The first "this band should be at next years prog power" thread

MaxX

Jew Unit
Aug 25, 2004
Georgia Tech
www.xanga.com
This was the first year Glenn took a chance on a progressive death metal band and personally I think it went over really well. I like to see some more prog-death at the next prog-power. =)

I want to see someone like Opeth or Beyond the Embrace.

Also I want to see some like Porcupine Tree or Fates Warning.

If Fates Warning and Opeth were both on the bill next year I may consider killing my family to go to the show if necessary.

Edit - Kalmah would be nice too

When I am older and have money I'm going to start progdeathusa and its going to be the 2nd largest metalfest in the US next to ProgPower. =p

Not if I beat you there first. :)

Opeth....would have been great before they toured the US (and in fact, Glenn approached them in 2002 with the idea; I would have been a sponsor). Now, since they've toured here, it wouldn't be "special."

--Unless they were contractually required to play a 2-hour set, 22 min. of which would be "Black Rose Immortal." NOW we're talkin'. Fans would come from all over. :D

Fates Warning could be possible, I suppose. If we can have Savathing, FW might be something Glenn could look at, but he could probably get two other bands instead for the same cost.

Just thinking in terms of returning bands for next year from PP IV, I'd love to see Mercenary and Nightwish return....although the latter are set to tour the US widely, so that'd probably kill the idea.

Superior, Therion, Ayreon, and other near-impossibilities top my list of bands I'd like to see. :D

I'm really hoping that Glenn and Sonata Arctica can avoid the scheduling conflicts for PPVI. I'm pretty much banking on Symphony X, Evergrey, and Mercenary to be there next year. Toss in Sonata Arctica, Kotipelto (did he sound fucking killer live!!!)... and to me it wouldn't matter who else was there. Pyramaze also would be really sweet.

Yipes, forgot about Sonata Arctica. :eek:

Evergrey's a given, methinks. \m/

I'm not sure PP5 can legally be ruled a "true" Progpower yet...after all, there were no members of Evergrey or Zero Hour present. :eek: :( :)

Kotipelto (or maybe a Stratovarius reunion), Shaman, ORPHANED LAND as the oddball, I'd fly anywhere to see these 3 bands... How about an ARK reunion?

Other choices include Rhapsody, the return of Angra and Blind Guardian, The Gathering... omg, so many....

1) Shaman

1a) Fates Warning with John Arch

A lot of others I'd desire to see..I Mother Earth, Dead Soul Tribe /Psychotic Waltz Reunion, Sonata Arctica, Royal Hunt (with DC Cooper), Superior and Zero Hour returns, Galactic Cowboys reunion..amongst many others..

Kyle

Persuader!!!!!!
I would kill to see these guys, and they deserve more exposure. Putting them in the opening slot would be great. Killer aggressive power metal with a vocalist who sounds a lot like Hansi.

Symphony X needs to be there as well.

I guess The Lord Weird Slough Feg aren't big enough to be there, but they're putting a CD out this year or early next year, and it would be good exposure for them. Definately one of the more unique bands in metal today.

...This would probably be impossible, but I've always wanted to see all the songs from Avantasia done live. Especially Glory of Rome. Maybe you can do an Edguy/Virgin Steele line up, and cap off the night with an extended Avantasia setlist.

Also, Elvenking. Now that they've gotten back with Damnagoras, I'd kill to see them live.

Personally, I don't want any death metal there at all.

ANDROMEDA AND ZERO HOUR
ANDROMEDA AND ZERO HOUR
ANDROMEDA AND ZERO HOUR

Okay, 3 times is enough, no waitaminute, it's not.

ANDROMEDA AND ZERO HOUR

:)

SinsAndShadows said:
Persuader!!!!!!
I would kill to see these guys, and they deserve more exposure. Putting them in the opening slot would be great. Killer aggressive power metal with a vocalist who sounds a lot like Hansi.

Persuader gets a vote from me as well. At the top of my list though would be a Conception reunion! :worship:

Pellaz said:
Opeth....would have been great before they toured the US (and in fact, Glenn approached them in 2002 with the idea; I would have been a sponsor). Now, since they've toured here, it wouldn't be "special."

--Unless they were contractually required to play a 2-hour set, 22 min. of which would be "Black Rose Immortal." NOW we're talkin'. Fans would come from all over. :D

Very very good point. At first I thought, "Opeth tours the U.S. all the time so it wouldn't be a big deal", but if they played a ton of stuff from the first two albums, that would be quite special indeed.

Who is up for a Conception reunion?? :headbang:

Oh and also Sonata Arctica...And maybe the rule about not having the same band in two PP's in a row can be broken to have Kamelot on there again... :)

Some bands I'd like to see:

Sonata Arctica
Nocturnal Rites
Labyrinth
Aghora
Amaran
Gordian Knot
Ron Jarzombek