop > relaunch Cubase and it will rebuild it's pref files then see if the error still exisits. If it does then you know it's not your preferences and then you can delete the new Cubase folder that was created and move yours back from the desktop and have all your old preferences back. You may have already tried it but I'm not sure what else it could be instead of a driver or pref problem :( sorry man.

I will check that out, thanks for the suggestions, everything is welcome!

FFS, it's a drum synth using Fuck knows how much ram.
Render the fucking thing and stop moaning.

Yeah, super high, indeed, 1024, will check tomorrow with lower buffer, but non the less, if this is the problem I'm screwed, VTM and VBC are challenging the f... out of my machine...

I will check that out, thanks for the suggestions, everything is welcome!

Well, you're using VTM and VBC in a mixing scenario, am I correct? If that's the case and those introduce a lot of latency, you should either:

A. Apply those after you've finished composing/writing/producing/whatever the entire track.

B. Complete the drum track and then bounce it to stem(s).

If your buffer is really high, I'm pretty sure that is the cause for your issue here. Typically a high buffer will mess with MIDI.

Well, I never had problems with buffer at max in FL and Reason.
My shot in dark would be maybe you have bussed everything else but SSD which is going straight to master bus (or stuff on everything else buss have some VTM or something else that give latency but have bad latency compensation, or that's on drum buss).