I think that you're doing a completely wrong comparison

Most successful prog-metal band Dream Theater

Studio albums
When Dream and Day Unite (1989)
Images and Words (1992)
Awake (1994)
A Change of Seasons (EP) (1995)
Falling into Infinity (1997)
Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory (1999)
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (2002)
Train of Thought (2003)
Octavarium (2005)
Systematic Chaos (2007)
Black Clouds & Silver Linings (2009)
A Dramatic Turn of Events (2011)

3 years are maximum between the albums. It is fair to music fans. It's not about Threshold.

Even this forum sleeps already.

Alright.. comparing Dream Theater with Threshold is a bit weird but here are my 2 cents:

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (2002)
Train of Thought (2003)
Systematic Chaos (2007)
A Dramatic Turn of Events (2011)

Those four ones are weak to me! And there's not even one Threshold album that sounds weak to me!
I guess a creative break is good. And even when it has been 5 years... Look at Blind Guardian.
They take their brakes
1988: Battalions of Fear
1989: Follow the Blind
1990: Tales from the Twilight World
1992: Somewhere Far Beyond
1995: Imaginations from the Other Side
1998: Nightfall in Middle-Earth
2002: A Night at the Opera
2006: A Twist in the Myth
2010: At the Edge of Time

...Although they should return to the 'nightfall' era....

Many bands need some extra time between albums and some not. And I think the change of frontmen is another point. Songs that have been written maybe don't fit to Damian anymore.
Look at 'Clone' This album was written for Damian. Mac did a good job but for me it will always sound wrong.
If you really like Threshold you woulnd't have started this annoying discussion.
Just be happy they're doing another album! Till then keep listening to the good old ones!

Why are you so keen on the next Threshold album anyway if you're so sure it's going to be weak? Speaking of money as opposed to art, have you got any idea how different things are in this age, where getting decent income from cd sales and without a day job is virtually impossible for most bands? Threshold never had a bad release, let alone pointless one, whereas that wasn't the case with the so called most successful progressive-metal band.
Funny you should say disrespectful, I guess downloading League of Lights didn't trigger the feeling of guilt as it apparently wasn't of good enough quality.

I can't hardly wait to hear some new Threshold material! But... it's very difficult to write a good song. Even if it means that we have to wait another 2 or 3 years for another record that is going to be as previous records or surpass quality, i'm ready for it. By the way, speaking of Dream Theater, if we want to be objective, any of their records since 1995, hasn't matched Awake or Images And Words. I remember hearing Falling Into Infinity, it was shocking and it left me dissapointed. To make great record, that is painstakingly process, and i wouldn't like to hear Threshold's version of Falling Into Infinity, but something that will be in their own league, as always. At the whole, for all good things in life, we have to wait. :)

Oh, by the way, speaking of gaps:

Threshold - Dead Reckoning -> 3 years after subsurface, it's their best album so far
Symphony X - Paradise Lost -> 5 years after Odysseys, it's their best album so far
Spock's Beard - X -> 4 years after Spock's Beard, and it's their best album with Nick on vocals

Do I need to go on?

Oh, by the way, speaking of gaps:

Threshold - Dead Reckoning -> 3 years after subsurface, it's their best album so far
Symphony X - Paradise Lost -> 5 years after Odysseys, it's their best album so far
Spock's Beard - X -> 4 years after Spock's Beard, and it's their best album with Nick on vocals

Do I need to go on?

and yet: I consider Critical Mass to be Threshold's weakest release, and it came only one year after Hypothetical... but it's just a case, huh?

Well, you consider Critical Mass Threshold's weakest release, i don't, for me it's great record and my favorite. In my opinion it was making few steps forward.
If you already speaking of gaps, for me Pink Floyd is the best progressive rock band ever, and my favorite. Their last five studio records were released :

Animals (1977)
The Wall (1979)
The Final Cut (1983)
A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)
The Division Bell (1994)

So.... what difference does it make?

Like i said, if i have to wait another 2 or 3 years so could hear something like Dead Reckoning or even better, i don't have problem with that.
I don't think that this gap is disrespectful, i think that there must be some good reasons for it.
None of use isn't in Richard's or Karl's shoes, so we could judge them.

By the way, also great progressive band Rush, their last studio record was released in 2007, so as Threshold's, they haven't released new record, yet. Release has been delayed.
So what now? Their fans should stop liking them?