the results of the UM Users top 100 metal album poll

immortal is probably my favorite band and i like all their cds..i didnt vote..but i woulda voted pure holocaust before i voted SOND..though SOND is a fucking awesome cd

Certainly a refreshing list, albeit not very akin to mine. I'm particularly pleased to see The Chasm's "Conjuration of the Spectral Empire" rank higher than "Deathcult." I suspected I may have been the sole forum member to bear such an opinion...

kollex said:
1) Slayer-Reign in Blood
2) Emperor-Anthems to the welkin at dusk
4) Emperor-In the Nightside Eclipse
5) Dissection-Storm of the nights Bane
6) Opeth-Morningrise
7) Suffocoation-Pierced from within
11) Metallica-Masters of puppets
12) Opeth-my arms your hearse
13) Mayhem-De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas
14) Opeth-Still life
16) Slayer-Hell awaits
18) Morbid Angel-Blessed are the sick
19) Death-Symbolic
20) Metallica-Ride the lighting
22) Agalloch-The Mantle
23) Metallica-And Justice for all
24) Carcass-Necroticism Descanting the Insalubrious
26) Opeth-Blackwater Park
28) Dimmu Borgir-Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia
29) Decapitiated-Nihility
30) Carcass-Heartwork
31) Selpultura-Beneath the remains
34) Cannibal Corpse-tomb of the mutilated
35) Morbid Angel-Altars of madness
39) Cryptospy-None so Vile
40) Dimmu Borgir-Enthrone Darkness triumphant
42) Death-the sound of pervservance
46) Emperor-Promtheus
48) Megadeth-rust in peace
49) In Flames-Colony
49) Slayer-seasons in the abyss
50) Opeth-Orchid
53) Immolation-close to a world below
55) Devin Townshends ocean machine-Biomech
56) Satyricon-nemsis divina
59) Zyklon-World ov worms
61) Children of Bodom-Hatebreeder
63) Cryptospy-Blasphemies of the flesh
67) Children of bodom-follow the reaper
73) The Crown-Deathrace king
74) Death-Indivdual Thought Patterns
76) Kreator-pleasure to kill
77) Iced Earth-Burnt offerings
78) Dream Theater-Awake
80) Iced Earth-something wicked this way comes
84) Agalloch-pale folklore
85) Testament-the Gathering
91) Dark Tranquility-the gallery
92) Death-Human
93) Dismember-like an everflowing stream
97) Testament-the new order
98) Fear Factory-Demanfacture
100) Cannibal Corpse-Bloodthirst
I own half of the top 100 albums HOORAY FOR ME.

DiscipleOfPlato said:
Certainly a refreshing list, albeit not very akin to mine. I'm particularly pleased to see The Chasm's "Conjuration of the Spectral Empire" rank higher than "Deathcult." I suspected I may have been the sole forum member to bear such an opinion...

Heh, it's not something I'd really moan about. They're both superb in their own right, I just find Deathcult... to be a little bit more unique and explorative.

Anthems... is definitely far too high. Only 2 in the top 10 are not, methinks.

I'm very pleased with Demilich, The Chasm and Arghoslent's respectively high places. I'm pleased that the only Amorphis release there is The Karelian Isthmus. It's nice to see the Moonblood included too. Shame there's no Sacramentum or Necrophobic, yet Dissection make it into the top 5.

Why is doom not represented with such greats as Skepticism, Thergothon, Esoteric, and Arcane Sun? This troubles me.

(or maybe I missed 'em in the list)

It's realy quite a good list, by any standards.

But it's true, Anthems doesnt deserve the #2 spot... but a top 10 spot was to be expected.

Personally i think thats a pretty average list. Far too heavily concentrated on Black Metal, which to me is one of the least influential and complete genre's within metal

I think you only have to note placings 2,3,4 to see this.

True, the list was a litle black metal heavy, but I was pelased with it. I'm more concerned with who was included more than what order.

For the record, though...Demanufacture should definitely have been way higher than #98.

Sunlapse said:
yeah, demanufacture needs to be higher.....

and there needs to be a hypocrisy album there..... i guess hypocrisy are more underrated than i thought

Hipocrisy are terrible, they went from mediocre swedish death metal to poppy metal crap

worst
band
ever

poppy metal.... please.... if songs like "Until The End", "Reversed Reflections", "Seeds Of The Chosen One", "Request Denied", "Slippin' Away", or "Slave To The Parasites" are "poppy metal", then shit, i guess this so called "poppy metal" kicks ass... you see, i don't judge what makes good music by the lack of accessability, like so many metalheads love to do

Guardian of Darkness said:
Shame there's no Sacramentum or Necrophobic, yet Dissection make it into the top 5.
Sacramentum better then Dissection... hahaha! Oh and Anthems is placed perfectly...

I just counted but forgot right away, but I have just under 40 of the albums...