the flu got me bad...tons of work to do, though

jangoux

May 9, 2006
Hey guys,

I got the flu since yesterday and my body feels like crap. Heads hurts and weights a ton, my body hurts as fuck, I can barely walk normally as my joints are really stiff. My timing was really flexible some time ago, so I could easily cancel some clients and put them on other days. However, my schedule looks like hell right now, a couple of CDs to finish and some really exigent clients on the next couple of weeks. How do you guys manage to work on your studios like that?

I hear you. I had to cancel the last two weekends. Luckily, one was rescheduled for this weekend and the other hopefully for may..
But this cold is really fucking annoying. No usual symptoms (runny nose, cough) but fever for the first 2-3 days, sore throat for a week and now I've had minor temperature and just feeling weak and like shit for the past 2 weeks. No end in sight as my friends and band mates have had the same symptoms for a week longer than me!!

If the bands/artists really want to work with you, they'll reschedule if they can and are not under any deadlines.
If they won't.. well.. fuck it, your body needs rest when it tells you to rest. It's shitty with the bills piling up, but if you don't stop, it might get worse and take longer.

^ Absolutely true. As much rest and sleep as possible. Proper healing. Plus, the quality of your work will most probably suffer as well if you force yourself in this condition.
A little offtopic: what I'm really afraid of are clients who "just got sick but came to get their stuff recorded". Got it into my studio rules: "If you're sick, RESCHEDULE THE SESSION".
It's better to deal with flu the right way. Quicker and no consequences.

I had to mix an album in Mono once, because i had an ear infection in my left ear and my eardrum and middle ear were ocluded by mucus. I could only hear from the right ear, so I decided to mix in Mono and leave the stuff that required me to hear in stereo for the last days in hopes that I'd be able to do something.

Every year I fuck up some mix because of a cold...

I ended up having to cancel a whole day of work (yesterday). Friday I worked at morning, it was tough but could handle it, but on the afternoon I started getting fever at the middle of the session and after it, I jumped straight to the bed and almost never left it. It feels like 'dengue', a tropical virus, but it is only a real bad flu. The thing got me bad, already clearly lost weight and next time I will just say 'fuck it' and reschedule everything prior to getting this bad.

Btw, I feel you Erik, In December i got an ear infection and one my ears felt swollen for two weeks. I mixed everything stereo and used to check the 'bad' side with my good ear lol